Question?

nez

Forum Ride Along
my question is does what school u attend affect your salary coming out of the EMT program and affect who will hire you? For example, if you were to attend UCLA's EMT program would you have a better chance of a hire and a higher salary versus someone who attends a community college or vocational school? Because I plan on hopefully becoming an EMT-P for a local Fire Dept in the future and I want to make sure that I do everything possible to better my chances on achieving my goal. Any input is appreciated...thanks a bunch

Epi-do

I see dead people
I am in Indiana, so things may be slightly different than CA, but where you go to school will most likely have no bearing whatsoever on your pay. While going to a better program may help you to get that first job, that is really about it. Your willingness to continue to educate yourself after class, your work ethic, and your reputation tend to become more important. EMS is a small world and in time you will find out that more people at least know of you than you may be aware of.

Good luck to you in medic class!

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
Ultimately it would vary by employers and/or region.

Some employers might look at the type of education you received while obtaining your certification. One might hire one with an associate degree over one that attended an accelerated program. Or offer better pay depending on degree + certificate as opposed to just certificate

Then there are areas like mine where there is such a shortage of medics that they aren't very picky.

If your ultimate goal is to get into a particular fire department, then talk to people that work there and find out what their preference is.

OP
OP
N

nez

Forum Ride Along
thanks for the input...appreciate it...by the way I like the quotes by McAlindon and Buscaglia

JPINFV

Gadfly
For the love of all that is good and holy (especially since you're comparing a UC to CCs), please don't be that guy who thinks that because he took the EMT course at UCLA that he's a UCLA alumni.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
in ma, as ive said a hundred times, a pulse and a ticket are all thats required. the school you went to has very little bearing on employment.

at the end of the day, as said as it is, your only required to prove you know x% of whats on the test not whats in the course. and since everybody takes the same test(in the same state or everybody thats nr) everybody is equally qualified in the eyes of oems

now to some degree, if you attend a more prestgious institution you may get a hair more favor. but its rare and minimal.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
my question is does what school u attend affect your salary coming out of the EMT program and affect who will hire you? For example, if you were to attend UCLA's EMT program would you have a better chance of a hire and a higher salary versus someone who attends a community college or vocational school? Because I plan on hopefully becoming an EMT-P for a local Fire Dept in the future and I want to make sure that I do everything possible to better my chances on achieving my goal. Any input is appreciated...thanks a bunch

Absolute not.

dmiracco

Forum Crew Member
I agree, it will not matter were you go to school for the certification. A cert is a cert, is a cert, is a cert.......
In fact if you look at the over all Medic shortage you will notice theses 3-6 months courses getting established so they can produce medics quicker.

John E

Forum Captain
I think you'll find...

that where you went to school will matter more as you move up the EMS educational food chain.

Some programs are rated higher than others. While you can most likely get a street level EMT job with damn near any sort of schooling, if you want to move on, particularly if you want to move into EMS education, you'll get further if you attend schools with higher standards. As a plus, you'll also get a better education for the most part.

While it's not a guarantee, there's a reason why folks who go to Harvard Law tend to end up in better law firms and working for better lawyers.

Ask yourself, would you rather be taught by someone who's own education was at a highly regarded institution or by someone who graduated in the bottom 3rd of some EMT trade school that you've never heard of?

As for the UCLA program, it has a very good reputation. Ironically, the only person I've ever heard bad mouth it, didn't attend school there. She also claimed that she wouldn't hire anyone who had, luckily and ironically, she wasn't in a position to hire anyone. She seems to have had a chip on her shoulder regarding UCLA in general for whatever reason, I'm just guessing here but I think it had to do with her not getting accepted there but I could be wrong.

John E.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
If your fire departments are anything like ours your best bet is to take a super accelerated course and spend the rest of the time you save practicing under the chiefs desk.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No, the name of the schools at this time does not matter but it will in the near future.

Alike anything else professionally, reputation has its place. Why is Harvard preferred over universities? They use the same texts, take the same boards and examinations but... the teaching and the demand that is placed upon the student is higher.

So a definite YES! The name and where one attends DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Right now due to the shortage many are taking what they can. This will change soon, when many realize the liability, the risks, the number quitting due to the inability to meet the demands and mainly poor reimbursement because of poor documentation and performance.

If one is even thinking of entering a Paramedic program. Look at the history. Not just how many and who attended but question :
Is it nationally accredited? By whom?
Is it a degree program?
Who and whom teaches the program, look and see their credentials. Experienced (>15 yrs) with a formal degree; should be the minimum.
How many hours and where they do clinicals at? The more exposure, the better educated.
What is their pass rate? What is the pass rate for license? What is the employment rate for graduates?

If you are really serious about this as a profession, then take the time to investigate the program for your future. It all depends upon how dedicated and serious one is.

R/r 911