Pranksters superglue air ambulance gate

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader

AN ELDERLY woman in an air ambulance had to be flown miles away for treatment after pranksters glued the gates of a helipad in Cheltenham shut.

The woman, believed to be in her 90s, was airlifted Cheltenham General Hospital from the Evesham area after she collapsed yesterday morning. THURS

But when the emergency helicopter from West Midlands Air Ambulance landed at the designated helipad in Sandford Park they found someone had squirted superglue into the lock, operated by a digital keypad and they could not get the patient through.

Read more

haywood415

Forum Probie
whats wrong with this world? thats like slashing a fire truck's tires...so weak. wish they knew who did so they could throw the book at them.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
whats wrong with this world? thats like slashing a fire truck's tires...so weak. wish they knew who did so they could throw the book at them.

If I knew who it was, I'd be throwing more than the book at 'em.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

AN ELDERLY woman in an air ambulance had to be flown miles away for treatment after pranksters glued the gates of a helipad in Cheltenham shut.

The woman, believed to be in her 90s, was airlifted Cheltenham General Hospital from the Evesham area after she collapsed yesterday morning. THURS

But when the emergency helicopter from West Midlands Air Ambulance landed at the designated helipad in Sandford Park they found someone had squirted superglue into the lock, operated by a digital keypad and they could not get the patient through.

Read more
There was no way around the gate? Or no way to just lift the backboard / scoop over the gate?

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
There was no way around the gate? Or no way to just lift the backboard / scoop over the gate?

I don't know about the set up of your helipads, but the ones here are all high-fenced (up to 9' tall) and are fenced all around the helipad with no secondary gate.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't know about the set up of your helipads, but the ones here are all high-fenced (up to 9' tall) and are fenced all around the helipad with no secondary gate.

All of the ones around here are either on top of the building or have a short fence around it. Of course aeromed isn't used that often anyways.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
And people wonder why my AMB carries the hydraulic cutters/spreaders, and bolt cutters. :p

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I once lost two rear tires to some prankster with a two large knife blades. Worthless people use their energy so creatively.

Scout

Para-Noid
* i was wondering why the heli was using the gate, i would have assumed it flew....

This smack of a PR stunt thou, I see no reason why they could not have used another gate. I'm also going to assume the area needed to be cleared before the helicopter arrived, why was the gate issue not spotted then?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow. Just wow. I agree with nomo. I'd throw more then the book.

But I will say this. How was that not noticed before? The pad should have been opened and FOD walked before the landing.

And what ever happened to breaching and breaking? Granted, the bird does not carry that equipment and the hospital would not be expecting to do extrication or forceable entry or any of that stuff. But you would think that the maintinance staff would have something that would work.