Protocol V. On-Scene Judgement Calls

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant

Xina, obviously you have not taken the course in which you learn.... dun dun dun

Internet Forum Cheapshot Tactic #1: Call other people upset as much as possible, regardless if they are or not, in order to establish superiority and dominion. And to further the greater good, of course. ^_^

OOOH! NOW I get it!

Thanks! In plain English that would probably be called 'bullying" lol

Although, I do fear that I have only been on this site, for what... 3 days? and I have already caused such a stir.

Typical though, women always tend to feel competitive. I wonder if I'll get kicked off of this site because I'm like, totally new and no one would miss me if I vanished mysteriously into the dark void that is known as "real life"

JPINFV

Gadfly
You got real answers from a reliable source... You got taught how to google. The whole bring a man to fish, and teach a man to fish mumbo jumbo. JP taught you how to google/fish. I would depend on reputable pages from a google search than people online due to the sources to back it up.

Also Kaisu gave you a list... so why are you upset?

To be fair, though, I'd consider Kaisu pretty reliable. ;):beerchug:

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
The point I was trying to make by posting that huge list is that no one can answer a question like "what causes vomiting blood?" out of context. It can be any number of things, as I demonstrated.
The symptom is just a tiny piece of the patient puzzle. I am sure that as an EMT, one of the things you will learn, or have already learned, is the assessment algorithm. In the field, we don't write down SAMPLE and ask those questions in that order, but it is vital to get the elements of the assessment and know them cold. It is only in the context of a million things - many of which you pick up in the first 30 seconds of patient contact, that enable you to answer the question for that specific patient in the circumstances you find them in.

There is more to the answers given you by the experienced members of this forum than meets the eye. You have to get really good at figuring things out - especially when it's just you and the patient and there is no one else there to ask.

and don't forget, the patient doesn't read the book :rolleyes:

PS.. aw gosh JPINFV - **blush***

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
OOOH! NOW I get it!

Thanks! In plain English that would probably be called 'bullying" lol

Although, I do fear that I have only been on this site, for what... 3 days? and I have already caused such a stir.

Typical though, women always tend to feel competitive. I wonder if I'll get kicked off of this site because I'm like, totally new and no one would miss me if I vanished mysteriously into the dark void that is known as "real life"

Hmm... I'm not bullying, your continued sarcasm just seemed to say "upset" to me because the answer wasn't spelled out for you and you were actually challenged.

You've got to remember when posting on an internet forum it is open for all sorts of interpertation and you will get all sorts of opinions, some of which you care to hear and some of which may not agree with your own.

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
The point I was trying to make by posting that huge list is that no one can answer a question like "what causes vomiting blood?" out of context. It can be any number of things, as I demonstrated.
The symptom is just a tiny piece of the patient puzzle. I am sure that as an EMT, one of the things you will learn, or have already learned, is the assessment algorithm. In the field, we don't write down SAMPLE and ask those questions in that order, but it is vital to get the elements of the assessment and know them cold. It is only in the context of a million things - many of which you pick up in the first 30 seconds of patient contact, that enable you to answer the question for that specific patient in the circumstances you find them in.

There is more to the answers given you by the experienced members of this forum than meets the eye. You have to get really good at figuring things out - especially when it's just you and the patient and there is no one else there to ask.

and don't forget, the patient doesn't read the book :rolleyes:

Well, they could at least TRY! ;)

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member
I get the sense that I'm right on the verge too. Usually happens on the internet. I'm actually quite a pleasant fellow in real life, but the internet just has so many people that need telling, and I Cant. Help. Myself. Aaaaagh!

So if I disappear quietly (which is counter-characteristic, of course) then you should obviously fear the worse.

Until then, though, I'm having a good time here. I like this forum. GROUP E-HUG, anyone!?

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Hmm... I'm not bullying, your continued sarcasm just seemed to say "upset" to me because the answer wasn't spelled out for you and you were actually challenged.

You've got to remember when posting on an internet forum it is open for all sorts of interpertation and you will get all sorts of opinions, some of which you care to hear and some of which may not agree with your own.

I figured my obvious attempt to use as many smilies as possible to illustrate that I was actually joking would have sufficed.

Sasha

Forum Chief
To be fair, though, I'd consider Kaisu pretty reliable. ;):beerchug:

Me too, but she didn't explain each and every thing on the list. How am I to know why they cause hematemesis? (Provide me a let me google that for you link to each one of those, I dare you! :p)

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
I get the sense that I'm right on the verge too. Usually happens on the internet. I'm actually quite a pleasant fellow in real life, but the internet just has so many people that need telling, and I Cant. Help. Myself. Aaaaagh!

So if I disappear quietly (which is counter-characteristic, of course) then you should obviously fear the worse.

Until then, though, I'm having a good time here. I like this forum. GROUP E-HUG, anyone!?

I'm up for a bit of E-bonding!

<<<<<HUGS>>>>>

I also find this to be rather entertaining. Worrying, really isn't it?

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member
I think sarcasm is more of a technique used to try to alleviate the major serious biznezz some of ya'll got goin' on here.

Sarcasm is like the O2 of the internet. Not always a bad thing, and generally applicable everywhere, at least a little bit. :p

Miss Xina said:
I figured my obvious attempt to use as many smilies as possible to illustrate that I was actually joking would have sufficed.

No. Clearly it is a defense mechanism that indicates your tentative, ultimately failing attempt at holding back mass tears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
I think sarcasm is more of a technique used to try to alleviate the major serious bidness some of ya'll got goin' on here.

Sarcasm is like the O2 of the internet. Not always a bad thing, and generally applicable everywhere. :p

I find it makes life generally more tolerable.

But that's just me. Maybe I am like, totally completely upset and I've used sarcasm so much growing up that I never know when I am just being sarcy and when I'm really upset.

I think she's opened up pandora's box...NOOO!!!:unsure:

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
I think sarcasm is more of a technique used to try to alleviate the major serious bidness some of ya'll got goin' on here.

Sarcasm is like the O2 of the internet. Not always a bad thing, and generally applicable everywhere. :p

No. Clearly it is a defense mechanism that indicates your tentative, ultimately failing attempt at holding back mass tears.

Wouldn't it be funny if I had dry eyes and had to use eye drops to create such tears? LOL that tickles me!

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh dear - I have to disagree with you here. Sarcasm is almost invariable an expression of repressed anger and/or hostility. I kid you not - psych 101

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Oh dear - I have to disagree with you here. Sarcasm is almost invariable an expression of repressed anger and/or hostility. I kid you not - psych 101

wow, so you must really have sexual fantasies about your mother and your sister has penis envy?

Couldn't it just be that I am british and we use dry, sarcastic humour for EVERYTHING??

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member
I called it. I knew you were just blinking it all back, trying to swallow it all down.

This is why forums are dangerous places. It's a dog eat dog world, this new era of internet anonymity.

And as we can see, some people can't handle it!

Namely... me. :wacko:

Exit Stage, weeping uncontrollably.

JPINFV

Gadfly

I'm a big ball of repressed anger and hostility then...

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
I called it. I knew you were just blinking it all back, trying to swallow it all down.

This is why forums are dangerous places. It's a dog eat dog world, this new era of internet anonymity.

And as we can see, some people can't handle it!

Namely... me. :wacko:

Exit Stage, weeping uncontrollably.

NOO!!! Don't leave me alone here.. it's a dark, lonely place.. and you're my only beacon of light!