Relocating to San Diego

As the title states, I will be relocating to San Diego as I have been offered a job with Rural/Metro San Diego working out of their San Diego operations. My orientation starts on the 24th and I have two weeks to relocate. I am wondering if there are certain areas of San Diego that are better to live in than others? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steer clear of National City.....

OP
OP
C

terrible one

Always wandering
The beach cities are nice (pacific beach/ocean beach/mission beach) but I doubt you'll be able to afford them on RM salary unless you live with people.

OP
OP
C
The beach cities are nice (pacific beach/ocean beach/mission beach) but I doubt you'll be able to afford them on RM salary unless you live with people.

Beach living would be nice but, I'm looking for something more in the city and closer to work. Initially I'll be working out of Rural/Metro's BLS Annex.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
North Park, Normal Heights are good if you want to be in the city. Look for areas like La Mesa and El Cajon (suburbs) as well, the rents can be a bit cheaper in those areas as well. The annex is off the 15 and Aero dr and that makes it easy (except during rush hour) to get to from just about anywhere within 20 mins or less.

What kind of budget you planning on rent-wise?

OP
OP
C
North Park, Normal Heights are good if you want to be in the city. Look for areas like La Mesa and El Cajon (suburbs) as well, the rents can be a bit cheaper in those areas as well. The annex is off the 15 and Aero dr and that makes it easy (except during rush hour) to get to from just about anywhere within 20 mins or less.

What kind of budget you planning on rent-wise?

I'm thinking I want to spend 800-1000/mo on rent.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
check out craigslist sd "rooms/shared" section. with that budget you should be able to get a good set-up in pacific beach. if you want to save some money, check out the SDSU area.

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
Like what the others said, stay clear of National City/Chula Vista area. I think a good rule is to try to stay as north of the Mexican border as you can.

La Mesa, El Cajon, Pacific Beach, North Park are good areas others have suggested.

I would also suggest Mira Mesa as well - lots of family sized homes and there's usually a decent market of people looking for roommates (I live here; I should know..). Plus, you can hop right on the 15 which is a 10 minute drive from the BLS annex.

You might want to look into the Kearny Mesa / Clairemont Mesa area as well. Lots of apartments out there and it's a quick 10 minute drive to the BLS annex.

$800 - $1000/mo for rent alone is honestly a lot for a room. It might be a stretch trying to get a whole apartment for that rate, but for a room (say, in an apartment or in a house) it's plenty.

OP
OP
C
Like what the others said, stay clear of National City/Chula Vista area. I think a good rule is to try to stay as north of the Mexican border as you can.

La Mesa, El Cajon, Pacific Beach, North Park are good areas others have suggested.

I would also suggest Mira Mesa as well - lots of family sized homes and there's usually a decent market of people looking for roommates (I live here; I should know..). Plus, you can hop right on the 15 which is a 10 minute drive from the BLS annex.

You might want to look into the Kearny Mesa / Clairemont Mesa area as well. Lots of apartments out there and it's a quick 10 minute drive to the BLS annex.

$800 - $1000/mo for rent alone is honestly a lot for a room. It might be a stretch trying to get a whole apartment for that rate, but for a room (say, in an apartment or in a house) it's plenty.

I'm looking into getting an apartment.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So I just saw a Falk ambulance in San Diego, and on the back it read in fine print "Owned and operated by Care Ambulance of Orange, CA". I lol'd, 'cause isn't Care owned by Falk and not the other way around? Then I realized there's that "other" Care ambulance running around San Diego that's not the same company in OC and LA Co's.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Falck bought Care OC a year or so ago, they're operating under that "parent company" here in SD for now.

I agree it's strange but I'm sure the lawyers have found some sort of loophole that let them get operating faster than starting from scratch.