Physician assistant as Medic in NYS

CAR1

Forum Probie
Anyone know any info if a PA in NYS can ride as a paramedic, or challenge the

test? How about with the national registry?

If the answer to the above is no, I propose the following: In NYS a medic is

working under the medical directors license (as apposed to other states where

it's hospital based ) so can't the medical director let the PA do whatever skills he

feels comfortable with?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Anyone know any info if a PA in NYS can ride as a paramedic, or challenge the

test? How about with the national registry?

If the answer to the above is no, I propose the following: In NYS a medic is

working under the medical directors license (as apposed to other states where

it's hospital based ) so can't the medical director let the PA do whatever skills he

feels comfortable with?

With very few exceptions, most ever EMS provider in this country works under a physician's license. You cannot work under a hospital's license, even hospital based EMS has a specific doctor doing the medical direction.

I'm not sure if there are PAs working on ambulances, I guess I question what the point with be. If you want to be a medic take a medic course. Don't get your PA to ride a truck.

OP
OP
C

CAR1

Forum Probie
I want to be a PA to secure a better future for myself and my family. That being said I still enjoy being on the street and once I am a PA would love to continue as a volly.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You can not act as a medic. It wouldn't matter that your a pa, you must follow REMAC/ remo protocols.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
In Nassau County NY you can take the AEMT/CC course which is only like 400 and as an RN or PA you will be considered a medic.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
NC has such things as prehospital PA's and NP's...as in sanctioned in state protocol. I'm sure such things exist elsewhere.

OP
OP
C

CAR1

Forum Probie
You can not act as a medic. It wouldn't matter that your a pa, you must follow REMAC/ remo protocols.

I understand i will have to follow protocols, but my question is will i be able to perform ALS Procedures (under their protocols)

OP
OP
C

CAR1

Forum Probie
In Nassau County NY you can take the AEMT/CC course which is only like 400 and as an RN or PA you will be considered a medic.

That's only in Nassau? Aren't all Levels of EMT courses A state course? (i know in many places a medic has to take the local protocol test to operate in that area)

EPFD112

Forum Probie
Don't mean to dig up an old thread, but I wanted to answer this question. To my knowledge the answer is no. A PA/RN cannot bridge over to AEMT-I/Medic in NY state. I'm a Basic (currently enrolled in AEMT-I) in the Big Lakes Region of NY. When my Intermediate class started last week, we had an RN show up thinking she could take the test. She was promptly informed by my instructor that before she could take the Intermediate class, she would have to take a Basic course and obtain a basic EMT card.

So even though you're a PA in NY, you are still required to first obtain a basic EMT card, and then move up to a higher level from there, just like anyone else. It wouldn't matter if you had a PHD, the same applies.

The reasoning behind this is mostly because Pre-Hospital care has many differences from In-Hospital care, and there are so many different protocols to learn that you pretty much have to take the class in order to memorize them.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The reasoning behind this is mostly because Pre-Hospital care has many differences from In-Hospital care, and there are so many different protocols to learn that you pretty much have to take the class in order to memorize them.

A properly educated PA shouldn't be following protocols anyways. This is ignoring that medicine is medicine. There are some operational issues that should easily be taught, but the concepts of managing acute pulmonary edema secondary to congestive heart failure doesn't change.

Last edited by a moderator: