Police chase in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrible one

Always wandering
Sometimes protecting the greater public means to let them go. They are the ones who chose to pursue and by doing so put other people's lives in danger as well.

by letting them go the suspects are able to commit more crimes. how is that protecting the public?
if someone robs/assualts/kills a family member of yours and the police see the suspect and he runs you are OK with them not chasing them?

Sasha

Forum Chief
If it's a routine traffic stop and they put the public at risk by chasing them..how does that even make sense?

If you or family got hit and killed by someone who was fleeing police because they didn't want to be caught on a suspended license, don't you think that's a little pointless??

There wouldn't have been a highspeed chase if no one was following the suspect.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
No, I have seen and worked my fair sure of high speed chases. Risking all, including life and property. Sure keep an eye and monitor, sometime, somewhere they will have to stop. Kinda like a single barricaded person in a home, they will have to leave sometime.

R/r 911

Fair enough. But consider the fact that the officers didn't know where the suspect was going, or what he was doing. He could of been going to murder somebody, or something else. Far fetched? Yes. But in the world of LE, anything can happen.

High speed chases are dangerous. I will completely admit that. But calling the officers "idiots" just seems a little harsh.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If it's a routine traffic stop and they put the public at risk by chasing them..how does that even make sense?

If you or family got hit and killed by someone who was fleeing police because they didn't want to be caught on a suspended license, don't you think that's a little pointless??

So cops are to read minds now?

Majority of the time someone flees it's because of something other then trying to get out of a speeding ticket. A cop doesn't know why the car in front of him is fleeing, only that they are committing a felony in doing so.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

Yes, they put the public at risk by giving chase. But they also put the public at risk by letting the person go.

You are correct, it would be pointless for somebody to die over a suspended license. But the problem is, sometimes the police don't know what other crimes have or will be committed. The police need to keep everybody safe the best they can. Sometimes, innocent lives will be put at risk.

The police cannot just give up on trying to arrest subjects because people might get hurt.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So cops are to read minds now?

Majority of the time someone flees it's because of something other then trying to get out of a speeding ticket. A cop doesn't know why the car in front of him is fleeing, only that they are committing a felony in doing so.

And they have a choice to chase or not to chase.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
A cop doesn't know why the car in front of him is fleeing, only that they are committing a felony in doing so.

Very good point.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This is NOT the forum to discuss LE policy and procedures.

terrible one

Always wandering
But the problem is, sometimes the police don't know what other crimes have or will be committed.

The police cannot just give up on trying to arrest subjects because people might get hurt.

Majority of the time someone flees it's because of something other then trying to get out of a speeding ticket.

exactly. Most people (again most, not all) don't just run because of a traffic violation.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
This is NOT the forum to discuss LE policy and procedures.

I respectfully ask that you allow us to continue this discussion. As long as we remain civil, it should be interesting and possibly beneficial. Of course, the final decision is yours, but please just take this into consideration.

FTRPO

Forum Crew Member
I can see your side of not pursuing sasha and to anyone else that has read and agreed. Like Linuss and others have said though, you have no idea what this guy just did, your absolutely correct he could be running because he has a suspended license. You could also be so totally wrong. He could of just killed his children and on his way to his wifes work to kill her and everyone else inside. Not pursuing someone after attempting to pull them over is like telling a kid he cant have something and then when they say yes I can you give it to them. I would totally agree that this pursuit got out of hand as the officers gave chase for over an hour and a half. As soon as you stop chasing people there will be no reason for anyone to ever stop. Just run they wont chase you????

Hockey

Quackers
And they have a choice to chase or not to chase.

Sasha, I say this in the most respectful way, but you obviously have no knowledge about law enforcement and their policies therefore you are making assumptions.

You don't know the full story. Only those who were actually there. This guy could have had several warrants.

And yes, it takes two to "chase".

However, I've seen it time and time again, you call the chase, 5 miles down the road, the driver is STILL going to be speeding away and driving recklessly and they wreck.

So do you believe the cops should sit there with their hands up their butt when somebody decides to flee from the police? Thats what you are making it sound.

I respectfully ask that you allow us to continue this discussion. As long as we remain civil, it should be interesting and possibly beneficial. Of course, the final decision is yours, but please just take this into consideration.

+1

Sasha

Forum Chief
I can see your side of not pursuing sasha and to anyone else that has read and agreed. Like Linuss and others have said though, you have no idea what this guy just did, your absolutely correct he could be running because he has a suspended license. You could also be so totally wrong. He could of just killed his children and on his way to his wifes work to kill her and everyone else inside. Not pursuing someone after attempting to pull them over is like telling a kid he cant have something and then when they say yes I can you give it to them. I would totally agree that this pursuit got out of hand as the officers gave chase for over an hour and a half. As soon as you stop chasing people there will be no reason for anyone to ever stop. Just run they wont chase you????

You are going to know he's off to kill someone by pulling him over??? What if he had stopped, taken his ticket, and left to his wife's work and killed them?

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Except this guy was being pulled over for a warrant, not a simple traffic violation.

0629suspectchase.jpg

Here's the guy. Listed as critical condition right now.

PS-- they interviewed the guy that was in the pickup who hit the car-- and "wow" is all I have to say.

"They should not have chased him for two hours, risking everybody’s lives like they did,” Anderson said. "I mean, it is so simple for them to squeeze him into a controlled situation, put him somewhere else, than it is to let him run wild out here. I mean, no police officer in front warning people[and letting people know what’s going on. I didn’t even hear sirens. The only time I heard sirens was after I hit him.”

Obviously, he should be a police chief, since he knows oh so much about how chases work. Sadly, I see a hefty settlement going this guys way.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

No.

There are a plethera of forums out there where you can discuss LE policies and procedures to your hearts content...this is not one of them. I will not tolerate an LE bashing or LE flag waving here. If you want to do that, take it elsewhere.

And there is no way you can convince me that this discussion can any way benefit EMS.

Hockey

Quackers
No.

There are a plethera of forums out there where you can discuss LE policies and procedures to your hearts content...this is not one of them. I will not tolerate an LE bashing or LE flag waving here. If you want to do that, take it elsewhere.

And there is no way you can convince me that this discussion can any way benefit EMS.

So 100% of every discussion here has to be about EMS?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No, but this is not the forum to bash on LE or wave their flag.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Aside from Rids comment on the possibility of cops being an idiot, there is no such bashing or flag waving going on.

Just a discussion of a suspect putting peoples lives at risk, and the chase/no chase policies some places have.

FTRPO

Forum Crew Member
A good police officer may suspect something by someones demeanor who has just murdered and plans to do it again. But the point is he didnt stop so who knows what he was going to do. Why run? Because you have just done something good or plan to do something good in the future? Not convincing me.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes Sasha, I'm a horrible guy. If someone puts hundreds of lives in danger just to avoid being arrested, and shows absolutly no care for others on the road, as long as an innocent person doesn't suffer, I don't give a darn what happens to the suspect.

All he is now is a drain on healthcare, and should his self survive, be a drain on corrections.

Dallas pd has a no pursuit policy. Looked down on by many agencies around here. And as far as I know, are the only city in north Texas to have such a policy.

If you attempt to pull someone overand they flee, you don't kno why they are fleeing. They could have just committed murder. They can be headed to do a murder or robbery. They can be osoma bin laden fir all we know.

You simply do not take the chance tgat they were simply trying to get out of a speeding ticket.

If they commit a felony and run from the police, there is no limit to what other crimes they will commit.

So, wouldn't chasing them put lives in danger? Not just the suspect's and the LEO's lives, but hundreds of innocent civilian's lives as well. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of High-Speed pursuits, too much chance that an innocent person could be injured. There are other alternatives that could be used. Alright, I'm done with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.