rectal administration of ASA

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, Yes it is. Aspirin has been proven to reduced morbidity and mortality in suspected MI. Nitro is a close second.

ASA is a core measure for AMI and must be administered by EMS or in the ER as well as prescribed on discharge. If not, no CMS payment.

Not trying to insult you but you do know that Aspirin is not used for pain, right?

This, plus ASA is probably the most important drug we can give for MI. Nitro, OTOH, has no conclusive evidence that it is beneficial in AMI.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
We use Aspegic iv, if patients are not able to take medication P.O.

Do you mean IV Tylennol? IRRC, Ofirmev only comes in 650mg or 1g. Either dosage is overkill for an ACS/stroke patient and does not have an ideal onset and duration for antiplatelet therapy.

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Retract my stupid previous post. I must have been half asleep.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
is the infamous NG tube no longer a part of the scope of practice?

If they arrested, bought a tube, and are sedated, dropping an NG should be an issue, then mixing up the ASA in a saline solution and drop it down the NG tube will be the same as if they chewed and swallowed it,

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
Heparin?

How about a bolus of heparin? I'm thinking that sticking anything up your patient PR is going to result in some vagal stimulation that could be detrimental during an AMI.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
How about a bolus of heparin? I'm thinking that sticking anything up your patient PR is going to result in some vagal stimulation that could be detrimental during an AMI.

Vagal stimulation? If patients are frequently vagaling when you rectalize them then you're doing something wrong. You don't need to tickle their ribs and you don't need more than one finger when you do it.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
is the infamous NG tube no longer a part of the scope of practice?

If they arrested, bought a tube, and are sedated, dropping an NG should be an issue, then mixing up the ASA in a saline solution and drop it down the NG tube will be the same as if they chewed and swallowed it,

We don't do NG tubes where I'm at, bet even if we did I imagine that I'd have priorities greater than trying to mush up ASA and get it down the tube during or after an arrest.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are mask-ventilating patient's and placing some type of advanced airway you really should have NG/OG tubes in your kit.

Being able to remove all the air that was pumped into the patient's stomach by an overzealous/untrained EMT (or paramedic) is quite nice. Thankfully this doesn't always happen, but when it does it's much better to fix the problem than to let it persist.

Depending on the patient, there may not be that much going on after getting ROSC; some require very aggressive treatment and remain peri-arrest, some don't, and some fall somewhere in between.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you are mask-ventilating patient's and placing some type of advanced airway you really should have NG/OG tubes in your kit.

Being able to remove all the air that was pumped into the patient's stomach by an overzealous/untrained EMT (or paramedic) is quite nice. Thankfully this doesn't always happen, but when it does it's much better to fix the problem than to let it persist.

Depending on the patient, there may not be that much going on after getting ROSC; some require very aggressive treatment and remain peri-arrest, some don't, and some fall somewhere in between.

I'm gonna echo this...

OP
OP
T

TYMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
I 100 percent agree. Need the ng tube. Unfortunately It's Not in my box. Asa pr administration was selected once his extensive mi was found post 15-lead. All elective post resuscitation treatments were already completed pre-hospital. Em route to the emergency room, anti-platlet therapy seemed necessary.

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
300 mg aspirin suppositories can be given to patients with various disorders of the upper GI tract.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Mask ventilation and placement of an airway does not routinely necessitate gastric decompression. In many cases they are actually associated with a higher risk of aspiration.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Mask ventilation and placement of an airway does not routinely necessitate gastric decompression. In many cases they are actually associated with a higher risk of aspiration.
Yes, that's true. But when mask ventilation does pump air into the stomach, the ability to remove it is beneficial.

So again, if you are mask ventilating patients and intubating, you really should have the ability to place a NG/OG tube for the times when it's needed.