Portable Radios

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I agree that 800 MHz isn't always the best way to go, especially if you're trying to cover a large area.

A few years ago, the state of South Dakota went to a statewide, digital trunked, VHF band (150 MHz) radio system that tied the entire state togehter. They were able to cover about 95% of the state with only thirty some towers. The advantage to this system is that the radios were still able to interface with the older, analog VHF systems (such as mutual aid) for those that didn't want to switch.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
ffemt8978 said:
I agree that 800 MHz isn't always the best way to go, especially if you're trying to cover a large area.

A few years ago, the state of South Dakota went to a statewide, digital trunked, VHF band (150 MHz) radio system that tied the entire state togehter. They were able to cover about 95% of the state with only thirty some towers. The advantage to this system is that the radios were still able to interface with the older, analog VHF systems (such as mutual aid) for those that didn't want to switch.
Not to mention that 800 MHz radios are expensive and you have limited options.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Guardian said:
what do you mean "limited options?"
There are very few 800 Mhz radios compared to VHF and UHF options.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
ffemt8978 said:

Do you have any more information on that? I'd be interested in reading about how they set all of that up. Sounds interesting!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i hate 800 radios. they suck, need far to much ewuipment, which needs far to much maintenence and they just dont work as well as other systems.

if i had my choice, id want a vhf band, repeat the hell out of it so i can get a signal in the radiology dept of the hosp, and give me an ht1000 to talk on. i'm a firm believer that the ht1000 is the besty radio moto has ever put out.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I don't know of any other company around here that equips each employee with three radios. We have the 800 for our dispatch, the VHF for PD, and another 800 for med control. It's fun trying to arrange them on the belt so you don't look like a total whacker on a call.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Both employees carry 3 radios?

Wow.

I don't think you can wear 3 radios and NOT look like a total whacker.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
No, they can't afford to buy each employee three radios. It's per unit. We've be working on transitioning to a county-wide MA/COM system for years now. Our service refuses to invest more money into portables.

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Wow...

Hate to bring up a dead topic, but my service, in particular uses Vertex Standards, w/ no infrastructure whatsoever... We're a standby service, though, so we don't generally need a huge service area, but it's frustrating to have to call someone on a cell phone when the radio craps out.

Personally, I would like to see HT750's or HT1250's w/ a trunked system, with a couple repeaters in the city.

The city EMS uses an Ericsson dispatch/radio system w/ 2 dispatch channels and a few dozen 'update' channels. I don't know the best way to describe it - all responding units goes to a channel for all communication related to that call. (Mutual Aid Channels?)

Just my .02.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
KEVD18 said:
i'm a firm believer that the ht1000 is the besty radio moto has ever put out.

You should get yourself a Saber then, older but even more reliable than the ht1000, plus it makes a great weapon!