Recert Refresher course by retaking EMT-B course?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am TAing an EMT-B class this coming semester (mostly doing logistics for the course and helping out with practical sessions), but hope to sit in on most of the lectures (troubleshooting for students, any my own knowledge). Am I able to count being present for certain lectures as my refresher course (as long as I sit in on the right topics, and fulfill the 24-hour requirement)? Of course, I would ask the instructor for permission.
Does anyone have an idea of how I would document it for MA OEMS and the NREMT?
Is there a precedent for Basic course refreshers that I dont know about?
I'm not up for recert until the end of '09, so I am not in any hurry.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Dan

aidan

Forum Crew Member
I am TAing an EMT-B class this coming semester (mostly doing logistics for the course and helping out with practical sessions), but hope to sit in on most of the lectures (troubleshooting for students, any my own knowledge). Am I able to count being present for certain lectures as my refresher course (as long as I sit in on the right topics, and fulfill the 24-hour requirement)? Of course, I would ask the instructor for permission.
Does anyone have an idea of how I would document it for MA OEMS and the NREMT?
Is there a precedent for Basic course refreshers that I dont know about?
I'm not up for recert until the end of '09, so I am not in any hurry.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Dan

Out here (So.Cal.), we have to actually be enrolled an approved (usually) college level refresher course.. I don't think that having sat in on one would fill the requirement, but I can't say with certainty. Also I think the only pre-requisite for an EMT-B refresher course is having taken the EMT-B course :).

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Not sure or I need better clarification. One must be enrolled and totally finish a 24 hour refresher course for Basic and then have 48 hours of approved CEU's for basic NREMT. The opposite for Paramedic (24 hour CEU and 48 hours refresher).

All has to be before the March or local ordinances.

R/r 911

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Oh, you.
I doubt that OEMS will accept that, and although Paul's a good guy, he's a bit slow at getting CE credit for his TAs. By "a bit slow", I mean that I never got any from last year. Or payment.
Why didn't you get in on our refresher?

OP
OP
M

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Thanks all for the clarification. I have no problem taking a separate refresher, was just curious. I'm not due to recert until the end of 2009, so didnt take the refresher this past month.
Mr. Conspiracy, I get the idea you know exactly who and what I am taking about-- what is your connection? Would you mind PMing me?
Thanks all for your replies,

Dan

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If you are NREMT all recertifications are due by the end of March each year.

R/r 911

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
How do I get some CEU's? I got until March 2011, but I want to know what else I need to do besides refresher.