Possible language barrier and age

Status
Not open for further replies.

agah

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here :) After years of self-employment and work with moms and babies (birth field), I decided that I finally want to pursue my career in EMS. It's something I strongly considered years ago and I'm at the point where I'm ready to go. My first consern is that English isn't my first language, and I have an accent. I speak Polish and German. Another thing I'm wondering about is my age. Back at home, it isn't unusual for a 30 y/o to start a career in a new field but I am slightly concerned because most inexperienced EMTs I've come across here are in their early 20s. I wonder if this could become an issue when I'm ready to get a job.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Both of theses are not an issue. We have many people starting a career in EMS at the age of 40+. So 30 is not a problem.

As far as your accent goes, as long as people can understand you then you are good. We have several medics and EMTs with thick accents and some who have speech issues but they learn to work around them.

Mikers

Forum Ride Along
I became an EMT at age 34 and didn't run into any issues. In fact, in my experience a lot of EMS employers seem to like people with a little more "life experience" since there are a ton of 18-21 year olds fresh out of EMT/medic school.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I became an EMT at 40, so no worries there. As for English not being your first language, you write better than some native speakers who visit this site. I doubt you'll have any trouble understanding or being understood. Viel Glück.

chrls

Forum Crew Member
I became an EMT at age 34 and didn't run into any issues. In fact, in my experience a lot of EMS employers seem to like people with a little more "life experience" since there are a ton of 18-21 year olds fresh out of EMT/medic school.

Welcome to EMTLife. This post is actually 7 years old so the person you replied to probably isn’t around anymore.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Everytime you Necropost, God kills a kitten.
#kittenslivesmatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.