Poor driving record what are my options?

LifeSaver

Forum Ride Along
I have a really poor driving record. Is there any chance of getting hired? What are my options? I am 24 and have 4 violations in the past 3 years. I have not gotten my license suspended, and am a new EMT-B. Has anyone with a worse driving record gotten hired?

6/09 speeding 1point
08/08 speeding 1point
02/08 speeding 1point
12/07 carpool violation 0point

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Slow down. You knew going into this job that driving was a huge part.

Past that, every company is different. You may not get your pick of companies, but I have seen worse records get hired. A lot of places hire attendants only or may have more lax insurance policies. Some may even tell you to pay the difference in your policy.

TLDR; Ask specific companies you want to work at - they all vary.

OP
OP
L

LifeSaver

Forum Ride Along
I actually decided on firefighter career in April. I just finished getting my EMT cert. And now kicking myself for my past driving history. :sad: Glad to hear that I have a chance in finding employment still. Thanks for the input

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You have a chance of getting hired, but you have to know that with the current economy employers really have an advantage when it comes to hiring qualified applicants. Some aren't willing to take a chance with a driver with a poor driving record when there are hundreds of qualified applicants with great driving records.

I'd continue your education and become as qualified an applicant as possible. Every bit helps in today's economy.

Good luck!