Rapid Application Tourniquet System (RATS) TQ

SMC

Forum Probie
I will continue to carry the CAT on my person. If some one has yo do Buddy aid on me I want them to be familiar with the device.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I was once voluntold to be a patient for a demonstration for a scenario. Said scenario involved a lacerated femoral artery. Staff provided a sort of "armor" around the injury site specifically for the TQ application so it could help with the pain. Long story short it didn't really help at all and that sum ***** hurt like hell. I toughed it out for the remainder of the scenario (<5 min). The CAT TQ causes an extreme amount of pain but it is effective, it left a welt on my thigh for 3 days after the application. I've seen the RATS TQ and was skeptical due to the limited surface area vs the CAT. The RATS boasts an easy application but IMHO the CAT is idiot proof and I prefer the CAT.

When I run a scenario like this for my agency, I have the person place the TQ, check for a distal pulse. I double check the distal pulse (to check for occlusion), and then I release the tourniquet, loosen it and leave it in place. The blood flow is occluded no more than 15-20 seconds. Maybe you could suggest something similar for the future? It’s important for your team to put it in place correctly, but that can be checked and released for the volunteer’s sake.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Why do we need to fully occlude flow? That sounds awful.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Although the RATs is inferior to the CAT in most circumstances it’s relative size makes it worth having. It is much more compact and can easily fit in a back jean pocket for daily carry. Also have one on the buttstock of my home defense rifle. The cost is another benefit as you can buy 3 for the price of 1 CAT. It will still slow hemorrhage if not completely occlude arterial flow and is much better than nothing at all until you can get to your primary med kit.