Protocol V. On-Scene Judgement Calls

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member
JPINFV said:
There are ways to get the information you seek online.

And heaven forbid anyone ask here before exhausting all other avenues. This forum is ONLY to be used as a last resort for learning. Duh, Xina, just duh. :p ^_^ :rolleyes:

mycrofft said:
EVERYONE takes rants to heart*, the the caveat "Only get excited about this if it applies to you" is a sloppy excuse for not emailing or naming folks you have a bone to pick with.

Unless they are like me and don't really care a lot of the time.

Not sure if you are talking to me Mycrofft, but I definitely fit into the footnote category: I just dun' care! Haha :blush: And if ya were speaking to me, then I will just say that it would be good for everyone to take my "rant" (though I would be very reluctant to call it that. More just like a friendly reminder) to heart even if the shoe doesn't fit, so everyone makes sure they !Stay Polite!

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
PS.. when looking for causes of things, google "differential diagnosis" . That is what will tell you the possible causes of the symptom you are interested in.

Thanks. And yep, we definitely didn't cover that. :) Just, possible overdose, activated charcoal.

I asked my teacher why it was called "activated charcoal" and if there was such a thing as "deactivated charcoal"

He said he'd never thought about it and I had to find out for myself.

Now I know what to google. This is all that I wanted!!!

I just wonder if that would be the normal response to a NEWBIE asking questions.

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Well, an EMT cannot preform an effective differential diagnosis if they are only using what they learn in EMT class. They would need a much greater foundation in normal physiology and altered physiology than is taught to them intially, which really is an argument for continuing to learn all you can or curthering your medical education.

And that is why I am just doing ride time. Not actually working yet. I am well aware that my class didn't prepare me to be on my todd with another basic.

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
And heaven forbid anyone ask here before exhausting all other avenues. This forum is ONLY to be used as a last resort for learning. Duh, Xina, just duh. :p ^_^ :rolleyes:

Not sure if you are talking to me Mycrofft, but I definitely fit into the footnote category: I just dun' care! Haha :blush: And if ya were speaking to me, then I will just say that it would be good for everyone to take my "rant" (though I would be very reluctant to call it that. More just like a friendly reminder) to heart even if the shoe doesn't fit, so everyone makes sure they !Stay Polite!

I didn't know I had the power to cause such a fuss! ^_^

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member
P.S., I would like to make a formal, polite apology to everyone who read my previous post on page 8. I realize now that telling anyone to lay off of anything is a heinous crime worthy of great chastisement, which I appropriately received in due course, and I would like to completely blot out that remark and quite possibly the very post itself not only from this forum but from the history of humanity itself. If you were one of the unfortunate souls who had to read that grossly indecent comment of mine, I humbly ask your forgiveness of my abominable transgression and would also plead for your gracious mercy.

Yours truly,

Thoroughly Convicted. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I just wonder if that would be the normal response to a NEWBIE asking questions.

There's a certain bit of research that you should be able to do on your own. For example, I wouldn't ask on here "which muscle is split by the gastric muscle (stylohyoid muscle)" on here because I could very easily look it up online and through my other resources. This would be different than, say, asking for reviews of companies and schools or running through scenarios or calls. You can Google "causes of blood in vomit" while you can't Google "How would you run a call with blood in vomit."

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
P.S., I would like to make a formal, polite apology to everyone who read my previous post on page 8. I realize now that telling anyone to lay off of anything is a heinous crime worthy of great chastisement and I would like to completely blot out that remark and that comment not only from this forum but from the history of humanity itself. If you were one of the unfortunate souls who had to read that grossly indecent comment of mine, I humbly ask your forgiveness of my abominable iniquity and would also plead for your gracious mercy.

Yours truly,

Thoroughly Convicted. :(

LOL. I wonder if you'll get a lashing like me.

One question and you'd think it was the spanish inquisition! ;)

I forgive you :p

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
There's a certain bit of research that you should be able to do on your own. For example, I wouldn't ask on here "which muscle is split by the gastric muscle (stylohyoid muscle)" on here because I could very easily look it up online and through my other resources. This would be different than, say, asking for reviews of companies and schools or running through scenarios or calls. You can Google "causes of blood in vomit" while you can't Google "How would you run a call with blood in vomit."

Well, now I know not to ask :) Maybe I was hoping for a real answer from reliable resources who could somewhat give me a little insight.

I have learned my lesson *nods solemnly* :p

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member
Xina, your forgiving kindness precedes you! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If it were me, I would have naturally assumed that Xina or whoever asked wanted some insight into the thread as well.

I mean, if the guy is DRUNK and has bloody vomit, that would prolly narrow the "differential diagnosis" thing down from that huge extensive list that Kaisu posted.

And I dunno about other people, but I would have taken the given information and then attempted to expound of the scenario, if I knew enough about the topic in the first place-- instead of just saying, "Google it, newb."

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Xina, your forgiving kindness precedes you! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If it were me, I would have naturally assumed that Xina or whoever asked wanted some insight into the thread as well.

I mean, if the guy is DRUNK and has bloody vomit, that would prolly narrow the "differential diagnosis" thing down from that huge extensive list that Kaisu posted.

And I dunno about other people, but I would have taken the given information and then attempted to expound of the scenario, if I knew enough about the topic in the first place-- instead of just saying, "Google it, newb."

That reminds me of one of many of Dr Cox's rants LOL "newb"

Well, at least I got some information. I can google each and every one of those and have a good study-fest in the comfort of my own home ^_^

JPINFV

Gadfly

To be fair, I Googled it for you. ;)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well, now I know not to ask :) Maybe I was hoping for a real answer from reliable resources who could somewhat give me a little insight.

I have learned my lesson *nods solemnly* :p

You got real answers from a reliable source... You got taught how to google. The whole bring a man to fish, and teach a man to fish mumbo jumbo. JP taught you how to google/fish. I would depend on reputable pages from a google search than people online due to the sources to back it up.

Also Kaisu gave you a list... so why are you upset?

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
You got real answers from a reliable source... You got taught how to google. The whole bring a man to fish, and teach a man to fish mumbo jumbo. JP taught you how to google/fish. I would depend on reputable pages from a google search than people online due to the sources to back it up.

Also Kaisu gave you a list... so why are you upset?

I'm not, Jeez. Did you see a frowny smiley there? You obviously don't get british humour.

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member
Not that I would be able to see the tears streaming down and flowing all around or anything even if they existed, but I don't think anyone was upset.

oh crap, who am I trying to fool...... *sobs quietly in the corner*

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Not that I would be able to see the tears streaming down and flowing all around or anything even if they existed, but I don't think anyone was upset.

oh crap, who am I trying to fool...... *sobs quietly in the corner*

Man, you're lame. I only had one single, lonesome tear roll down my cheek. and I really had to squeeze that one out ! LOL

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member

Xina, obviously you have not taken the course in which you learn.... dun dun dun

Internet Forum Cheapshot Tactic #1: Call other people upset as much as possible, regardless if they are or not, in order to establish superiority and dominion. And to further the greater good, of course. ^_^

It should be in your handbook though.

Sorry BTW, I just weep easy. I'm a sympathetic crier, but I also do a darn fine job of initiating the flood too.

Last edited by a moderator: