Protocols

Meaganbutterflyemt

Forum Probie
Anyone from Maryland? how did you learn to memorize and know your protocols for EMT besides reading them? If there are any suggestions to this please let me know.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
just reading the book wont help you. you need to associate it with something.

break it down into sections. trauma, cardiac emergencies, respiratory emergencies, etc. run scenarios in your head thinking about what it is you would do. in the beginning, reference your protocols to make sure you didnt step out or forget anything. as you become more familiar, you'll need the book less and less.

every time the state changes something, take that opportunity to re read the whole book.

i dont know about your state, but mine requires every service to keep a copy of the updated protocols in every truck. early for a call? downtime while field posting? whip that sucker out and read a section.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
i dont know about your state, but mine requires every service to keep a copy of the updated protocols in every truck. early for a call? downtime while field posting? whip that sucker out and read a section.

Wait, really? I dont think I have ever seen a copy of the protocols on a MA ambulance, although I agree there should be...
I was around for OEMS's annual inspection two months ago, and they didnt say anything about it us having NO copies... interesting...
In terms of learning the protocols-- in addition to KEV's advice, I recommend talking through them with someone (preferably more experienced then you). Talk through scenarios-- talk through possibilities, talk through exceptions to the rules.

Good Luck!

Dan

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
mind telling me who you work for(i promise, im not with oems and i wont tell anybody) im just curious.

all four of the services ive worked for had copies of the protocols onboard. i could have sworn it was required, but it is quite possible its a service requirment and not a state one.

EMT-P633

Forum Crew Member
Not from there, From TN actually, and we learn, relearn, oh and relearn our protocols every month, We do monthly inservices and train, practice read, test. on our protocols, not every one every month, we break it up and associate the protocols that apply to that month's training.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Anyone from Maryland? how did you learn to memorize and know your protocols for EMT besides reading them? If there are any suggestions to this please let me know.

I'm not a Maryland EMT (yet). NR and 2 other states, and I just moved here. I learned the coarse first and adapted to the protocols. There isn't too much deviated from the state's scope.

Having lived in different states has made me adapt to 3 different protocols. My most 'liberal' was Illinois. It seems here in MD we can't 'do anything' (as in there is more conservative protocols). I have GONE (not read verbatim) through each protocol book but didn't 'memorize' it. The basics are the basics are the basics. None the states differed in how to backboard someone (and for what reasons). Splinting is splinting taught by your book (now, there might be variations, but if otherwise you would be trained at a later time) hence it's protocols on splinting in the states protocol book is the same.

If that made any sense.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
The service I work for is primarily BLS with a part time medic here and there. I was bored one day, and being a medic student, I looked through the ALS protocols for my service....Basically 'If it isn't part of the ACLS Algorithms and more than IV access, ask for orders'

Seriously, our protocols requires contact with medical control for all drugs outside of a *full code scenario*. I asked about a 'simple' hypoglycemic episode and using D50 and was told "It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission."

I believe it's just antiquated protocols myself, needing some fine tuning since they are trying desperately to make the move from strictly BLS with part-time ALS to full-time ALS coverage

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
During all drills and on the way to every call, one volly is required to check the protocols on that type of call. We are required by the state to carry in our personal kits and on every responding rig, a set of protocols.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Serious question. Do the protocols for EMT-Bs really change that much depending on the disease? Taking the MA EMT-B protocol as an example (since where I worked before doesn't have a set of written protocols for EMT-Bs), the EMT-B protocols can essentially be summed up as, "assess the patient," "BSI," "call for paramedics as clinically indicated," "administer oxygen as clinically indicated," "treat for shock if BP drops below 100," and "transport as soon as possible with or without medics."

[soapbox] People who need a protocol to tell them any of the above have no need to be on or near an ambulance. [/soapbox]

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
Meaganbutterflyemt

Meaganbutterflyemt

Forum Probie
Thank you but I see that one person answered my question. Is it usual for people to not really answer the question and just ramble on? I asked how to study the protocols not how they are being used. Its ok what you posted but I was just wondering if all that is normal. Iam new to this so i dont know what to expect.

Hastings

Noobie
Thank you but I see that one person answered my question. Is it usual for people to not really answer the question and just ramble on? I asked how to study the protocols not how they are being used. Its ok what you posted but I was just wondering if all that is normal. Iam new to this so i dont know what to expect.

Anyway...no. There's not really an easier way. I mean, outside of plain experience using them. Those protocol books on average are thicker than my Paramedic textbook. I would just pick it up and read it in between calls. I don't claim to know all the protocols (and I probably never will), but I know as much as is to be expected.