Prehospital nurses

Status
Not open for further replies.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
In our state, an RN doesn't license you to work in pre-hospital setting and you must have an additional cert as EMT or EMT-P. We have had situations where an RN on scene has attempted to dictate pt care to EMS personnel and in each case, EMS has been determined to be in control of the pt care until they swing through those ER doors. One instance was a nursing home RN who tried to cancel a code and quit CPR on a pt who still had a rhthym and full code status upon arrival of EMS.

Another issue is that nasty headache of liability. If a nurse, who is licensed by the state and works in the local ER, rides in the back of another agency's rig on a call, and screws up, who is liable? The agency he/she is riding with or the agency where he/she works? This was the issue that stopped our attempt to get some ER nurses to do ride alongs.

That's an interesting scenario I've never really thought about. On a 911 response we have had several times that there are RN's on scene as bystanders (actually had another areas medical director once) where even as a first responder I was deemed in charge of patient care until the medics came, then they were in charge the Nurses and even the doc had absolutely no say.

Also the company that I'm doing my ride-alongs with has done several long distance transfers (few hours one way) where both medics stay in the front of the rig and the hospital sends a team usually an RN or two and possibly an RRT depending on the patients condition. At that point the RN's are in charge of patient care (obviously since both medics are in the front). I'm sure if I was a little more versed in law I would be able to point out the reasoning but for now I'll just accept it.

For anyone else that does transfers with a nurse riding along as the primary patient care provider what happens if the patient codes, does it then become an emergency where you're in charge or is the nurse still in charge?

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Only one state in the U.S. requires Paramedics to have a mere 2 year degree.

Purely out of laziness to operate google which state requires a 2 year degree? I'd like to do some research on that. Ever since R/r's hate thread got me fired up I've wanted to assemble some jaw dropping facts to send to my senators, State EMS board, the whole works to see if WI can't at least get to that point.

medicsRULE

Forum Ride Along
Lies.

If it's possible to go from zero to paramedic in three months, as you said, then it is not legitimate... and I would like you to name the school specifically or clam up... please don't point me to an online institution that's accredited in Nigeria.

The very suggestion in this open forum is an insult to all paramedics, including yourself. I've never heard of such a thing.

While I am ALL FOR more states REQUIRING a mimimum 2 year degree accreditation for all paramedics, what is REQUIRED and what is DONE IN PRACTICE are two disparate issues. Most paramedics have put in their time.

It took me three long years of intense training to become a paramedic, including 52 college credits worth of classroom time -- eight hours a day for a period of nine straight months with no vacations or breaks (a full time academic program). This was the FDNY (formerly NYC-EMS) paramedic program.

At the time, I qualified for a class that had 400+ applicants with less than 25 available slots -- an admission ratio more formidable than most medical schools. This program, with a few extra credits from a local university, translates into an Associates degree -- ie, the same credentials as an ASN, and that is NOT INCLUDING THE PREREQUISITE YEARS OF EMT FIELD EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.

THREE MONTHS!? HA!! Check this man's narcotic bag!

I consider myself and my colleagues to be the academically the peers of nurses -- superior to them when it comes to autonomy in out-of-hospital critical care, and rightfully humbled by them in their ability to deliver a wide array of therapies in coordinating with physicians. There is always mutual respect. We are a life-saving team.

Most nurses I have met, unfortunately, think they are superior in every way to paramedics. They outnumber us and, it is true, they "out credential" us, regardless of their abilities, clinical skills, and talents.

But your argument is grossly biased against medics; it is glib and outright ludicrous. Respect the profession or rip off your medic patch. It's malicious mouthpieces like you that have eroded EMS expectations and reduced paramedics, in the eyes of some, to boy scouts trained in first aid.

Get a clue, please.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
two things:

one, it was nice having you for such a short time medicsrule, but i forsee a ticket on the banned bus for you if you dont drop the attitude and holier than thou approach to posting.

two, did that old thread/anti bumping feature actually get installed or was that a joke?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Closed for a 24 hour cool off period.

Status
Not open for further replies.