Prehospital OB/GYN

mikie

Forum Lurker
Can paramedics or any prehospital advanced practitioner perform a Caesarean section 'in the field?'

What more advanced procedures in OB/GYN can I/M/CC/+ perform?

Thanks!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That is a state dependent answer. Some states say no, while others may permit it under direct order of a physician. The debate entangles not being properly educated to perform it, and the other is some use the "medical practice act" to perform under direct orders of a physician.

Don't know what a I/M/CC is?

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
2 medics in Jersey City got their New Jersey cards revolked after medical control intructed them to perform a C-Section on a dead mother but live child. They saved the child.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have never in the field, but have assisted (helped retract & remove baby) in the Trauma Center setting. One only have 8 minutes from start to finish to do one. All were r/t trauma to mother beyond life capabilities. Both were successful, but one does not usually find physicians that will make that sacrifice and decision.

I was questioned on why I did not perform one on a MCI incident, but personally did not even consider due to the event & extent of injuries. I do not foresee me ever going towards that decision.

R/r 911

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Can paramedics or any prehospital advanced practitioner perform a Caesarean section 'in the field?'

What more advanced procedures in OB/GYN can I/M/CC/+ perform?

Thanks!

Watch the 3rd to the last episode of "saved". :p

The show isn't on anymore but hey did it.

OP
OP
mikie

mikie

Forum Lurker
Watch the 3rd to the last episode of "saved". :p

The show isn't on anymore but hey did it.

Yup, I remember that. Partially what sparked the question, seeing stuff like that prompted my question (not just Saved though).

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Not this side!! The main surgical procedures we roadside is a chest drain, and then the thoracotomy every so often for the very brave (or perhaps stupid??)...

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
oops, did you just say thoracotomy on the roadside??
In the field?? For cardiac arrest you do open chest massage?
:eek:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
"Man held after woman killed, baby delivered by c-section"

I immediately thought of this post when I saw this story in the news. It says that EMTs delivered the baby by c-section.

It's kind of nuts to imagine this procedure being performed in the prehospital setting. I can't imagine too many circumstances that would justify it.

OP
OP
mikie

mikie

Forum Lurker
It's kind of nuts to imagine this procedure being performed in the prehospital setting. I can't imagine too many circumstances that would justify it.

Agreed.

What about the risks to the mother/baby? When in the field (littererly, not in the back of the ambulance). Everything not being sterile, risk of infection...complications (ie - something in her hx that we don't know about).

rmellish

Forum Captain
Well, hopefully no risk of infection to the mother...if anyone's even considering a prehospital c-section, I'd hope she's too far gone to worry about sepsis.

Prehospital c-sections are perfect for overly dramatic TV shows though...