Question about not breathing

Jondruby

The PLS of BLS.
So I am studying to take my NREMT on Thursday hopefully, and I know they throw in some tricky questions, so can anyone set me straight, if the question is about someone who is not breathing (or breathing inadquately) because of trauma and the anwsers given are 1. Perform a jaw thrust 2. Start PPV 3. Apply Oxy with non rebreather 4. Insert an oral/nasal airway. What anwser would be right? I obviously know a non rebreather in out of the question, but the other three are legit answers, you would perform a jaw thrust first right? Then an airway and the PPV. Somebody correct me if Im wrong.

OhItzJimmy

Forum Crew Member
So I am studying to take my NREMT on Thursday hopefully, and I know they throw in some tricky questions, so can anyone set me straight, if the question is about someone who is not breathing (or breathing inadquately) because of trauma and the anwsers given are 1. Perform a jaw thrust 2. Start PPV 3. Apply Oxy with non rebreather 4. Insert an oral/nasal airway. What anwser would be right? I obviously know a non rebreather in out of the question, but the other three are legit answers, you would perform a jaw thrust first right? Then an airway and the PPV. Somebody correct me if Im wrong.
This section is for Mnemonics, go over to the NREMT section.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Moved to NREMT section

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Head positioning first (tilt and lift) and if that doesn't work then yes do a good jaw thrust, get your fingers in and do not be afraid to be a bit on the rough side, obviously we don't want to dislocate the pt mandible but a good firm jaw thrust will open the majority of airways adequately and it's really easy to do.

Oral, nasal or laryngeal mask (or equivalent) airway as you see fit. Most pt will only require an oral or nasal airway if they have good breathing and good oxygenation - i.e. not requiring manual ventilation.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
1. Perform a jaw thrust-- Correct. Head tilt would be contraindicated in most forms of trauma.

2. Start PPV--Not before the jaw thrust.

3. Apply Oxy with non rebreather-- useless, since they aren't breathing.

4. Insert an oral/nasal airway-- Try to open the airway and get some oxygen into them first before worrying about that. It sounds like this patient may not need one.