QR Code ID tags

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
So I came across QRCodeID online this week. QRCodeID allows you to create a QR Code image that can be placed on a shirt or hang from a tag, which can be scanned for more information about the person.

From their website, www.qrcodeid.org..
We provide a place where the multitude of information about a person with special needs can be kept in one place. This information can be accessed by whoever needs it at the time. A Policeman, jogger or anyone who scans them can find basic information quickly from the individual's public site. A babysitter, therapist, doctor, teacher or any trusted person can find out password protected secure detailed personal information. All of this information can be changed in real time by logging onto the site remotely or from a desktop.

You can see samples of their products here...
https://www.qrcodeid.org/shop

I've asked Erin (QRCodeID) to join our forum and come to this thread to answer any questions you might have.

As an emergency medical responder, would you use your smartphone to scan this tag if you came across a patient with one?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
A QR code is a fancy barcode/image that can launch a website/initiate an action.

They still haven't caught on with the masses, though there is tremendous potential to create a more detailed medic alert-type QR code.

Still, would you take the time to scan one?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
A QR code is a fancy barcode/image that can launch a website/initiate an action.

They still haven't caught on with the masses, though there is tremendous potential to create a more detailed medic alert-type QR code.

I could be really cool, but probably no. I have taken the time to plug in a USB medic alert tag a few times. I don't see those actually catching on with the people who most need them.

But yeah, it could be really cool.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I think it would be great in Alzheimer's Pts those with dementia or other intellectually challenged people.

Medic29

Forum Crew Member
I wrote a paper in college about RFID tags in people that could identify medical conditions. Now this was before these little bar codes. And since nearly everyone carries smart phones and can download free scanner apps, I think this is something that should be considered.

People can choose what information is available on the database.

Keep in mind though some people may not be honest.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I'm more likely to scan a QR code, which I can do with my personal phone (but the hippos!) than to plug a drive into our crippled Toughbooks. Maybe if someone in the family starts wandering I'll get one tattooed on their forehead.
Unfortunately, I don't see any info about security. If there's no second factor, like a password printed on the tag, any minimally-talented attacker (no offense, weev) should be able to access every page just by predicting the URLs or crawling them all. A much simpler and more limited version of this would be a QR code with plaintext contact or demographic info. It looks like you can encode a couple hundred characters of text in a small code.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Yeah, why not?

It'd probably be a lot quicker and more accurate than trying to elicit a history from the patient.

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie
Hi, this is Erin owner of QR Code iD. Thank you so much for sharing about this. Especially since you are the people I really want to know about it! My son Jay has mod to severe Autism with very low verbal ability. Physically he looks well very handsome. But right away from hie behaviors and language ability you will know that he is special. He has been lost a couple times. So I thought How can I communicate for him? How can I share what needs to be known about him? I have spent countless hours figuring the best ways to connect with him. So when the code is scanned by the free App or the number associated with each code is manually entered into the web site. The person's profile appears. There is contact info and then a place to enter what the responsible party wants someone to know about their loved one in an emergency. I have behavioral tips in my son's profile since I know what will best calm him and what will escalate him. We have also had interest in this for people who have Alzheimer's, Diabetes, seizures, allergies, intellectual disabilities, and mental illness. Here are a few examples of how the info can be changed in real time: "We are in the parking garage looking for him. The reception is terrible. Pls take him to security level 1 and we will be right up." "We lost Dad at 2. He needs his insulin by 5." "My EPI pen is in the front pocket of my purse." I am sure you can think of many scenarios.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Erin, thanks for responding.

Can you address the concerns listed below?

Unfortunately, I don't see any info about security. If there's no second factor, like a password printed on the tag, any minimally-talented attacker (no offense, weev) should be able to access every page just by predicting the URLs or crawling them all. A much simpler and more limited version of this would be a QR code with plaintext contact or demographic info. It looks like you can encode a couple hundred characters of text in a small code.

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
It sounds like a great idea to use, but I don't think everyone has a smartphone. But still would be quick to pull up info.

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie
Yes! If no one has a smartphone. As soon as internet is available. The unique number printed next to the code can be manually entered into the QRcodeiD.org website to view the profile.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Hi, this is Erin owner of QR Code iD. Thank you so much for sharing about this. Especially since you are the people I really want to know about it!

Thanks for dropping by, and congratulations on turning a problem into a finished product.
Given your story, it seems like your service focuses on contact and demographic info. Would this be appropriate for medical information? Would security on our end or privacy law compliance on yours be a problem?
(I was really hoping for an easter egg when I scanned your sample QR code.)

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie
Thank you so much, Meursault! Very good questions! The profile which is public info is entered by the responsible party for the person needing the code. We advice to only enter as much or as little as they are comfortable with. And to be what would be helpful for someone who finds their loved one. I am finding so far people are willing to disclose the diagnosis. And have been giving very helpful advice on the person's ability level, medical needs and behaviors.

Each membership also comes with a password protected secure site that can contain more in-depth info they want available in case of a visit to an ER. Such as medical history,doctor's numbers and medications. The contact needs to enter the password. The unique numbers have been randomized to protect privacy.

Our tech support will be available tomorrow to delve into the technical nitty gritty.

Thanks again for your questions and helpful advice. I want to have this benefit those who wander and those who find them.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
(I was really hoping for an easter egg when I scanned your sample QR code.)

Me as well. I grabbed my phone and scanned the code, but was disappointed when it just took me back to the homepage.

Erin, may I suggest that the QR code images on your site, instead of it linking back to the site itself, maybe it can link to a sample page for an individual, calling them John Doe or whomever.

Or, have an image/code on the site that says something like, "Scan here to see a sample page."

As a techie, I always look for screenshots of what I'm going to see.

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie
Oh absolutely. I am a visual learner so I totally get it. We do have one set up that way in our press release. I am new to forums and do not see how to attach an image to the post. Could you please let me know.

Our marketing shirts that we wear are set up that way. But, you are right we do not have it on the site. That is a great idea. Thank you.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Oh absolutely. I am a visual learner so I totally get it. We do have one set up that way in our press release. I am new to forums and do not see how to attach an image to the post. Could you please let me know.

Our marketing shirts that we wear are set up that way. But, you are right we do not have it on the site. That is a great idea. Thank you.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=806
or http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=2068 post #8

Also, if you want to post the images or videos on your website and link to them here, it will be allowed.

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie

Hi,

My concept with this is that

(A) someone will scan/go to the website somewhat quickly to find out who this person is, what their situation is, and who their caregiver is.

(B) If the "finder" doesn't go to the website, when the individual is taken to the next place (station, hospital, etc), or more rescuers get involved someone will get curious and end up on the website. At that time the individuals info will be discovered.

(A) Hopefully the information will be discovered right away. (B) The information will be discovered in a period of hours preventing a situation that goes on for days or is never resolved.

No special training is required for most anyone to use this system, but of course education helps.

Thanks

Bruce
QR Code iD

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie

Hi,

Members have a password to change information.

Each persons unique code is a randomly generated 8 character alphanumeric code. This seems like adequate security for a semi public page. (I do like your idea about printing a simple password on the tag if we feel like we need more security in the future)

All members are advised that this is semi-public so keep the information simple and only what you would want a rescuer to know.

Each member also has a password protected secure page if they want to put more personal information up.

The plain text version works, but we chose not to go that way because we wanted something that could change with a persons life. "We are staying in Orlando for the week at Disney Worlds Sheraton", "He has just started throwing up every time he eats too fast. Please gently remind him to eat slow with every bite". New caregiver, new phone number etc.

Thank you,

Bruce
QR Code iD

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
This is probably a stupid question, but what is required to scan these codes? Is it just an app that goes on any smartphone, with no extra hardware? Also, is the code scannable if it is on a shirt, as it appears from your products, or would one need to type the code in on your website if it was printed on fabric?

The concept is very interesting to me, I just don't quite understand. I am a bit of a kinetic learner, sorry.

-Michael