questions from a new EMT in training

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
Hello, im currently in school to become an EMT-B hoping to move on to a Paramedic.
But i hit a snag in my training. i recently watched some one perform a foley catheter insertion into a male patient. while watching i got really light headed and had to leave the room. this has never happened to me before.

is this normal? i feel like i can overcome this. with more exposure. am i the only one who has felt this way? how often are foley caths used during Ambulance operations?

daniduck

Forum Crew Member
Hi there,
ik what you mean, i just completed my training course few months ago.
-yes it is normal for you to feel uncomfortable bout certain procedures and that you feel the need you need to walkout. That is absolutely OK. Dont feel ashamed. Thats what my instructor pointed out, that there will be things you will possibly see and feel and get uncomfortable. That is all psychological, youll get used to it the more your exposed to it.
-Out of hospital care and using the Foley catheter, is not a requirement to perform that procedure. In clinicals however, you will see that all the time. EMT-basic is not required to use a Floey Catheter, its not in your scope of practice. I did not see a Foley catheter in an ambulance when i was with them and we never used one.

I have problems with hearing bones sawed through, crushed, snap and grind...just the sound of it makes me cringe like nails on a chalk board... when i performed my first CPR, i was exteremly uncomfortable, because of hearing a popping noise and felt it, but i had to block it and keep going.. but, always always keep in mind you are the EMT assisting another life. But you CANNOT walk out on a scene, so learn to block that uneasy feeling while class, and stay focused on your patient in the real world, eventually youll get psyched out of it.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

There is a foley on almost every paramedic level IFT, and a majority of basic SNF transports. It's not in an EMT basic scope to place them, but may be for an ER tech and certainly is within a paramedic's scope. When doing ALS IFT we were expected to be able to place a foley if needed. (And often, small EDs would wait for us to show up and RSI/prep a patient for transport)

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Also, what gets you one time might not get another. I almost passed out one time I assisted with a spinal tap, but it was the third one the first two went fine and others after too.

The important thing, as some one else posted, is learning how to keep your composure. We all have that one thing that creeps us out, for me its eye injuries.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Also, what gets you one time might not get another. I almost passed out one time I assisted with a spinal tap, but it was the third one the first two went fine and others after too.

The important thing, as some one else posted, is learning how to keep your composure. We all have that one thing that creeps us out, for me its eye injuries.

First few times I did anesthesia in the eye room I was pretty freaked out. Now it's the most boring place to work.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The other day I did my first male foley in probably 2 years... and my first on my own. While I did the procedure correctly, it was a good learning experience all the same. It also reminded me why I severely dislike powdered gloves. Placing these can be quite disconcerting... at first. The good news is that, as others have stated, placing them isn't in the EMT scope of practice. While it's in my scope as a Paramedic and as an RN, I never placed one as a Paramedic. It's a skill that's good to have as a Paramedic as there are some instances where placing one is a good idea.

NomadicMedic

The other day I did my first male foley in probably 2 years... and my first on my own. While I did the procedure correctly, it was a good learning experience all the same. It also reminded me why I severely dislike powdered gloves. Placing these can be quite disconcerting... at first. The good news is that, as others have stated, placing them isn't in the EMT scope of practice. While it's in my scope as a Paramedic and as an RN, I never placed one as a Paramedic. It's a skill that's good to have as a Paramedic as there are some instances where placing one is a good idea.

Like when you're about an hour out and the doc says, "go ahead with 100mg of Lasix..."

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
I think everyone has that "one thing." I've been through upper GI bleeds coming out both ends, multiple bone fractures, illnesses of all kinds..... and that was before I was in EMT school. And now I've been through a lot more! The one thing that always gets me- drunk puke. But I hear you get used to it very quickly and strengthen that gut up. :)

OP
OP
Run with scissors

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
thank you guys, i feel a lot better now. yeah man..... that colostomy bag Defiantly gets me as well, dealt with a few people with them when i was in law enforcement.
one of my friends from class had a similar problem with starting IV's, she told me she just found a bunch of youtube videos of it. and watched them
enough to where it didn't effect her. so i may try that.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
There is a foley on almost every paramedic level IFT, and a majority of basic SNF transports. It's not in an EMT basic scope to place them, but may be for an ER tech and certainly is within a paramedic's scope. When doing ALS IFT we were expected to be able to place a foley if needed. (And often, small EDs would wait for us to show up and RSI/prep a patient for transport)
Never heard of any service that required Paramedics to place a foley. Interesting...

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I have performed 16 and 18 Fr foleys countless times, but puckered hard when I assisted a teammate with a 24 Fr. Damn son, my pinkee would be better. Are foleys actually in NREMT or state scopes for Paramedics? I knew some could because of their medical director, but I did not know it was ever taught in schooling.

I have not seen it yet, but I know an impaled eye will be tough for me. C-section as well. Just videos make me sick, I am sure the real thing will take me all the way.

One of the other EMTs in our ED is nicknamed Crash, since he fainted to the floor during a chest tube procedure I believe it was.

NomadicMedic

Never heard of any service that required Paramedics to place a foley. Interesting...

Probably not needed for services with short transport times, but for any CCT or long transport, it's valuable. It was taught in Paramedic school and I placed maybe half a dozen at my first job.