Question regarding opting out of upcoming vaccine

UtahEmt33

Forum Ride Along
First post, and probably a bad start on this form. I am a volunteer firefighter EMT (NREMT Certified) in the state of Utah. Just got hired on as an on call Country ambulance driver. I hate to admit it given the crowd I'm speaking to, but I'm not going to be taking the up coming Covid vaccine, and I am looking for advice on what that probably means for me. Am I out? Could there be an exemption for for someone with my temperament? Additional PPE requirements? Not interested in a lecture on why I'm the scum of the earth, just your thoughts on being able to continue to volunteer and or work for the Country. Thank you for your time. All the best!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Your best best would be to have this conversation with your employers. I haven't heard of any laws requiring the vaccine.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
First post, and probably a bad start on this form. I am a volunteer firefighter EMT (NREMT Certified) in the state of Utah. Just got hired on as an on call Country ambulance driver. I hate to admit it given the crowd I'm speaking to, but I'm not going to be taking the up coming Covid vaccine, and I am looking for advice on what that probably means for me. Am I out? Could there be an exemption for for someone with my temperament? Additional PPE requirements? Not interested in a lecture on why I'm the scum of the earth, just your thoughts on being able to continue to volunteer and or work for the Country. Thank you for your time. All the best!
I am yet to see an employer say they are requiring it, not that means much. You should probably let your employer know?

It's unclear if your job could be in jeopardy, companies and organizations have been able to require vaccines as a condition of employment in the past.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
To echo what the others have said, probably not. I am also not aware of anywhere that is requiring it but rather it’s just strongly recommended.

With or without the vaccine it would still be a good idea to use full PPE for patient encounters or patients under investigation for it. Your employer may place additional requirements such as mask wearing at all times while working or even routine COVID tests but that will be completely up to them.

My employer did however make flu vaccines a mandatory requirement with some exceptions . I won’t be surprised if they make COVID another required one.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
You mentioned your temperament. How would you describe it?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Unless your employer makes it mandatory than you don't have to get it or worry about getting an exemption.

I will say that my phone reception has really improved ever since I got the vaccine.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
It's natural to have concerns about any new medication. If you bump up against rules about being vaccinated, you can be still be flexible about those rules and not overthink worst-case scenarios.

Maybe start by learning what you can about the science behind COVID, give yourself permission to be vaccinated, then proceed with what you said about volunteering or working for the country.