Process to become a EMT questions

Citrus

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I have recently turned 16 and have been wondering about what I should do for the rest of my working life. I have always had a thing for the Emergency Response careers (Law enforcement, firefighting, and EMT). However, because of the slim career opportunities nearby in firefighting and a few crimes (nothing disqualifying LEO-wise) but would make it difficult for myself to become a police officer versus multiple people who haven't done a thing bad, I have decided that those two aren't for me.

Since I do good especially in Science classes (I'm still in High School) and I love helping people, I believe that EMT might be the right career for me.

I'd like to ask a few questions to start off:

1) EMT is a PAID job, right?

2) If so, is the pay decent? (Is it the same amount as a Police officer/Firefighter?)

3) Can you explain to me the Levels of EMT?

4) Where can I most likely be able to take the "EMT-B" classes at?

5) Is it hard or easy to become employed?

6) What volunteer work could you do that would help you get employed soon?

7) When employed, are you put under a "Probationary" phase, such as Law enforcement? If so, what is it like?

Thanks in advance, I also appreciate what you guys do, and I hopefully will be able to call myself a EMT some day!

Last edited by a moderator:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi,

I have recently turned 16 and have been wondering about what I should do for the rest of my working life. I have always had a thing for the Emergency Response careers (Law enforcement, firefighting, and EMT). However, because of the slim career opportunities nearby in firefighting and because I have committed a few crimes (nothing disqualifying LEO-wise) but would make it difficult for myself to become a police officer versus multiple people who haven't done a thing bad, I have decided that those two aren't for me.

Since I do good especially in Science classes (I'm still in High School OFC) I believe that EMT might be the right career for me.

I'd like to ask a few questions to start off:

1) EMT is a PAID job, right?
Not if you offer your services for free, and in many parts of the country, EMTs offer their services for free. Depending on where you live, there could be any number of EMS systems including private ambulance 911, Fire dept. EMS, and in some systems the private companies just do transfers.
2) If so, is the pay decent? (Is it the same amount as a Police officer/Firefighter?)
No. In most parts of the country you will make close to min. wage as an EMT-B if you can even find a paid job

3) Can you explain to me the Levels of EMT?
There is the EMT or EMT-B, also called the EMT-1 (one). This level provides basic life support and transportation of patients. You will take vital signs, provide CPR and use an AED, bandage and splint injuries. Than there is the EMT-Intermediate, which provides some advanced care, but this level is being phased out in many parts of the country. The highest level of prehospital provider and the only one educated in A&P and pathophysiology is the Paramedic. A paramedic provides physical exam, field impression of the patient's condition, and can treat the patient with medications and electrical therapy.

4) Where can I most likely be able to take the "EMT-B" classes at?
Community Colleges, Volunteer fire departments, private schools. Google is a friend.

5) Is it hard or easy to become employed?
In some large urban areas you can easily get a job on an non emergency rig, and your job will be to bring patients back home from the hospital. Do not expect to get a job on a 911 unit easily as an EMT-B.

6) What volunteer work could you do that would help you get employed soon?
None.

OP
OP
C

Citrus

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the quick response!

I have a few more questions:

7) How are hours? (I heard you work for 24 straight hours, do you have a few days off after that?)

8) Is it worth getting a EMT-I certification before seeking employment? Will it increase chances of being hired against other people?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Its really difficult for us to provide advice for you because we do not know where you live, and in EMS, things differ radically over geographic regions. If you can get the EMT-I cert in the state you live in, go for it first.

medic417

The Truth Provider
If your serious about EMS as a career get your Paramedic degree. It is the only way you will find decent pay and more importantly you actually will do some good for patients.

Also search this site your questions have been asked here many many times.

OP
OP
C

Citrus

Forum Ride Along
Oh, I apologize for not searching.

I live in North Carolina and want to stay in the area due to my friends and family.

MRE

Forum Captain
7) How are hours? (I heard you work for 24 straight hours, do you have a few days off after that?)

Depending on the service, you may have 24 hour shifts, or even longer ones. You would run calls as they come in and try to catch as much sleep as possible in between. Depending on how busy it is, you may get a lot or almost no sleep during a shift.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Oh, I apologize for not searching.

I live in North Carolina and want to stay in the area due to my friends and family.

Go to the Wake County EMS website, they are one of the best services in the country and the forfront of what EMS is becomming. Contact them, they will be able to provide you with all the details you need for your area.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

catskills

Forum Crew Member
I hear that the difference between a large pizza and an EMT-B, is that a large pizza can feed a family of four.