Relearning EMT Basics

Guermo

Forum Ride Along
So I took my EMT course about 2 years ago, and I have had a hard time getting work as an EMT, put I realized I am losing some knowledge. I need to reacquaint myself with all this but I am having a hard time finding a good way to dive in. What is the best way for me to keep my knowledge fresh? I have my EMT book, my NREMT practice book and all my notes from class. Thanks.

Genesis

Forum Probie
I'm in the same situation as you. This first term, I haven't worked EMS for very long because I moved to a different state twice and each time had to gain reciprocity. If you took your class 2 years ago like I did than your book is most likely out of date. I go to emtb.com and check out the resources there. It's usually updated with the latest version of the AAOS book. Last I read, they were on the 10th edition. My original class was taught on the 9th edition. Hope the website helps! Oh, and there's also a lot of EMS related apps for android and iphone. If you have either, you might want to check out the app store.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
The book is probably not that outdated compared to other EMT books (probably most EMT and Paramedic books are outdated compared to most medical literature). Only thing that has changed that I can think of for EMTs is the treatment for bleeds is direct pressure -> tourniquet (elevation and pressure points are no longer recommended), and CPR also changed (CAB instead of ABC).

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as psychomotor, you can always take BPs and listen to lung sounds on your friends and family. Same goes for trauma and medical patients exams.

For the cognitive material, there's not much to do, fortunately: I'd say that reviewing your protocols will be helpful, as would rereading the EMT review book (with textbook supplements for those sections you're least comfortable with).

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Scenarios are good, I think.