Psych pts

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
psttt. what do you know? you aren't from the EMS mecca that is SoCal....

The sad truth is, this practice will continue until someone files a successful lawsuit against the ambulance agency for inappropriate and potentially unlawful restraints.

Sometimes I want to move to California to work EMS because it seems like such an advanced place to work! :p

Jon4010

Forum Ride Along
Lol, I had a psych pt transfer hosp to hosp psych unit. Younggg guy and just suddenly snapped. Pretty sad story really. Aggressive verbally and physically, but I was able to calm him down a little to get on our stretcher. Cursing at us and calling us names during transport, it's whatever. I was driving with my partner (medic) in the back, God bless her. Dude started unbuckling his straps on the stretcher and got up, trying to open the back of the ambulance (that **** was locked). This was right on the interstate too, however my exit was coming up. Upgraded emergency, told my partner to hang on in case I need to slam on the brakes. Pt finally complied and got back onto the stretcher en-route. Sad thing is the guy was the same age as me.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Upgraded emergency, told my partner to hang on in case I need to slam on the brakes.
umm why? Pull over to the side of the road, request additional resources (either additional EMS or local LEO).

If I have a combative psych in the back of the truck with me, the last thing I want is my driver speeding down the road where he might need to slam on the breaks.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
umm why? Pull over to the side of the road, request additional resources (either additional EMS or local LEO).

If I have a combative psych in the back of the truck with me, the last thing I want is my driver speeding down the road where he might need to slam on the breaks.

I'd probably want them back there with me as a second set of hands, but that's just me!