Prehospital command hierarchy, fitting it in with the regular medical community

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
To be fair, there's a difference between the docs who regularly engage in prehospital emergency care, and those who don't.

Haha exactly. When was the last time a regular doc started a 20 gauge IV, bagged, and intubated on a little baby whos mom is screaming in your face? But because they are a Doc they can do anything right? gimme a break.....

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Haha exactly. When was the last time a regular doc started a 20 gauge IV, bagged, and intubated on a little baby whos mom is screaming in your face? But because they are a Doc they can do anything right? gimme a break.....

Just because someone's a medic makes them somehow suited to this?

Someone's been listening to their medic school instructors too much, your more arrogant and conceited than I am...and that's an achievement.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Haha. Yeah since they know where everything on the ambulance is......but hey its your life

Doesn't really matter if you don't know where stuff is in the truck if someone who does is riding in the back with you...

My question is why didn't the doc let the medic try and get the tube, and if they really couldn't get it why didn't this guy get a crike?

I sure hope the medic documented the living :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: outta the call, it's his truck and his responsibility.

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."- James Thurber

Its probably also better to know where the equipment youll need is to perform a life saving intervention before the patient is dead.....just saying.....plus Doc's don't do pre-hospital interventions very often. Some interventions maybe but not some of the ones that count.

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Doesn't really matter if you don't know where stuff is in the truck if someone who does is riding in the back with you...

My question is why didn't the doc let the medic try and get the tube, and if they really couldn't get it why didn't this guy get a crike?

I sure hope the medic documented the living :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: outta the call, it's his truck and his responsibility.

The Doc sunk a combitube on the guy after the failed ETI.....The doc assumed patient care and wanted to do it. The Paramedic on that bus is one of my training advisors...shes a great medic. I don't know about the documentation but Im sure she did........

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant

Someone's been listening to their medic school instructors too much, your more arrogant and conceited than I am...and that's an achievement.

haha what do you mean more suited to this? I know in some parts of our city its a weekly event! So yeah, practice makes perfect

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Its probably also better to know where the equipment youll need is to perform a life saving intervention before the patient is dead.....just saying.....plus Doc's don't do pre-hospital interventions very often. Some interventions maybe but not some of the ones that count.

It was more of a general statement about some of the comments that have been made by a couple of the parties involved in this discussion than about the post that was inadvertently quoted.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

So your saying your average ED physician doesn't do airway control, place lines or administer medication very often?

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant

And it's not the medics responsibility anymore if a licensed and practicing MD takes pt care and rides in with the pt.....as far as I know at least....

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

This is what I was referring to but I am trying to be a little more civil than I normally am.

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
So your saying your average ED physician doesn't do airway control, place lines or administer medication very often?

you said a BASIC Doctor...not a ED physician. I'd take a ED physician over a average medic anyday....not a regular MD though that practices a different type of medicine

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Doesn't have to be pretty to work.

The part of the story that makes me wonder is why this 'great' ER doc said vitals were stable at that BP with signs of a tension pnuemo...sounds fishy to me, no offense. I truly am sorry about what happened to your friend.

I'll bite, at the level II here not too often for the airway and line placement.

RRTs and techs or nurses are so plentiful there's usually one around to take care of both tasks, respectively. Not saying they don't do it but more often than not it's someone else, in my limited experience in the ER.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
you said a BASIC Doctor...not a ED physician. I'd take a ED physician over a average medic anyday....not a regular MD though that practices a different type of medicine
You do know I was referring to the prehospital physicians in the UK when I said a BASIC doc right?

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
For whatever reason civility hasn't been on my agenda the past couple of days...

Its all good guys....this discussion has kinda gone in a argumentative direction. I'm not trying to sound arrogant I am just confident in the people I work with.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
For whatever reason civility hasn't been on my agenda the past couple of days...

Having the girlfriend around has tended to improve my mood significantly. Take that as you will. :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
And it's not the medics responsibility anymore if a licensed and practicing MD takes pt care and rides in with the pt.....as far as I know at least....

It's still the medic's truck, and if not documented properly can turn around and bite you in the ***. Albeit the MD will go down too but the medic very well could be dragged down with them, from my understanding. Just like an EMT-B partner can get screwed by not speaking up when his Medic partner was being negligent.

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Doesn't have to be pretty to work.

The part of the story that makes me wonder is why this 'great' ER doc said vitals were stable at that BP with signs of a tension pnuemo...sounds fishy to me, no offense. I truly am sorry about what happened to your friend.

I'll bite, at the level II here not too often for the airway and line placement.

RRTs and techs or nurses are so plentiful there's usually one around to take care of both tasks, respectively. Not saying they don't do it but more often than not it's someone else, in my limited experience in the ER.

THANK YOU. Since ER Doctors do IV's ALL The time. haha what a joke! And I don't know about the vitals. From what i gathered I think that the ER Doc was kinda scared to do surgical interventions in the field......again just out of her element.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
THANK YOU. Since ER Doctors do IV's ALL The time. haha what a joke! And I don't know about the vitals. From what i gathered I think that the ER Doc was kinda scared to do surgical interventions in the field......again just out of her element.
Ever seen a central line initiated? Not too far from an IV...