Preparing for critical care paramedic training. Tips?

OP
OP
R

RoadRat

Forum Probie
It was great having a class full of providers who were passionate about their career and not have any of the ones who are only a medic so they can be a firefighter.

Amen to that. I was around Memphis Fire the most. Those guys hate EMS. For every one passionate provider, there were 15 forced medics who hated every aspect of medicine.

Maybe I'll take the course for fun. I need the know people who challenge themselves rather than stagnate in their own salt.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@RoadRat what is your short-term (CCP) goal, as well as long-term goals? Are you just wanting to expand your knowledge-base?

In short, you can still take the course that you've signed up for, get your FP-C/ CCP-C, land a job as a critical care provider then take a course like, say, Creighton's program; there are a couple of others out there, IIRC. This was exactly the route I chose, and it's worked out ok so far.

If you continue on with it, I suggest you get to studying the material ASAP that way you begin to grasp some of the critical care topics that will be new, and uncharted territory for you; no tricks, just dive in nose first. YouTube University is your friend.

With all that said, and without being too much of a cynic, there is only so much to be learned even as a critical care provider before things become redundant. The plus side though is that generally this part of the field is chocked full of those who want to learn more, and typically embrace higher education for EMS, specifically, paramedic providers.

Also, this thread:

https://emtlife.com/threads/fp-c-without-a-class.44523/

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RoadRat

Forum Probie
@RoadRat what is your short-term (CCP) goal, as well as long-term goals? Are you just wanting to expand your knowledge-base?

In short, you can still take the course that you've signed up for, get your FP-C/ CCP-C, land a job as a critical care provider then take a course like, say, Creighton's program; there are a couple of others out there, IIRC. This was exactly the route I chose, and it's worked out ok so far.

My short-term goals include acquiring my critical care, adding on wilderness certs (I realize there are many assorted to choose from,) then to begin volunteering at a travel company which serves austere environments. During this time which I volunteer, I plan to continue as a 911 medic to build my resume. (No one wants medics without at least 3 years 911 experience.)

Within my plans, the critical care cert only serves to increase my hourly wage and to gain a better knowledge base to improve the care I'll provide in the future.

Long term, I intend to return to school to gain my RN (strictly for retirement purposes.) Then, I want to be employed at a travel company and provide medical care for impoverished countries. If I can be paid as a RN in this situation, great. If not, I will happily work as a paramedic.

I didn't realize the prep courses actually prepare newbies to pass the exam. That was my initial understanding, but after the discussion we've all had on this forum I then thought it was strictly for those who were already formally educated.

It's nice to hear someone took the test and passed before the formal 5-month education. That gives me hope.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It's nice to hear someone took the test and passed before the formal 5-month education. That gives me hope.
A lot of people do. Take a look at that thread I posted if you haven't already. A lot people also take the exams with no prep courses whatsoever. It's part of the argument regarding the legitimacy of each of these "advanced certification" exams.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I can tell you from experience that the review books will teach you to pass the test. I have to find supplemental material to further explain a majority of it.

Balloon pumps cannot be thoroughly explained in a couple pages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Sure.

Flight Paramedic Certification A Comprehensive Study Guide by Kyle Faudree (this was the main book my review course used). Back to Basics by Orchard Lee Lopez. Critical Care Transport by AAOS. FP-C & CFRN by FlightBridgeED. I’m also thinking about getting Patient Transport Principles and Practice but can’t justify the cost as of right now.
Any you recommend as a first purchase? Don't really have the cash to buy more than one or maybe two books right now.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Any you recommend as a first purchase? Don't really have the cash to buy more than one or maybe two books right now.
Personally I would go with Flight Paramedic Certification A Comprehensive Study Guide by Kyle Faudree. It is a Study Guide and will introduce you to some of the FP-C/CCP-C topics. From their you can use YouTube videos and other internet sites to help get more information.

The book by FlightBridgeED has a lot of good information however due to how the book is laid out it was very hard for me to understand.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Personally I would go with Flight Paramedic Certification A Comprehensive Study Guide by Kyle Faudree. It is a Study Guide and will introduce you to some of the FP-C/CCP-C topics. From their you can use YouTube videos and other internet sites to help get more information.

The book by FlightBridgeED has a lot of good information however due to how the book is laid out it was very hard for me to understand.
That's actually a really good price, I may throw a second one in then with Faudree's book.

What was confusing about the layout? I really like their podcasts, so I have been planning on buying one of their books for a little while now.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That's actually a really good price, I may throw a second one in then with Faudree's book.

What was confusing about the layout? I really like their podcasts, so I have been planning on buying one of their books for a little while now.
It has a layout like:
9) General topic
a) specific medication
i) general information
ii) more general information
iii) more general information
(1) dose
(2) routes
(3) onset
(4) Duration
(5) Indications
(6) Contraindications
b) another medication
i) general information
(1) dose
(2) routes
(3) onset
(4) Duration
(5) Indications
(6) Contraindications

It is laid out like this for every single topic throughout the entire book, from talking about cellular respiration to flight patho to trauma. There is very good information that is in the book but for me it is just very hard on the eyes to follow it.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
It has a layout like:
9) General topic
a) specific medication
i) general information
(1) dose
(2) routes
(3) onset
(4) Duration
(5) Indications
(6) Contraindications
b) another medication
i) general information
(1) dose
(2) routes
(3) onset
(4) Duration
(5) Indications
(6) Contraindications

It is laid out like this for every single topic throughout the entire book, from talking about cellular respiration to flight patho to trauma. There is very good information that is in the book but for me it is just very hard on the eyes to follow it.
Hmm, alright thanks for the explanation. Maybe I will just stick to their vent book instead.