Poll: Should pics be released to the public?

Pictures released to the public? You decide

• Yes. Post them on Twitter, MySpace, wherever.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • No. Keep them in the EMS field.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No. Do not show them around at all or do not take pictures.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No. Making copies of pt. test results is wrong an un-professional.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Pics of EMS coworkers, rigs, etc. but not test results or crash photos with blood.

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Reaction score
Hey y'all, just a quick poll to see what you think about this. Several departments in my area, mine included, are home to a few Paragods that are absolute picture :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s. Meaning, they take pictures of everything. First it started out as each other, rigs, equipment- other innate objects but recently it has gotten as bad as copies of EKG results, bloody mess in the ambo after a trauma call, 10-50 scenes, fires, other responders in various pictures doing various tasks, etc. etc. I personally do not believe that they should be able to say "Hey, I got the EKG results right here, you wanna see 'em?" whenever they tell the story about a lady they picked up last week who was in v-fib. I can understand the stories, but gorey pictures and test results are unethical and morally unstable. What do you guys think?

Hey y'all, just a quick poll to see what you think about this. Several departments in my area, mine included, are home to a few Paragods that are absolute picture :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s. Meaning, they take pictures of everything. First it started out as each other, rigs, equipment- other innate objects but recently it has gotten as bad as copies of EKG results, bloody mess in the ambo after a trauma call, 10-50 scenes, fires, other responders in various pictures doing various tasks, etc. etc. I personally do not believe that they should be able to say "Hey, I got the EKG results right here, you wanna see 'em?" whenever they tell the story about a lady they picked up last week who was in v-fib. I can understand the stories, but gorey pictures and test results are unethical and morally unstable. What do you guys think?

Yes for the ECG's as long as HIPPA info is removed, We like to post challenging or rare strips on the board for all to interpret. We'll write down a synopsis of the run on the back (HIPAA friendly).

As far as everything else, I disagree with those types of pictures, and they'll probably get sued at some point. Are these in a scrapbook or on their computer only, or are they posted on facebook anf youtube?

These medics seem quite insecure and low in self esteem in that they feel the need to puff themselves up with these pictures to achieve some self perceived measure of self worth.

What's the company's policy in regards?

Yes for the ECG's as long as HIPPA info is removed, We like to post challenging or rare strips on the board for all to interpret. We'll write down a synopsis of the run on the back (HIPAA friendly).

As far as everything else, I disagree with those types of pictures, and they'll probably get sued at some point. Are these in a scrapbook or on their computer only, or are they posted on facebook anf youtube?

These medics seem quite insecure and low in self esteem in that they feel the need to puff themselves up with these pictures to achieve some self perceived measure of self worth.

What's the company's policy in regards?
The company policy is very lenient: do not violate HIPAA laws. However, these results can sometimes include age and gender of the pt., and sometimes first, but never last, names. I think it is wrong. They play themselves out to be Superman and turn into complete picture wh*res when something happens. Also they suffer from drama queen disorder. And their pics have been up on several places, but some people started reporting them and some got taken down. Smart people- that stuff shouldn't be seen by God and everybody else. Why do you think ambulances have privacy glass?

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting a picture can be construed as publication.

Unless you are a news outlet and the picture is of a story, (and sometimes even then), you need releases to put people's pictures out there.
As far as the EKG's, lab results, etc., if it is absolutely unrecognizeable, sure. Don't get into case stories which identify pts too much.

If there is no pt identifiers, and no actual patients in the picture... why not, so long as you follow company procedures and the law.

Blood stain on the rig floor you want to take a pic of to show off? Rather weird, but nothing wrong.

EKG? Sure

Fires? As long as you don't have work to do.

Other responders? Again... follow the law.

If there is no pt identifiers, and no actual patients in the picture... why not, so long as you follow company procedures and the law.

Blood stain on the rig floor you want to take a pic of to show off? Rather weird, but nothing wrong.

EKG? Sure

Fires? As long as you don't have work to do.

Other responders? Again... follow the law.
Take pictures of anything and everything and post them on myspace and twitter and face book and photobucket and let everyone know what company I work for!!!!

</sarcasm>

Not saying I'd do it... just saying nothing wrong as long as you follow the rules / do your job.

oh! I forgot to include the one about how a Medic in another city has pics of when some guy blew his head off with a .45 Yummm!!! Brain Splatter!! It's what's for dinner!!! ;)

Outside of things like ECGs and other lab results (especially once POC testing becomes standard), and then for discussion only, no.

Obligatory California car crash picture article (one of the better ones, to be honest, because it includes information up through the court case and the effects felt by the family)
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/nikki-catsouras-chp-1965415-donnell-family

Another story on the aftermath of the photos release.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/195073/page/1
I did look at both of these links. One of them was a DateLine special one time. I remember thinking the whole time what an :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: that guy is.

I inspected all of our ambulances for damages one day since i was half crew, and we had one where the frame was all bent for some reason, so I took pictures of it on my personal digi-cam and showed it to the supervisor.... The camera I keep with me in my backpack... And one time we had a pscyh who punched through a thick piece of safety glass, I took a picture of the broken glass with my cell phone and at the ER showed the nurse the picture, and had her watch me delete it...

We do the same thing, it falls under training as far as my employer is concerned. Although they will remove something if they notice that there is a HIPAA violation.

I personally don't have an issue with EKGs, lab results etc being used in a teaching/training context. Real life information is often used in case studies in the medical field to educate other people.

My first question would be: to what end?

Certain photos, provided HIPPA/PHIPPA (Ontario equivalent) identifiers are removed may be useful for teaching or case review, but I don't think what's going on with most of what you describe.

I have brought a camera to work with me to snap some shots for memories, but I left it at the base. I didn't even want it in my gear bag to ensure no appearance of impropriety.

Photos of trauma scenes, and messes in the truck are just risky; especially on the internet where the world is surprisingly small and things get back to people you may never have intended.

Besides, do you really want to bring that home with you?

After reading your other post about providing the utmost care, and treating patients like you would want to be treated because you may be one, and so on...ask yourself this: Would I want these types of pictures of me being the ego boost for some medic?

Why else would you take these pictures to show others? The medic in questions wants others to see grisly photos and have them think "wow, this medic must be good if he handled this case". There isn't any teaching moments here...just a 'wow' factor that gives people that ego boost in knowing that people have the impression you have "been there and seen that".

In regards to EKG's...different story. They can be an excellent teaching experience, and you're not associating a person to them. Especially in rhythms considered an anomaly (i.e. Osborne J waves)...although I guess one could say that pools of blood, brain matter, bone, etc. isn't associating a person to it either...hopefully one could see the difference between the two.

At our service as I have said before we have a NO picture policy.

We can not take pictures of anything on duty seeing that anything can leak out to the public/web.

We can not take pictures of us on a call and connot take pictures of us chillin around the station unless it is a approved training class.

I think picture taking at work is good and bad....Good to use for future training bad to catch people in sticky or awkward situations that can cause a whole issue with the city and family.

I mean look at the cops that had pictures taken of them playing Wii at a crime scene. Someone leaked those out!!!

Many of the "EMS related" photos that I see on Facebook fall in several categories:
"in jokes" around the workplace
oddball things that make you laugh... either with the crew, or at them.

Things like a photo of the back of a rig that was TRASHED on a bad call... no patient or patient info to be seen. There might be blood, and lots of mess. We've all had those calls.

Or photos of crews working on a fire or rescue call, taken when there wasn't anything to do but stand back and watch.

I don't usually see EKG photos online... but I've seen them, or copies of an EKG, used in discussions to rehash "that call"

Back