Questions about transferring license from FL to CA, and the type of available work in NorCal

esmurph

Forum Ride Along
I feel like I am hitting a wall with every direction which I turn. I am a FL EMT (NREMT-B), but since FL does not recognize AEMT, my scope of practice is currently above that of a standard EMT-B - I am able to give IVs, check blood glucose, assist in certain medications, and put in King airway devices if needed. I fully attend all BLS calls while my Medic partner drives, and he takes all the ALS. From my understanding, the only thing that an AEMT can do that I cannot, is administer medication directly via IV or SQ/IM. I've been working alongside a medic in a busy County 911 ALS service (Escambia) for the last 2 yrs (each truck runs 8-12 calls per shift) and am used to running hard and fast. I see that in most areas of California, 911 ALS services are usually FD, and those that are private (such as AMR) are difficult to get into as an EMT-B. I do have my FFI and my Wildland Fire certifications, but those won't transfer and I'm not sure I want to go through Academy at my age (39y).

Questions:
Can I get into a 911 ALS service based on my experience? Or will I be stuck doing BLS Interfacility Transfers for years on end?
What about going straight into Medic school out there? Do I need my AEMT, or can I challenge with a didactic and skills test and go in with just my EMT-B?
Are there any county 911 ALS services that do not require dual certs (fire/EMS) in Contra Costa, Placerville, or Sonoma County?

I swear I have looked, and looked, and cannot seem to find a definitive answer to these questions, so I appreciate any help that I can get.

Thank you in advance.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Getting onto an ALS 911 agency will depend entirely where you want to work. California is large and has lots of options.

CA recognizes AEMT but it's barely used.

CA will use your NREMT to issue your cert.

You can go straight to paramedic school. Prerequisites are school-by-school

OP
OP
E

esmurph

Forum Ride Along
Thank you, NPO. Good to know that about the AEMT. It threw me off to see it as a hiring option when looking at employment/education opportunities. In AL they require it as a segue to Medic. Happy to read that might not always be the case should I need to continue on towards medic in order to stay ALS.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not aware of any agency in CA that actually uses AEMTs. I remember searching (granted this was a few years ago so things may have changed) but I couldn't even find an AEMT course in the state ...
When I was in LA, they did not recognize AEMTs, just EMT and Paramedic.
Chances are you'll be strictly EMT only moving to CA...

As far as 911 ALS... California is a big state. Sure, many areas are indeed Fire only for 911 ALS. Some of those you can be an EMT doing their transports (i.e. LA County, the fire medics will hop in the back of your ambulance and you the EMT will assist them on ALS patients to the hospital), other areas may have private ambulance contracted to be dual medic for 911.... but even in fire dominated SoCal theres plenty of areas you can work as an EMT on a 911 ALS ambulance partnered with a medic (Riverside, San Bernardino, Imperial, Ventura Counties spring to mind... even San Diego, AMR would be the company in these counties), Kern Co on the border of So and Central Cal has few fire medics, Hall Ambulance IS the 911 ALS ambulance and has BLS and EMT/Medic ALS ambulances running 911 with fire there being BLS only
I dont know specifics in Nor Cal, except that the trend continues, some areas are Fire only, some are private where you as an EMT will be partnered with a Medic in a 911 rig... some of those you might have to pass a background check and some of you have a pulse and a patch you're hired.
it all depends on where specifically you're looking at.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Is your FF1 an IFSAC/Pro Board?

In CA, there are not really THAT many fire-based transport services. Getting on as an EMT with a private service will be much easier than getting on with fire. Even with advanced certs, you’re gonna be an EMT unless you bite the bullet and go to P-school.

You could get on as an ER tech... that pays pretty well. Some have phlebotomy as a requirement.

EMT Loris

Forum Probie
Can I get into a 911 ALS service based on my experience? Or will I be stuck doing BLS Interfacility Transfers for years on end?

Yes, you can definitely get into 911 with your experience assuming you get your CA EMT cert. At least in the bay area, hiring seems to be very cyclical and depends more on when you are applying than how amazing your resume is. Of course, I'm only speaking from my experience in private EMS, not fire-based EMS.
Are there any county 911 ALS services that do not require dual certs (fire/EMS) in Contra Costa, Placerville, or Sonoma County?

Most 911 ALS in the bay area is not fire, it's private. For Contra Costa that means AMR, and they staff Medic/EMT rigs. In Coco, EMTs may tech BLS calls--it just depends on your partner. I can't really speak for Sonoma or Placerville.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Alameda County 911 is transitioning to Falck in July. I believe they are accepting applications now. You will likely need a CA EMT to apply.

Last edited:

Exam Vs Bad Touch

Forum Probie
Bi County Ambulance works 911 in Yuba/Sutter counties. Which is alittle north of sac. I don’t know too much about them. But it’s worth a shot

I'm not sure if you're deadset on relocating to California or not, however much like many of the other form users here have said your options for utilizing your AEMT in California are slim to none. If you are wanting to utilize your AEMT, and be somewhat closer to California, may I suggest Community Ambulance in the Las Vegas Metropolitian area of Nevada? They are currently hiring for AEMTs.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
There aren't many systems in California that still recognize the AEMT scope of practice. The Sierra-Sacramento Valley EMS system is one of the few systems that do and is comprised of something like 10 counties in this system, most are very rural. The vast majority of EMS systems in California are single-county or at most two county systems and most of those do not recognize the AEMT or aren't certifying new AEMT personnel, and might have separate AEMT protocols, usually designated LALS (Limited ALS) if they still have those protocols.

OP: If you manage to become AEMT certified in California, you will be "recognized" in all EMS systems as an EMT without further testing required, but you'll need a local EMS system orientation, just like everyone "new" to that system. I'm a licensed Paramedic and the same applies to me... if I choose to work only in a BLS capacity and not choose to pursue Paramedic Accreditation for a given EMS system.