restarting algorithm for rhythm change

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
So if a patient converts from PEA to VT after admin. of epi ...you restart at the top of the next appropriate aglorithm, right?

Also, do you administer EPi agian from the top or go to Amio?

This is for NREMT....so please only state "curriculum apporved answers" lol

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
You do not restart, ever.

You gave 2 epi then you gave 2 epi for every algorithm.

Patient converts to VF, you give amio, they go asystole and then back to VF you don't give amio again and start over.

OP
OP
E

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
You do not restart, ever.

You gave 2 epi then you gave 2 epi for every algorithm.

Patient converts to VF, you give amio, they go asystole and then back to VF you don't give amio again and start over.

I'm sorry I just realized that was a stupid question... Since I've now realized I'm way to tired to study right now...thanks for reply though

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The trick is learning to transition between protocols, like NY said, you don't restart.

So in your example first rhythm check reveals PEA, epi x1 and CPR for 2 minutes then the next rhythm check shows VF, epi is first in the VF algorithm but you've already given it per the PEA algorithm so next up is amio.

Does that make sense?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
If the rhythm transitions into VF, then wouldn't defibrillation come before another round of Epi?

Yes.

You need to realize they expect you to have some knowledge of what you are doing while following their algorithm.

When you transition into something, you move to the primary treatment for that rhythm but the only treatments you ever repeat are vasopressors and electrical therapies. De-fibrillation and CPR ALWAYS comes first. If it is time to shock, fire away.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If the rhythm transitions into VF, then wouldn't defibrillation come before another round of Epi?

Sorry, kinda figured that was implied, should have been more specific.

Like NY said, you need to understand why you're doing what you're doing rather than just blindly following an algorithm.

Random fun fact, we don't defibrillate fine VF if it presents as the initial rhythm where I work. 2 minutes of quality CPR then reassess.

Check out the electrical, circulatory and metabolic phases of cardiac arrest.