Pride,whats it to you.

FFMedic1911

Forum Crew Member
Was wondering what everyone's idea of pride is for the job that we do.The reason am asking is because of things here at the FD.We have guys on the job that there idea of pride is keeping the trucks and stations clean.Almost to the point of being compulsive.My idea is being knowledgeable and current with Fire suppression tactics and Same goes with the ALS side of it.There in lies the problem.The same guys that are compulsive about being merry maids could care less.They walk in to a job carring nothing but a frown.When you raise a question about it they start with some bs about pride means keeping the trucks and station clean.So after rambling and venting alittle what is your idea of pride for the job.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Earning the respect and trust of the community... that includes the medical, public service, and general public areas. Yes, that does entail being presentable, professional, and clean. It also obviously entails providing a high standard of care and service. It's a fine balance.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Taking pride in a job/career means doing every thing the best you can, regardless of the value or enjoyment of the action. This includes both the things that FFMedic highlighted (operational) as well as the responsibilities that his coworkers are talking about (basic maintenance, cleanliness, etc).

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Pride for me is being able to look at myself in the mirror and KNOWING I did the right thing. That someone is breathing today because of what I did.

The indirect manifestations are even cool. Everybody knows them: the thanks you get from the pt or the family member. But that's not the only one.

There's also the look of relief on the faces from your coworkers and even your superiors when you show up for work.

My humble 0.02

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Deserve respect and dont demand it... be professional towards yourself, your crews and the system and they/it will be professional towards you.

That's my pride, to be professional in everything I do...

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
Taking pride in your profession for the fire/EMS field I think is taking care of your equipment and rigs and also it has to do with professionalism, if I or my company can earn the respect of the community then that helps my pride in my company.

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
taking care in everything you do so that it's done excellently to the best of your ability at the time.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
To me "Pride" means being able to walk away from the scene knowing I did well. I don't need any external praise, recognition or respect. (As a matter of fact, I'm generally made pretty uncomfortable by the gushy thank yous some family members like to heap on our heads)

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Hmm...for me it is the feeling of respect that you have for yourself, the manner in which you conduct your daily duties, while at work and in unifrom. It would not only be a case of what you do, but how you do it. Respect is earned, and not forced upon. One should respect the/a qulification or rank, but you don't always have to respect the person bearing it, if he/she does not deserve it.

With regards to your situation then, the other find their pride in maticulesly cleaning there vehicles where as you find it staying on top of the latest knowledge. Different strokes for different folkes. Their is value to both sides of the coin (by keeping equipment clean and ready,AND by staying on par with the latest knowledge). Not saying that you aren't, but the question is, can either of your swallow your pride and find common ground??