Police and the ER Entrance

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
How are the police around your ERs? I constantly have problems at 3 ERs with local cops clogging up ambulance spaces when there is ample parking 20 feet away. Twice this month I have had words exchanged with cops either blocking my access to the ER or taking the last ambulance space and having to lug a back injury pt 30' through a snow covered parking lot. I came really close to taking a swing at that last one.

CMillican

Forum Probie
Our Ambulance entrances here have keypads where you have to input a code to get into them and only the EMS personnel knows them, so if cops need to get into the ED they have to use the main entrance. The last time i saw a cruiser parked in the ambulance bay it was actually pushed out of the way by a rescue carrying a code. Needless to say that cop learned his lesson, when his supervisor showed up the cop *****ed to him and the supervisor didnt feel sorry for him

JPINFV

Gadfly
Our Ambulance entrances here have keypads where you have to input a code to get into them and only the EMS personnel knows them, so if cops need to get into the ED they have to use the main entrance. The last time i saw a cruiser parked in the ambulance bay it was actually pushed out of the way by a rescue carrying a code. Needless to say that cop learned his lesson, when his supervisor showed up the cop *****ed to him and the supervisor didnt feel sorry for him

You mean there are ED entrances that have codes besides 911* or, in California's case, 5150? I think the best "code" I've seen (absolutely no sarcasm intended) was a black button in the anteroom of the entrance on a intercom that looks like it hadn't been used in 10 years. It doesn't grab your attention unless you know what it's there for.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
How are the police around your ERs? I constantly have problems at 3 ERs with local cops clogging up ambulance spaces when there is ample parking 20 feet away. Twice this month I have had words exchanged with cops either blocking my access to the ER or taking the last ambulance space and having to lug a back injury pt 30' through a snow covered parking lot. I came really close to taking a swing at that last one.
1) if its making you that mad that you are considering taking a swing at a cop, over something like a parking space, you might want to consider a new career. otherwise, you might find yourself in mucho trouble if you chose not to. Esp if you take a swing at the cop....

2) cops (and corrections officers) often park in ambulance spaces when they are in the ER on official bussiness. usually if you ask them to move, and explain why you are asking them to move, they will.

3) if they don't, and it becomes a problem, have your hospital find a complain with the police dept admin. either call the on duty Sgt for a immediate response, and follow it up with the Lt and Captain to see if it can be prevented in the future.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have NEVER had problems with cops taking ambulance spots. Ever.

However, I do with civilians that I CONSTANTLY have problems with (if anyone ever goes to Parkland you know what I mean).

When an ambulance pulls in to Parkland, we ALL turn on our lights... that usually gets most to move. If they don't, I ask them to move. If they still don't, I TELL them to move.

If they STILL refuse, they either get blocked in for 20+ minutes, or hospital police get a phone call and the car gets towed. Either works for me.

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:-ish? Maybe, but it's clearly marked, they were warned, and it's a constant problem at Parkland so police AND EMS are done with it.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

So they caused probably 5-6k in damage for someone who an extra 30 seconds waiting wouldn't have mattered. I hope they got term'd and cited.

Sam Adams

Forum Lieutenant

Block them in. Finish your report. Re-stock all the cabinets. While re-stocking the cabinets you're probably going to want to clean the inside of said cabinets. The hospital has mops. It'd also be a good time to mop the floor. Exchange out your expired meds. Change the stretcher straps. Pull all the equipment out from under the bench seat and clean up those pesky lancet and IV bag knobby thingys and the dust bunnies. Have a contest with your partner. One person take gloves the other napkins. Whoever finds the most on the floor up front wins....

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
All the big ERs around here have spots reserved for police near the ER entrances. I don't think I have ever seen more than 2 cops ever parked there. Ambulance bays are for ambulances only.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
No problem here. The cops and deputies (and yes, even the troopers) stay well clear of the amb entrance at the ER.

Now civilians? Yes. Oh my word! Apparently the HUGE red sign that says "DO NOT ENTER. AMBULANCE ENTRANCE ONLY." is not enough. Never mind there is a huge blue sign on the other driveway that says "EMERGENCY ENTRANCE."

I usually inform people that is is against regulations for them to use that driveway and that they need to move, now. Usually a firm tone coupled with that information gets them moving.

Minnick27

Forum Crew Member
We have an ER that has a pull through ER. You park under the overhang to off load the pt, then the driver moves the truck forward to the reserved parking spots. And people always park in those spots, despite the giant signs saying no parking. So we block them in to free up the overhang. I had a cop try to give me a ticket for it once because I was blocking a vehicle nevermind the fact they were parked illegally

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We don't generally have that problem around here. LEOs do park at the ED, and around the Ambulance entrance, but they're really good about not blocking trucks or spaces. They jump curbs, park in fire lanes, etc. It's all about the balance between being close and immediate access to the ED...

Trip

Forum Probie
We have a huge problem with everyone, civi's and police alike, parking in our ambulance parking. We have been known to park, blocking 2-3 cars while making sure we have restocked everything we used, one piece, one trip to get it. One that kinda sticks in my mind was someone on a crutch, parked in the ambulance parking with handicap parking readily available. For once, I was glad there was an officer handy to inform them that parking in spaces reserved for emergency vehicles carries the same penalty as parking in handicapped spots without a tag. lol

Jay

Forum Lieutenant
5150, What? Why?

You mean there are ED entrances that have codes besides 911* or, in California's case, 5150?

What is the significance of 5150 why it is used so frequently in CA?

I have never even seen 911* used in Philly though there seems to be a certain commonality to the ones that I have seen in use locally but I am sure that certain local ED's probably wouldn't appreciate if I spilled the beans on them.

JPINFV

Gadfly
5150 is the section of the California Health and Welfare code covering the involuntary detention of individuals for up to 72 hours for the initial evaluation and treatment of psychiatric disorders causing the patient to be a danger to self, others, or gravely disabled.

WARR

Forum Crew Member

I have never even seen 911* used in Philly though there seems to be a certain commonality to the ones that I have seen in use locally but I am sure that certain local ED's probably wouldn't appreciate if I spilled the beans on them.
It means that the person has mental problems. It is also slang to describe someone who is wacko. lol

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Block them in. Finish your report. Re-stock all the cabinets. While re-stocking the cabinets you're probably going to want to clean the inside of said cabinets. The hospital has mops. It'd also be a good time to mop the floor. Exchange out your expired meds. Change the stretcher straps. Pull all the equipment out from under the bench seat and clean up those pesky lancet and IV bag knobby thingys and the dust bunnies. Have a contest with your partner. One person take gloves the other napkins. Whoever finds the most on the floor up front wins....

This.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Never had a problem with LE, but hot damn, civvies and the Sharp Chula Vista ER bay. The bay is small enough to begin with, throw a dim-witted civvie (read all of California) drivers up there...

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Never had a problem with LE, but hot damn, civvies and the Sharp Chula Vista ER bay. The bay is small enough to begin with, throw a dim-witted civvie (read all of California) drivers up there...

Scripps Chula is worse... There's only 2 bay spots. At least sharp chula has 5!

At Scripps, unless I'm offloading in the ER, or picking up a Neuro / Stemi pt, I don't park in the ER bay.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Scripps Chula is worse... There's only 2 bay spots. At least sharp chula has 5!

At Scripps, unless I'm offloading in the ER, or picking up a Neuro / Stemi pt, I don't park in the ER bay.

Yes, less spots, but at least when you tell people to move they can just pull straight through, without having to make a 20 point turn to get out of your way...