"Probably too much"

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
So, as I've been alluding to... I was recently certified as an "Agent" by the State of PA under the Lethal Weapons Training Act (I can now carry a lethal weapon in preformance of my NON-EMS job - Security). My employer is training me to be a backup to our "Advanced Security Officers" I've gone through MOAB and "Self Protection Measures" training.

Today I had OC (pepper spary) and Handcuff training...

So, what is the key part of OC training? Yep - Getting sprayed. Not only do you get sprayed, but you have to do punching drills and handcuff someone. Yeah. It SUCKS!

**Note - the OC training was VERY valuable - I know how OC will effect me, and I also know quite a bit about decontamination and general response to an OC spraying**

Anyway... I got sprayed this afternoon. After getting decontaminated and then showering, I then went to the squad for the night. I said, after getting sprayed, "now I actually feel a little sympathy for the drunk idiots we see at the squad who got sprayed... that isn't pleasant."

Me and my big mouth. We KNOW what has to happen after saying this, right folks?

While at the squad, I got called for the 2am "stupid drunk guy" who got in a fight in his apartment, punched out a large glass window and got some deep lacerations to his hand. Once the PD showed up, he must have resisted, because he got sprayed with OC. Oh, and he was on the 3rd floor.

We arrived and PD had nicely carried the guy down from the 3rd foor to the lobby... he's "unhappy" with the PD, and seems to think spitting at a cop would be a good idea... Yeah... about that. It is always fun to try to treat someone in handcuffs... espicially when his HAND is what is hurt.

I talked with him, calmed him down a little, let him know that I was NOT the PD, then "we" (me and 3 LEO's) got him up, out the door, and onto the strecher... The handcuffs get brought around to the front and he gets strapped down.

2 of the cops went off to the NEXT fight, and we transported with pt. in cuffs with PD following us. (Normally I'm dead-set against it, but I was tired and in no mood to argue. In addition, the PD would have just set the pt. off worse and I ddn't want to get sprayed AGAIN today, and I didn't want the subject in my rig NOT in cuffs... so I made an exception to my rule :unsure: ).

Anyway... during the ride, the guy can't seem to decide if I'm a good guy or a bad guy, and he's too busy cursing about the :censored: :censored: cops... Then he started As soon as I told him that I'd gotten sprayed less than 12 hours ago and knew EXACTLY how he felt... I then explained that rinsing it out at the hosptial might help a little, but, for the most part, he just has bear the pain and deal with it... it will go away on its own over the next 45 minutes or so... well, he calmed down a little more and actually answered my questions on Meds, PMH, and allergies. His answer, when I asked how much he had to drink: "Probably too much."

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Aw crap, there goes the CLs' plan to rough Jon up at the EMTLife-a-ganza 2007.

He's packing heat, we'll need Kip and his Texas Walker Ranger-like moves now.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Jon, do you do any flushing there on scene?

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Chimpie said:
Jon, do you do any flushing there on scene?

Hey, not to ask a dumb question, but since I've never been on-scene for someone who's been sprayed....don't they usually do some flushing on scene? Makes sense if time allows?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've heard of some awesome face wipes that work wonders for OC spray to the face and body.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Jon,
I can empathize with you on the spraying!! After I graduated from the police academy and returned back to my department, they sprayed us also to see how we would react to the experience. The SGT. would spray you in the face, you would have to signal after the effects began and then a member of the SWAT team would attack you and try to take your red gun away. They filmed the whole event for court purposes. It was a very interesting experience and I would NEVER want to go through that again.

As far as helping a patient, if I have time,then I irrigate with the bag of saline and nasal cannula trick. If there isn't time, I soak a bunch of 4x4s with cool saline - the coolness helps a little with comfort.

Oh....and Jon, you do know that for the next few days you will continue to experience the burning everytime you take a shower or wash your face......!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
MMiz said:
I've heard of some awesome face wipes that work wonders for OC spray to the face and body.

From who? The manufacturers?

The problem with wipes is that they rub the OC oil into the skin. You're best bet is to flush with copious amounts of water or saline.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
We've had a couple that had been sprayed...

No flushing on scene....

Actually, come to think of it we didn't even transport. The only complaint was the SO had sprayed them, so my medic talked to SO and we called it a law enforcement matter, SO transported to the ER and we went on to save another life B)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I'd hate to be the cop that has to transport a suspect that hasn't been washed down. That's not the kind of contact buzz I would want.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
No... I didn't flush the eyes on scene... I was more concerned with getting the bleeding controlled and getting the patient to the hospital.

In hindsight, I like the wet 4x4 idea... I REALLY need to use that next time.

As for the burning when showering - I've not bathed since yesterday afternoon (30 hours or so... I had to work today and didn't wake up in time to shower..) So i'll find out in an hour or so - thanks for the warning!