Recertification refresher course

galadriel

Forum Probie
Here's hoping this question isn't obscenely ignorant! Am still job hunting here in southern Cal after a year and a half, and my license expires at the end of March 2012. Do I have to be employed to be able to take a recert refresher course? CE credits I have more than enough of, it was this 3-day, 24 credit class that I wasn't sure about...Thanks!

clibb

Forum Captain
Here's hoping this question isn't obscenely ignorant! Am still job hunting here in southern Cal after a year and a half, and my license expires at the end of March 2012. Do I have to be employed to be able to take a recert refresher course? CE credits I have more than enough of, it was this 3-day, 24 credit class that I wasn't sure about...Thanks!

You have to be affiliated with an EMS Agency to recert with National Registry.

JPINFV

Gadfly
However, you don't have to maintain NREMT certification to keep California licensure.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I wish the National Registry had an option for those of us who are employed by unaffiliated agency. The state of Massachusetts knows that I am affiliated with an EMS agency, but because my company chooses to not care about the NR, there is a significant chance that I'll have to let the NR lapse. That's a waste of money and time if there ever was one.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
However, you don't have to maintain NREMT certification to keep California licensure.

Very good point, my instructor was nice enough to point out this fact.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I wish the National Registry had an option for those of us who are employed by unaffiliated agency. The state of Massachusetts knows that I am affiliated with an EMS agency, but because my company chooses to not care about the NR, there is a significant chance that I'll have to let the NR lapse. That's a waste of money and time if there ever was one.

When did NREMT begin requiring affiliation? Can't you just get a signature?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When did NREMT begin requiring affiliation? Can't you just get a signature?

In order to have your continuing education approved, it has to be approved by your company's training officer. The first step towards affiliating is finding your agency in a drop down menu.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Afflilation just means that you can submit the paperwork online. If you get the paper recertification paperwork just fill it out get your signatures and submit it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It would seem on further review you are both correct. Excellent.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It would seem on further review you are both correct. Excellent.
It also takes literally minutes for your service to create a Training Officer's account on the NR website and begin authorizing recertifications. If you or one of your supervisors needs help, shoot me a PM...

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
The NREMT is backwards in their requirement that you affiliate with an agency in order. It's like requiring a doctor or a nurse to be working at a hospital or clinic in order to maintain their certifications. If the NREMT is trying to treat us like professionals they are confusing me.