physio question

Papa

Forum Probie
Hey Guys,

we are studying physiology in paramedic school, there is so much to due and I feel like i am falling behind. i have a question about nurotransmiters, i hope you can help.

i think we can all agree that the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervos systems oppose each other. furthermore the types of receptor sites in the sympathetic nervos system are adrenergic, and the receptors in the sympathetic system are cholinergic.

norepi and epi can interact with adrenergic receptors, and ach or nicotine can interact with cholinergic sites.

so how can it be that ach can also be a nurotransmiter in the sympathetic nervos system?

thanks
papa

JPINFV

Gadfly
Explore the difference between pre-ganglionic and post-ganglionic receptors.

OP
OP
P

Papa

Forum Probie
Explore the difference between pre-ganglionic and post-ganglionic receptors.

so are you saying that the locashun of the receptors matters as much if not more than the chemical make up of the nurotransmiter?

this is what i dont understand.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The chemical makeup of the neurotransmitter will determine which receptors it interacts with. However, different types of receptors are found pre and post ganglionic in each system.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
the only cholinergic receptor in the sympathetic system is for sweat glands, if I remember correctly.

JPINFV

Gadfly
the only cholinergic receptor in the sympathetic system is for sweat glands, if I remember correctly.

Actually, the preganglionic receptors are all nicotinic. The post ganglionic receptors, on the other hand, are primarily adenergic. The sweat glands are muscarinic receptors. Both muscarinic and nicotinic receptors are types of cholinergic receptors.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sorry I wasn't more specific, but you sir are correct.

I was referring to post ganglionic receptors of the sympathetic system.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Might I suggest that the OP learn proper spelling or the use of spell check? We went through physiology a couple of weeks ago and I didn't think it was all that hard? Also something that one of the guys in my class came up with is cholinergic deals with the colon. Can't remember what he came up with for the adrenergic. Believe it was adrenergic deals with adrenalin which is epi. Will ask him Tue when I see him in class.

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
This picture might help:

image15.png

Source link: Here

Notice that at the end of the pre-ganglionic fiber (CNS --> ganglion), acetylcholine is used as the neurotransmitter. However, in the post ganglion fiber (Ganglion --> target cell) this is where the differences between the two parts of the neurotransmitters for Parasympathetic (rest and digest) and Sympathetic (fight or flight) can be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
so are you saying that the locashun of the receptors matters as much if not more than the chemical make up of the nurotransmiter?

this is what i dont understand.

Yes.

The location of the target receptor defines the response to receptor binding. The nature of the neurotransmitter (or hormone, or medication / intoxicant) defines which receptors it can bind and activate (or inactivate / partially activate, etc.).