Quitting a new job for a better company?

sunkissed

Forum Probie
Hi guys! So I just got hired at an IFT company in LA. However, I am scheduled to test with CARE at the end of this month. CARE is truly where I want to work. Should I accept my current job offer and work there for the time being, then leave if I get hired at CARE? Or would that be distasteful to quit after such a short period of time?

islandmedic

Forum Probie
Take the IFT job. If for some reason Care doesn't work out, then at least you have a job. Also, when I got hired at Care it was about a month from the time I was offered the job until there was a new hire orientation for me to start. You could be making money in the meantime. Good luck!

Hi guys! So I just got hired at an IFT company in LA. However, I am scheduled to test with CARE at the end of this month. CARE is truly where I want to work. Should I accept my current job offer and work there for the time being, then leave if I get hired at CARE? Or would that be distasteful to quit after such a short period of time?

My current partner did just that. He worked at CARE San Diego for two weeks and upon being offered employment with Rural/Metro San Diego, he put his resignation notice in.

OP
OP
S

sunkissed

Forum Probie
Take the IFT job. If for some reason Care doesn't work out, then at least you have a job. Also, when I got hired at Care it was about a month from the time I was offered the job until there was a new hire orientation for me to start. You could be making money in the meantime. Good luck!

Thank you! :) Do you still work at Care?

My current partner did just that. He worked at CARE San Diego for two weeks and upon being offered employment with Rural/Metro San Diego, he put his resignation notice in.

Really? Maybe it's different in SD but in OC, I don't think anyone would leave Care for Rural/Metro

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

Really? Maybe it's different in SD but in OC, I don't think anyone would leave Care for Rural/Metro

The Care in San Diego and the Care in LA/OC are two different companies. Care SD is IFT only, while RM has the 911 contract with the City of San Diego.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Yeah go for the IFT job and test with CARE. Like islandmedic says if you don't get hired at CARE you still have a good job. Also I would imagine the turnover rates in LA are through the roof and the EMT's at these IFT companies are not going to be there long, but then again I'm not in LA...

I work for R/M and yes, plenty leave Care SD for R/M.

islandmedic

Forum Probie
I work for R/M and yes, plenty leave Care SD for R/M.

I think what she means is someone leaving CARE in OC for R/M would mean someone leaving CARE for Pacific. Someone leaving Care SD for for R/M 911 would be an entirely different story. I'm assuming you work R/M 911?

I think what she means is someone leaving CARE in OC for R/M would mean someone leaving CARE for Pacific. Someone leaving Care SD for for R/M 911 would be an entirely different story. I'm assuming you work R/M 911?

I work for R/M San Diego, BLS IFT/BLS 911. I'll be moving to the ALS 911 side of the company as soon as my probationary period is completed, and the next ALS bridge course is offered.

Last edited by a moderator:

energystar

Forum Crew Member
A lot of people are placed in the situation you are in now. I was about a year and a half ago. I took the IFT job and within three weeks quit it to go work for CARE. If asked about it later in an interview or such just explain you felt that it was a better opportunity to further advance your knowledge in the EMS field. Take the job offer because if something falls through with CARE an IFT job is better than no job. Good luck

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Care

I'm in the same boat... I been working for a IFT company in Los Angeles for 8 months working 60-70 hours a week.. It's good money but I can't work in this dialysis rodeo anymore. I start orientation in October for AMR Riverside but I'll be lucky if I get more than 3 shifts a month with all the new hires... I can't afford to live off of 3 shifts a month :( but I'll commit suicide anyway if I continue working in LA..

OP
OP
S

sunkissed

Forum Probie
A lot of people are placed in the situation you are in now. I was about a year and a half ago. I took the IFT job and within three weeks quit it to go work for CARE. If asked about it later in an interview or such just explain you felt that it was a better opportunity to further advance your knowledge in the EMS field. Take the job offer because if something falls through with CARE an IFT job is better than no job. Good luck

I totally agree, thank you! I was just hesitant because I didn't think it would look good to leave a company after only a few weeks. How do you like working at Care?

I'm in the same boat... I been working for a IFT company in Los Angeles for 8 months working 60-70 hours a week.. It's good money but I can't work in this dialysis rodeo anymore. I start orientation in October for AMR Riverside but I'll be lucky if I get more than 3 shifts a month with all the new hires... I can't afford to live off of 3 shifts a month :( but I'll commit suicide anyway if I continue working in LA..

What's so bad about working in LA? Is it different/worse than OC?

brian328

Forum Crew Member
like others said, take the IFT job and put your two week notice when you start working for care (just in case). care is somewhere you will probably be for a while, so that will overshadow your short stay at the IFT company.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

I know that feel. Renal round up sucks...

OP
OP
S

sunkissed

Forum Probie
like others said, take the IFT job and put your two week notice when you start working for care (just in case). care is somewhere you will probably be for a while, so that will overshadow your short stay at the IFT company.

Yep! If I get hired at Care, I'm definitely staying for at least a year & 1/2 so I'm going to take the IFT job for now

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If your current employer is a good employer, they will wish you well. Ironic, no?

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Oc

I totally agree, thank you! I was just hesitant because I didn't think it would look good to leave a company after only a few weeks. How do you like working at Care?

What's so bad about working in LA? Is it different/worse than OC?

I'm not familiar with OC.. My company does have an Orange County division but its very slow we run like 4 rigs a day out of our 40.. In Los Angeles there are a lot of private BLS services running RN,Nurse,Hospital transfers. But, for many companies the main business is dialysis... You have patients you transport weekly and most don't even need BLS transport so basically I'm a taxi driver in an ambulance...

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
i'm not familiar with oc.. My company does have an orange county division but its very slow we run like 4 rigs a day out of our 40.. In los angeles there are a lot of private bls services running rn,nurse,hospital transfers. But, for many companies the main business is dialysis... You have patients you transport weekly and most don't even need bls transport so basically i'm a taxi driver in an ambulance...

rt,rn,ift