Portable Radios

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Currently we use an 800 MHz system for our dispatch and medic-to-hospital radios. We use the Motorola LTS 2000 for dispatch, and Motorola MTS 2000 for medic-to-hospital. We also carry a Motorola HT 1250 LS for medic-to-PD communications.

The problem is that portables never work when we're inside a structure. We can barely use the MTS 2000 to contact med control if we're in the back of an ambulance. You had to lean by a window and pray to the radio gods.

Does anyone work for a public or private service that has a good radio system? What type of radios do you use?

Silverado94

Forum Probie
Our service uses Kenwood portables and kenwood in the ambulance and they work really well. I'm not sure of any models but give Kenwood a look We live in a rural area and even on the way to the hospital in the back of the ambulance they work.

RebelRescue

Forum Probie
The vol. dept I'm with also uses Motorola HT 1250s and have the same problem inside buildings,take abuse really well thou.My paid dept. uses Kenwoods and they do seem to send /recieve better on the inside of buildings and units.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Using moto HT 1250's over here and I have never had a problem with them in a building. Maybe you guys are just in bigger buildings or made of different material?

Now that I think of it, most of the building over here are made mostly of brick and stone. I would imagine that buildings made of steel would interfere more.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Raf said:
Using moto HT 1250's over here and I have never had a problem with them in a building.

Ditto... And we have concrete with steel reinforcements, I beams, and sheet metal covered office buildings.

If all else fails, use a tac

SWVAEMT

Forum Probie
Sounds like your dept. needs to add a few repeaters to your area.

We use the same radios as you but VERY rarely lose signal with the exception of the ED of one of the hospitals in our area which is in the basement of a large steel structure in the next county.

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
Various Motorola units ( Pagers, Low Band, High Band and MEDCOMM radios )

GE Units for the county 800MHz trunked system (EDACS)

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
In a word 800Mhz SUCKS! Our SO uses it here, and well, they cant talk to dispatch from the SO and its less than a BLOCK away! We are supposed to get them at EMS July 1!! This is going to cause us to go from bad to worse I fear, with our current VHF system we may not be able to get out alot but at least dispatch can hear us key up, with the 800 if you cant hit the repeater no one knows that you are getting your butt kicked, shot at, run down, etc...

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
we just got new motorola xts 5000 portables and i love them. the signal is clear through many feet of concrete in the basements of large high rise building, what more could i ask for.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Guardian said:
we just got new motorola xts 5000 portables and i love them. the signal is clear through many feet of concrete in the basements of large high rise building, what more could i ask for.
The XTS 5000s are the best of the Motorola line. Do you know if you're on UHF, VHF, or 800?

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
MMIz I have to disagree with you, the best of the moto line ever was the SABER radio...the xts is extremely fragile, if you drop it from more than 10 feet it has to go to the service depot in MEXICO to be fixed...the Saber's could withstand being run over by a 727 and still work all they would need is a new case...and I stick to my first post...800 Mhz SUCKS!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I think it's your 800 mhz system that sucks, cause ours rocks. I carry a portable on me most of the time. I can be inside most businesses (no basements here) and have no problem getting out. It's great being 40 miles away from someone and speaking to them like they are sitting right next to me.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
MMiz said:
The XTS 5000s are the best of the Motorola line. Do you know if you're on UHF, VHF, or 800?
When I said "best" I meant "top of the line / Motorola will try to sell you on the XTS."

As someone who uses the LTS 2000, the cheapest 800 Mhz available, I really don't know too much about radios. I just know that the 800 can't transmit for crap inside buildings.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
We are in a rural setting here, and well, the system provider (Motorola) states there are no dead spots, however that is simply a full out lie, I mean really, someone should be able to talk from one block to the next...the problem could lie in the infastructure of the system, or lack thereof...at any rate it is a statewide system, and works most everywhere else but here!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
FFEMT1764 said:
We are in a rural setting here, and well, the system provider (Motorola) states there are no dead spots, however that is simply a full out lie, I mean really, someone should be able to talk from one block to the next...the problem could lie in the infastructure of the system, or lack thereof...at any rate it is a statewide system, and works most everywhere else but here!
Gee... You should try EF Johnson...

My county's system has been a big C.F. since day one.. and has been a "another 10 million for this tower" "another XX for this patch for dispatch consoles" "another tower" "ANOTHER tower"

And we still have iffy service in the middle of the friggin' county seat (my coverage area)... as in, NEXT TO THE COURT HOUSE!

We are hoping the problems will FINALLY get fixed with the rebanding project...

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Jon,

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of radios do you use at your paid service?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Little Cell-phone like thingies that say "NEXTEL" on them ;)

Sometimes, when we do large standbys, we rent portable radios from a local provider ("BearCom")

Also, when we do standbys at the Pennsylvania Convention Center (in Philly) we have radios that we use just for there (I think they are issued to us and not owned by us, but I'm not sure)

HFD EMS

Forum Probie
We use Vertex Standard Portable Radios for our county wide ambulance service and we have multiple channels so we use our radio for dispatch, mercy (which is our hospital channel), then others for mutual aid and they work really well. Inside and out of structures

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
MMiz, I'm on the 800 system. I do think 800s are overrated. It's not so much the frequency that makes 800s better, it's usually just the fact that people are installing much newer and and more comprehensive systems in place of the older ones. I'm a ham radio operator and I learned that the lower the frequency, the farther the signal travels on its own, so having an 800 out in the country is not necessary better. 800s do penetrate structures better however and with the right number of repeaters, range isn't an issue.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Guardian said:
MMiz, I'm on the 800 system. I do think 800s are overrated. It's not so much the frequency that makes 800s better, it's usually just the fact that people are installing much newer and and more comprehensive systems in place of the older ones. I'm a ham radio operator and I learned that the lower the frequency, the farther the signal travels on its own, so having an 800 out in the country is not necessary better. 800s do penetrate structures better however and with the right number of repeaters, range isn't an issue.
Guardian,

Once again I think you hit the nail on the head. We use 800 MHz radios because our parent company uses 800s a couple of counties away, where they have a great infrastructure. We only have a huge antenna on top of a hospital and no repeaters.

I'm big on communication, so I'd like to see a system that works. Unfortunately I don't see it in our future (The county has struggled to implement Ma/Coms OpenSky system for years).