Pittsburg EMS

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
Hello,
I am interested in Pittsburg EMS. What kind of service is it? Technology? Pay? Are there oppritunities for advancement

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
OP
OP
medictinysc

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
Thanks

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
two words

Good Luck..

Pittsburgh is one of the harder cities to gain employment in.

1. You must be a resident when they offer you a job.
2. Civil Service Testing requirements,
3. Must have a Pa Dept. of Health Paramedic Liscense
4. ALS only service

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Pittsburgh is one of the harder cities to gain employment in.

1. You must be a resident when they offer you a job.
2. Civil Service Testing requirements,
3. Must have a Pa Dept. of Health Paramedic Liscense
4. ALS only service
So if you want to work for PEMS (and I would, if they didn't do 8 hr shifts): start the process to get your PA medic license, figure out what civil service wants, and be prepared to move to Pitts if offered the job.

Not for nothing, but I would much rather have it be a requirement to be a resident when they offer you the job vs being a resident in order to apply for the job.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
So if you want to work for PEMS (and I would, if they didn't do 8 hr shifts): start the process to get your PA medic license, figure out what civil service wants, and be prepared to move to Pitts if offered the job.

Not for nothing, but I would much rather have it be a requirement to be a resident when they offer you the job vs being a resident in order to apply for the job.

Yeah I don't understand that requirement, Most places I've seen give you 6 months to a year to become a resident from time of appointment.

And the 8 hour shifts Ugh.. I think that's to keep a fresh mind on or to allow for mandatory overtime if needed.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
You need to check with the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, certain positions have a home residency requirement there. If you are not a resident currently the dirty secret is they toss your application out and tell you that you did not make the cut. They are also pushing to get this requirement for the career fire, and police but their unions have kept them at bay so far. :ph34r:

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
A big, fat polygraph is in the hiring process, too.
They don't tell you that, either, until they spring it on you.

Also, on paper, it says you have to be a city resident at the time of appointment, not at the time of application.
However, RescueRider724 makes a very good point about preferential hiring of bona fide residents of the City during the application period.

Last edited by a moderator:

PittEMT

Forum Ride Along
Check the surround services for Pittsburgh? You can try to gain employment through them before applying to the city. It will allow you to make an easier transition into the city since they do not have any residency requirements.