resume question

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
hey everyone!

i've put together an EMT resume and i've combined my education/certifications into one section.

since this is my first job as an EMT-B, i have to really sell myself.

exactly what skills are they expecting us to list on our resume? CPR/AED for Adult/Child, CPR for Infant. I really don't know what all I can list for this section.

if anyone can help me, i'd really appreciate it. I have an interview on Wednesday, I've been working on this resume this past weekend and my teacher hasn't even got back to me the answer to my question.

thanks!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems a resume is not even needed if you already have the interview.

Most EMT B jobs I have come across have never asked for a resume, instead they only want the application completed.

Typically these are sent in prior to an interview and generally you should carry a copy with you the day of in case someone should wish to peruse it quickly, but for the most part it will not be read or addressed at this point, especially for an entry level EMT B position.

Skills and certifications are two different things.

Do not list your CPR cards as skills.

Skills I want in an EMT B are willingness to learn, ability to be team player and punctuality.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you are an EMT, they expect you to already be CPR/AED certified, so don't put that.

This is pretty much what I had on my resume that landed me a job at the first agency I applied to.

Steven --------
Permanent Address--123 Fake Street, Crowley Texas, 76036
Phone Number--123-456-789
Email-- myemail@yahoo.com
Objective To obtain an Emergency Medical Technician position

Professional Experience Assistant Manager
A store, Fort Worth, Texas
• Manage up to 10 employees at any one time
• Order product for three stores
• Handle customer complaints
• Handle employee complaints
• Manage income book for the stores
• Do on-site deliveries for customers
• Make advertisement phonecalls
2006-Present

Paintball Referee, (1 year before field closed)
The Paintball Arena, Pontiac Michigan
• Supervise safety of customers
• Maintain gear and equipment rentals
• Specify rules for customers
2003-2004

Education Lake Orion High School, Lake Orion Michigan, 2003-2006

Arlington Heights High School Fort Worth Texas, 2006-Dec 2006
--Graduated with diploma

Tarrant County College, Fall 2007- Present
--Criminal Justice Major
--EMT-Basic course, Fall 2008.
--NREMT-B Certified
--Rode with MedStar Fort Worth and Hurst Fire Department for clinical time

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Like these guys have said as an entry level EMT-B you can put down you have your EMT-B and are nationally registered but don't worry about making a grocery list of certifications. I have my CPR listed on mine with the expiration date but you don't need to be specific and break it down to adult/child/infant blah blah blah, everything on your resume should be short and sweet. All EMT-B's should have the same skill set and certifications coming out of school and they know what they're getting there so the biggest thing you can do to sell yourself is prove that your personality works with their system and you have good bedside manner. Those are two things not taught in class that are very important throughout your career.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Like AK said, but add this:

write your CV (resume) on a 3X5 for use filling out applications, and use accurate character references with titles like Colonel, Deputy, and Reverend.

Coptrainer

Forum Probie
I see you're in California. Don't forget that you'll probably need to go to DMV and get your ambulance driver's license. It's just a written test and no driving test, so it can be done quickly. You'll need to have your fingerprints taken too.

8jimi8

CFRN
Try to think of the answer to this question. "What is your biggest weakness?" I thought long and hard about how I could pick something that wouldn't be a detriment to a service and all I could come up with is my diet.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Try to think of the answer to this question. "What is your biggest weakness?" I thought long and hard about how I could pick something that wouldn't be a detriment to a service and all I could come up with is my diet.

Yeah that one caught me up too. I said that my biggest weakness in EMS is that I'm sometimes overly cautious and it prevents me from just "jumping in". Decided on that because a) I truly believe it, b) got that feedback from preceptors on clinicals c) it's something that is a very positive trait when corrected slightly