Retention of Information

Wildland FF

Forum Probie
How do you guys retain all the information and skills that are required to be an EMT (Basic, I, Paramedic, etc). I can imagine that working in the field will keep you exposed to the matter enough that it becomes your second nature, but what about if you have some down time, or you have not been hired yet into a company? What if the agency you work for does not require you to use your EMS skills on a daily basis, just on rare occasions?

Got any tips for keeping up-to-date and being sharp with all the skills that require you to be good at EMS?

*edit to add* All tips, practices, and ideas are appreciated and welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Don't stop learning (books, journals, make nurse and doctor friends, etc.), have discussions with coworkers about possible situations and past calls, and precept if you have the opportunity.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Trust me, just working in the field doesn't mean you'll retain what you're supposed to know. Most medics go their whole career without doing a surgical cric on a patient, but we're expected to know how to if the situation arises.

How do we maintain that (atleast the people that care)? Self study, and CEs.

Look at people like MedicaRob, Jimi, usalfyre, me, and other... we read medical stuff on our off time for (gasp) fun! It furthers our knowledge, keeps things fresh, expands our practice, and you learn something new.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Podcast are the bees knees...

I've also spent a lot on text books and CE classes/conferences. The advice I'll give you is seek out info that is of a higher level than your current certification level, and try to go back to college and take some basic sciences if you can (I'm in the process of doing that right now).

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Podcast are the bees knees...

I've also spent a lot on text books and CE classes/conferences. The advice I'll give you is seek out info that is of a higher level than your current certification level, and try to go back to college and take some basic sciences if you can (I'm in the process of doing that right now).

What podcasts do you listen to? I'm working out a lot more nowadays, and need something new in the ipod.

OP
OP
Wildland FF

Wildland FF

Forum Probie
Some real useful tips in here. Can you guys tell me the specifics? I'm also very interested in the pod casts. I'm looking to self study. Anyone got any good EMT-B study guides that's not like a huge textbook, but at the same time very informative and maybe (if it's not asking too much) an enjoyable read? :D

Veneficus

Forum Chief

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I enjoyed Pathologic Basis of Disease so much I read it twice.

1447 pages. :)

I'm teaching a high school anatomy class that sometimes has me racing over to the copy of Gray's I got in the 4th grade. What is that, like 2,000 pages?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I'm teaching a high school anatomy class that sometimes has me racing over to the copy of Gray's I got in the 4th grade. What is that, like 2,000 pages?

No idea.

I really like clinically oriented anatomy, but I own 7 different atlases.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
What podcasts do you listen to? I'm working out a lot more nowadays, and need something new in the ipod.

My favorite right now is EMCrit. The format is just about the right length for me and passes on a fair bit of info that can be placed into even my limited level of practice. When I was doing CCT I also listened to Dr. Guy's ICU Rounds but there's just not a lot of applicable info in there for me right now.

Other favorites are the EMS Research Podcast and EMS Garage. Linuss told me he listens to EMS Educast the other day, I haven't had a chance to check that one out.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Wildland, know thineself.

1. Find your best learning mode (listening, discussing, hands-on, watching a video, watching the real thing) and try to work it hard.
2. Work it. Get into providing care, legally and not as a freelancer.
3. Take refresher courses.
4. I did it by overlearning (along with Edition TWO of "Care and Transportation", I had Grays Anatomy in one hand and the Merck Manual in the other). I've learned more and reinforced what I learned by teaching (preparing lesson plans, vioe aids, and outlines...not to mention listening to my students).
5. Um, be active HERE!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
1. Find your best learning mode (listening, discussing, hands-on, watching a video, watching the real thing) and try to work it hard.
2. Work it. Get into providing care, legally and not as a freelancer.
3. Take refresher courses.
4. I did it by overlearning (along with Edition TWO of "Care and Transportation", I had Grays Anatomy in one hand and the Merck Manual in the other). I've learned more and reinforced what I learned by teaching (preparing lesson plans, vioe aids, and outlines...not to mention listening to my students).
5. Um, be active HERE!
I am a big believer in that if you want to really know some subject, you should endeavor to teach that subject. Why? You have to learn the subject WELL to be able to teach it, and you'll further solidify your knowledge by having to continually do research to stay on the leading edge of knowledge. Also, when your students ask you questions, the more knowledge you have on tap in your head, the easier it'll be to answer their questions right on the spot. As a teacher, you'll be more able to pick out the other teachers that have become stale... and avoid those.

jrm818

Forum Captain
My favorite right now is EMCrit. The format is just about the right length for me and passes on a fair bit of info that can be placed into even my limited level of practice. When I was doing CCT I also listened to Dr. Guy's ICU Rounds but there's just not a lot of applicable info in there for me right now.

Other favorites are the EMS Research Podcast and EMS Garage. Linuss told me he listens to EMS Educast the other day, I haven't had a chance to check that one out.

Podcasts/lectures are fantastic resources, especially if you drive a lot (I drive an hour to and from school, and often feel like I learn more from the car ride than the actual classes....) I'm a major fan of EMCrit as well, it does seem to be short and sweet enough to be readily retainable without being oversimplified.

A few more options, in the vein of going "above your level." I often find that I retain about half of what I hear, so I figure if I listen to more advanced material, I'll remember the half or so that is applicable to EMS practice.

Courtesy of Mel Herbert, these are lectures, not podcasts, but some really supurb educators/researchers here. Listening to the stuff here has expanded my perspective on medicine tremendously: (some are better viewed with video, but panel discussions and some lectures are fine audio only). If you want to learn how to really pick apart research, listen to anything with david schriger or jerry hoffman in it.
http://www.alllaconference.com/

If you're into evaluating research and EBM David Newman's SMART EM is fantastic, although some topics are not EMS scope: http://smartem.org/smartem.org/Podcast/Podcast.html

I've just recently found this Canadian contribution. The casts are rather long, but very comprehensive, and actually pretty relevant to EMS: http://www.emergencymedicinecases.com/

And many many more:
http://enw.org/OpenAccessMP3s.htm
http://www.emchattanooga.com/