Rare and Beyond Vintage 1940 A&J Resuscitator For sale!

NicholasSpencer

Forum Probie
Well I'm a collector of many things, or you could say everything. Along my travels, I came along this amazing example of 40'S A&J Resuscitator. I've seen only one other one and it's in the Boston Museum. The one I have, is in far better shape than the one in the Museum. Mine has owners manuals, all the paperwork and looks to be lightly used if ever used at all. The tanks are full and in amazing shape. I'll let the pictures do the talking. Thanks for looking. I'm open to offers. I paid a very pretty penny for it but I believe it should be in one of your hands. A EMT collector. It's awesome to think that this unit saved lives back then. My phone number is <removed> if you have any questions or want specific pictures. My name is Nick! I live in Maine and don't mind shipping at all if you cover it.

Attachments

• resutiator 1.jpg
    resutiator 1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 101
  • res 2.jpg
    res 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 89
  • res 3.jpg
    res 3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 87
  • res5.jpg
    res5.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 89
  • res6.jpg
    res6.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 78
  • res7.jpg
    res7.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

NicholasSpencer

Forum Probie
And this one is from 1970 and was considered top of the line back then. Sorry just doing some research and finding more about this awesome piece. This was EMT's number one piece back in the day!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
That's pretty cool. Roughly what does something like this cost these days?

samiam

Amazing Member
Just a heads up nick you may not want to post your personal phone number here. Better to have people contact you by PM. Just for privacy/security reasons. Not sure if you will be able to edit it. @Chimpie May have to remove it for you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It was a positive pressure device, like a demand valve, but required the patient to actively inhale to cycle the O2. So, it didn't work on non breathing patients.

From a great Mike Smith article in EMSworld:
With no real control over the development and implementation of equipment, we embarked on a trial and error process to expand the contents of our toolbox. One of those tools was the E&J Resuscitator—literally a hard shell suitcase with about 50 pounds of ventilator inside that you unceremoniously humped in to your patient. Once applied, it overventilated patients almost instantly—to the point of inflating the stomach—resulting in the patient vomiting, which the E&J then blew down into the patient’s lungs. As an old-dog physician once told me, “For patients who were going to die from a cardiac problem anyway, the E&J Resuscitator shortened the period of suffering, bringing about the patient’s demise quickly.”

(http://www.emsworld.com/article/10726124/ems-equipment)

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
So it won't brink someone back to life, which is what I thought of as resuscitation. Got it.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Dammit, DE, you raided my closet again!

dinesh

Forum Ride Along
Hi Nick,
Could you please e-mail me at (moderator edit: removed email address)
I am interested in your unit, Thanks
Dinesh Gill
(moderator edit: removed phone number)

• Participants may not post email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers, other screennames or any other methods of contact. Such information should be set up in your profile, or communicated to another member via the Private Message (PM) or Email feature.

Last edited by a moderator: