Psychomotor exam question

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
So, I have heard that once you are completed with your EMT course, you take the cognitive and psychomotor exams. Some people that I have talked to say that they took their psychomotor exam with their EMT class during their final class; but others say that they had to actually schedule a psychomotor exam and travel to complete it. Does this just depend on where you do your EMT course (such as at a FD/life squad vs. at a college or career and technical center)?

I'm just curious because I am planning to either take the class that my college offers, or take it at a career and technical center (because it's cheaper) and would like to know if I would have to go through that extra hassle of scheduling and traveling to a psychomotor exam. My course will last all Summer, then I start my senior year of nursing school, so I wouldn't have much free time to be able to travel to an exam.

Thanks in advance, and thank you for all that you do!

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
The school usually does it for the EMT level.I think you just take the written for NR at a designated facility ( I got my EMT in 2008 so things may of changed. But that's how it worked for me)

If your testing for Paramedic, It depends if an agency/school is hosting a national registry exam around the time you complete your program. If not, you will have to travel. For my medic NR I had to travel a bit (14 hr car drive).

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The psychomotor or "skills" test is given at the conclusion of the EMT class, as part of the class. The CBT or "written" is taken at a testing center, and is computer based adaptive testing.

I've not heard of an EMT program not providing the psychomotor test. Passing skills is a requirement to be cleared to take the cognitive portion.

OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
The school usually does it for the EMT level.I think you just take the written for NR at a designated facility ( I got my EMT in 2008 so things may of changed. But that's how it worked for me)

If your testing for Paramedic, It depends if an agency/school is hosting a national registry exam around the time you complete your program. If not, you will have to travel. For my medic NR I had to travel a bit (14 hr car drive).
Oh wow, 14 hours! There would be no way for that to fit into my schedule haha. I appreciate that you had the integrity to get done what you had to do. Thank you.

OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member

Oh wow, 14 hours! There would be no way for that to fit into my schedule haha. I appreciate that you had the integrity to get done what you had to do. Thank you.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh you don't have to thank me. I went to Florida then got **** canned on the beach afterwards. It was a nice break. Most of my class went to that location. The first half was very professional and studying. The last half looked like a scene out of the animal house.

OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
Oh you don't have to thank me. I went to Florida then got **** canned on the beach afterwards. It was a nice break. Most of my class went to that location. The first half was very professional and studying. The last half looked like a scene out of the animal house.
Haha, that's the way it should have been after taking an exam like that :D