Quit Smoking

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
In the spirit of studying/preparing myself for EMT-B certification, I am now on day 3 of my venture to quit smoking (Smoked for 10 years, I'm 25 now.). So far I've got it down well working out/drinking lots of water and a LOT of mints/jolly ranchers..

Would running in addition to these things help my lungs clear out/heal quicker? I'm hating waking up in the AM to spit up a pint of phlem.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Running helps everything! :D Except my knees... :sad:

In all seriousness, I definitely don't see it hurting. Just ease into it; don't go out and try to run 10 miles tonight.

OP
OP
B

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
While on the subject

Of healthier lungs, knees, etc. Are there any cardio work outs you guys/gals like?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Proves a point.

Anything you took up at age 15 needs reexamination, and probably given the boot, when you grow up.*

Good on you, and remember that if you fall off the wagon, you can always get back up if you do it at once.

*Little hard regarding tattoos, especially those with proper nouns on them.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
A big congratulations on kicking the habit. I would go slow on the running thing though. The whole health kicks great and I encourage you to keep it up but remember its much easier to fail at something when you set you initial sights too high. Give your lungs a little time to adjust. Maybe start with some nice long steady walks first. Giving up smoking is a huge accomplishment and you don't want to slip so jut focus on that for a while :)

Achilles

Forum Moron
B6A2D81B-1016-41A4-A7CB-871FCAF45F35-1471-0000012E6915CE81.jpg

OP
OP
B

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
Good ideas, I think I will give it another week or so before I start jogging, but I'll try to walk as much as I'm able to.

Also, that picture is holarious. My girlfriend told me I look like the younger 80's version of him.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Not to jack the thread but it has always amazed me that so many EMS providers smoke. You would think after hauling a bunch of wheezy COPDers around for a few months it would be right at the top of the need to stop doing this list. I suppose it's just testament to how difficult it is to quit.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Not to jack the thread but it has always amazed me that so many EMS providers smoke. You would think after hauling a bunch of wheezy COPDers around for a few months it would be right at the top of the need to stop doing this list. I suppose it's just testament to how difficult it is to quit.

Well look at how many of us are fat. After picking up 500lb people with no legs and taking them to dialysis 4 times a week.

Achilles

Forum Moron

Nurses and doctors smoke as well.
I've never put a cigarette in my mouth, nor have I ever done chew.
I think it is extremly disgusting, and my GF/ wife won't be doing it either.

OP
OP
B

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
At my tech school nearly every health occupation program has a large number of people who smoke. I was sort of blown away by that too, but I am in the South where apparently everyone smokes, has a baby at 16, and thinks Mountain Dew is greater than water... No offense to anyone. :p

OP
OP
B

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
Well look at how many of us are fat. After picking up 500lb people with no legs and taking them to dialysis 4 times a week.

Also I have seen a few EMT's who were huge. I am sort of a small guy 6'0 and 155 pounds. And that's after going to the gym for 6 months.. I hope to keep it that way lol.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
At my tech school nearly every health occupation program has a large number of people who smoke. I was sort of blown away by that too, but I am in the South where apparently everyone smokes, has a baby at 16, and thinks Mountain Dew is greater than water... No offense to anyone. :p

At 16?! Why do they wait so long?! :rofl:

mycrofft

mycrofft

Is that Mt Dew in the original sense?
popcorn-sutton.jpg

PS: the regional brand which became the national Mt Dew was called "Kickapoo Joy Juice", after the comic strip Lil Abner's moonshine.

The day I finished EMT school, I quit smoking. It's been over a year and a half. I'm 25 and had been smoking since I was 13. I feel it was one of my best decisions I've ever made. Absolutely cold turkey and not a single puff since. I did not want to be a hypocrite of a provider. Now I'm trying to get my dad to quit. He's got 30+ years of smoking almost 3 packs a day.

OP
OP
B

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
I feel it was one of my best decisions I've ever made.

I do too.. It's been a few days now and I feel a lot better already like more motivated and going to the gym daily slowly scaling up my miles on the bicycle and doing weights is a big motivator too.