Relocating to TX, Starting wage for medic really 10.31 ?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Except MedStar isn't a private :D

And CareFlite technically is a co-op between a bunch of the areas big hospitals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Except MedStar isn't a private :D

And CareFlite technically is a co-op between a bunch of the areas big hospitals.

I thought Medstar was a 501c non-profit? Isn't that private?

For the sake of what he was asking I just did two categories, public and private. I didnt break it down into hosp. Based, co-ops, non profit vs for profit

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
MedStar is in all technicality a government entity just like police and fire departments. Purely non-profit billing, every penny in goes right back in to the employees and system for things such as new gear, units, etc.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
When you're quoted an hourly wage, you have to know your schedule. For example, @ 40 hrs/wk your yearly income is $21,444.80. @ 48 hours, it's 28,021.76. @56, it's $34,453.12.

If you're fire based FLSA, you're paid OT on every hour past 212 (in a 28 day pay cycle) as 1.5X, which averages out to 53 hours/wk straight time, and 3 hours/wk 1.5X. If this is the case, you're making $29,217.76.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
It definitely helps, thank you :). I was searching and happened to find a PDF with every ambulance service in Texas on it, 54 pages long ! geez and I though California had a lot. If anyone is interested in it I can email it to you, or if its ok I came post it somewhere. Just thought I would mention it for anyone looking into Texas ambulance companies.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I only told you bout Central Texas

DFW area you got Medstar and AMR Arlington, also Careflite.

South you got Acadian(911) and uhhhhhhhhh, I don't know of many more privates down south that I would feel comfortable referring you to.

East? Well, there are over 300 in Houston alone. Cypress creek is a good one.

West? Well, there are better people to ask on here than me like Rocketmedic

North? AMR Amirillo, Lubbock EMS, AMR Whichita Falls

This is just a list of the privates like you had asked.

Lubbock EMS has some good opportunities, as does Pecos's Statair and a few county services like Fort Stockton. There's almost nothing between Pecos and El Paso that's even paid, and I wouldn't recommend that place. El Paso is all fire, with the privates paying poorly. AMR is close by too.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
It definitely helps, thank you :). I was searching and happened to find a PDF with every ambulance service in Texas on it, 54 pages long ! geez and I though California had a lot. If anyone is interested in it I can email it to you, or if its ok I came post it somewhere. Just thought I would mention it for anyone looking into Texas ambulance companies.

PM me the link?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
List of Texas ambulance companies Im aware of so far

* mark the private ones that I was told pay the best. Would Anyone like to add any Im unaware of that might be a good idea to look into ? Do I have them in the correct approx region ? I am mapping these out so I have an idea where they are all in proximity to each other, then going to apply to all that are accepting and then of course wait on pins and needles like everyone else has done :)

North Texas

AMR- (911) Amarillo, TX
AMR- (911) Wichita falls, TX
Lubbock EMS (911) Lubbock, TX

Dallas, Fort Worth

MedStar (911 in Ft Worth area)
AMR- Arlington, TX
AMR- Collin county
AMR- IFT only in Dallas
Care flight- (HEMS, 911 in Johnson County, IFT rest DFW)
Wise County (911)
Rockwall County (911)
Hood County (911)

East Texas
*ETMC (911) based in Tyler, TX
Champion EMS (911) based in Longview, TX
Cypress Creek EMS (911) Spring, TX

Southern Texas

Montgomery County (911) (look into)
Williamson County (911)
Austin/Travis County (911)
*Acadian (911)
*Capital EMS (911 ?) Lampasas, TX
Fayette County EMS (911) La Grange, TX
Marble Falls EMS (911) Marble Falls, TX
San Marcos/Hays County EMS (911) San Marcos, TX
Llano County (911) Llano, TX run by Scott & White Health

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
* mark the private ones that I was told pay the best. Would Anyone like to add any Im unaware of that might be a good idea to look into ? Do I have them in the correct approx region ? I am mapping these out so I have an idea where they are all in proximity to each other, then going to apply to all that are accepting and then of course wait on pins and needles like everyone else has done :)

North Texas

AMR- (911) Amarillo, TX

Dallas, Fort Worth

AMR- Arlington, TX
AMR- Collin county
AMR- IFT only in Dallas
Wise County (911)
Rockwall County (911)
Hood County (911)

East Texas

Southern Texas

Williamson County (911)
*Acadian (911)

Looks good, but those ounes you have listed for the south are actually central texas. Except for San Antonio

Squad51

Forum Crew Member

North Texas

AMR- (911) Amarillo, TX

Dallas, Fort Worth

AMR- Arlington, TX
AMR- Collin county
AMR- IFT only in Dallas
Wise County (911)
Rockwall County (911)
Hood County (911)

East Texas

Southern Texas

Williamson County (911)
*Acadian (911)

You need to put a * next to Montgomery County and Austin Travis County. Both pay very well. Marble Falls is tough to get on with. Smaller service and very clickish from what I'm told. Also, ETMC and Champion pay within 5 cents an hour of each other. They might as well be equal.

And as far as that hourly rate, you're probably in the ballpark for the East Texas area. You have to remember though that you'll be making more annually though with the built in overtime on the 24hr shift. If you work a 9, 10, or 12 hour truck it's a higher hourly rate. I know it's confusing but it's so that everyone makes the same starting out annually. Basically a 24hr medic works more hours in the year, but makes the same as a 9hr medic annually. Strange. I've always said the 24's get screwed. But you only work 10 days a month, so it's a trade off I guess.

There's a formula for figuring out how much you'll make annually on the 24 hour shift that takes into account the built in overtime. It's something like you take your hourly rate and multiply it by 3,150? Something like that. So if it's a $10.31/hr rate it would come out to be $32,476.50. And cost of living is cheaper than in California. Gas prices are $3.54/gallon right now. A 3 bedroom, 2 bath brick home with a 2 car garage goes for $900/month.

OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
Wow thats incredible thanks for the info. I've got my flight booked for April 16 to head out to Texas and do some interviews. Hopefully someone pick me up :)

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow thats incredible thanks for the info. I've got my flight booked for April 16 to head out to Texas and do some interviews. Hopefully someone pick me up :)

I would be shocked if you interviewed with multiple private services and didn't get picked up by one of them

OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
Well I sure hope so :) Any suggestions on when I should apply ? Seeing that I can only afford a ticket 4 weeks out, I've heard it might be detrimental to apply now because supposedly employers/ hiring managers get back to most people applying to private companies within 3-5 days in TX. Someone mentioned I might want to wait till around April 1st to start submitting applications with my trip planned for April 16-19. Any words of wisdom from the thread on this ?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I notice that there's a lot of talk about hourly pay but remember that "compensation" includes things like insurance, vacation , sick time, 401k/pension Ect. I know some of these things might seem unimportant when you're young and starting out but when you're looking at offers try and remember to look at the whole package and not just the number that's going to be on your paycheck twice a month.

OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
Very true, good point.

Side note, what is everyones opinion on San Antonio ? Im looking at it as a big population, possibly great for lots of diverse calls, lots of experience etc. Ive heard horror stories though for people that don't speak spanish down there. I definitely want to learn, Ive heard submersion in the language is the best way to learn.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
No, apply now. You aren't going to hurt your chances. They'll understand that you're an out of state applicant. Be sure to send a resume with a cover letter. What you don't want to happen is to apply right before you get here and then the app hasn't made it to the right person in HR yet.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Very true, good point.

Side note, what is everyones opinion on San Antonio ? Im looking at it as a big population, possibly great for lots of diverse calls, lots of experience etc. Ive heard horror stories though for people that don't speak spanish down there. I definitely want to learn, Ive heard submersion in the language is the best way to learn.

Speaking Spanish would be a leg up for you definitely. You don't necessarily need to be fluent but it helps. Look into a Spanish for health care providers class.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
Speaking Spanish would be a leg up for you definitely. You don't necessarily need to be fluent but it helps. Look into a Spanish for health care providers class.

There's an app for that! Lol Seriously though, there really is. Medical Spanish app and it's probably the best 99 cents I've ever spent.