Physical requirements of EMT-B

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, there are also lots of ways to "cheat." Lean on the wall to keep your balance (balance seems to be the main issue for people), as I mentioned before, "hook" the stretcher onto your belt, rest it against your thighs or pelvis rather than trying to hold it up with just your arms, and start by going backwards up the stairs if you are the weaker person in your crew, since it's usually the toughest part of it.

Sounds reasonable enougth. probably i am just overanalizing too much. So as long as you have reliable partner, you're ok. But how often EMT expexted to use the emergency one-rescuer moves, if at all. Or is it FF spesific part?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
:ph34r:pardon me, if my quiestion is naive or inappropriate, but wouldn't they have different weight lifting technics or regulations, depending if you are famale or male. just asking...:unsure:

Ah, yes, starting next work I work with another female, since we're both female, and therefore we don't have to lift as much as the men, when we get a 300 lb pt, what, we're gonna tell them, "I'm sorry sir, you can't go to the hospital today, we're not required to lift you because we're women?" Nope, doesn't work that way.

Male/female, Buck 10/buck 90, Slight/built/ripped; it doesn't matter, we ALL have to be able to lift the patient.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello!My name is Svet. I have academic certificate of 2 years in nursing college from 3 years age. i am not a EMT nor am i a student. But i am interested in this profession and curently thinking about gonig for EMT-B training. i don't have a quiestions about theoretical part of the course. but what can i expect from practical training. Does it include a physical training or do they expext you to be phisicaly ready and just concentrate on technical part?Thank you.:rolleyes:

Your an RN with a ADN? You want to be an EMT-B? Go with ER nurse or Critical care transport. Or, if you really really want to, go to Paramedic school.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
lol have you seen some of the EMT's and Medics out there? I work on cardio constantly because if you have a bad situation like having to perform manual CPR for 45 minutes you need ever ounce of energy you can get.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Pardon me, if my quiestion is naive or inappropriate, but wouldn't they have different weight lifting technics or regulations, depending if you are famale or male. just asking...

Why? Equal means equal.

JPINFV

Gadfly
:ph34r:pardon me, if my quiestion is naive or inappropriate, but wouldn't they have different weight lifting technics or regulations, depending if you are famale or male. just asking...:unsure:

Why? Your patient isn't all of a sudden going to lose weight just because there's a female or two on the crew.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Didn't have anything for EMR/EMT-B...but for EMT/EMT-I, we are required to lift 250 lbs with a partner and carry it up and down 2 flghts of stairs. Just remember: the wall is there specifically so you could lean on it...lol.
The last time I was in the gym I was lifting at one machine 200lbs so lifting 250lbs with a partner wouldn't be much of a problem. As for different standards for male and female personnel should not happen. The same standards should apply for both. I noticed in a post here hints to sort of cheat by using the wall another is find yourself the strongest classmate to partner up with. I would probably partner up with the smallest class member because EMS is all about team work where members of the team compensate for each other so that the pt will get the best care possible.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Your an RN with a ADN? You want to be an EMT-B? Go with ER nurse or Critical care transport. Or, if you really really want to, go to Paramedic school.

Not exactly. I got academic sertificate of credit. I quit year before graduation to move to USA. i've went to pretty good med colege in Russia, but it's been 3 years ago and nobodys gonna look at it. i've done different jobs, but nothings kinda stuck. I'm thinking of going back into a medical field and EMT-B got shortest course plus i wanna be realistic and try myself, before i go and spend another year or 2 for EMT-I. :)

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
lol have you seen some of the EMT's and Medics out there? I work on cardio constantly because if you have a bad situation like having to perform manual CPR for 45 minutes you need ever ounce of energy you can get.

Lol back at u. if i wanna find somedy to talk me out of it, i'd pick up the phone and call my mama. i'm here for advice, not more not less.:ph34r:
And yes i did see EMTs outthere, but everybody got equal rights for education and training...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
No. Equal as in equal standards for both. Your question was offensive and sexist.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
No. Equal as in equal standards for both. Your question was offensive and sexist.

I thought some might take it that way, but i am not gonna appologize TWISE. read my post again, i thought i made it clear...:ph34r:

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
The last time I was in the gym I was lifting at one machine 200lbs so lifting 250lbs with a partner wouldn't be much of a problem. As for different standards for male and female personnel should not happen. The same standards should apply for both. I noticed in a post here hints to sort of cheat by using the wall another is find yourself the strongest classmate to partner up with. I would probably partner up with the smallest class member because EMS is all about team work where members of the team compensate for each other so that the pt will get the best care possible.

I've got so much to learn...

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes like others have said we technically expect equal out of everyone regardless of sex. That doesn't mean that I won't grab the cot an extra time when I'm on with a female it just means that they should be able to lift their share. As for lifting techniques I'm pretty tall (6'4) and I find it best to find a shorter partner and I always take the down end when going up/down stairs.

Because the partner at the top is short they naturally hold their end slightly lower and because I'm tall I naturally hold my end slightly higher keeping the patient closer to level without straining. If a shorter partner would take the down end they would have to hold the cot over their head to keep the patient level. At the same time I would be bent very far over trying to keep my end low, placing me in an awkward position that leads to many back injuries again trying to keep the patient level.

So far in the field I've only had one partner (yes it happened to be a female) that couldn't lift her share but in our area FD is automatically dispatched on most calls and available for a lift assist on anything they're not dispatched for. Don't be shy about calling them if either you or your partner are unable to safely lift a patient as no patient is worth your career (read back).

jochi1543

Forum Captain
The last time I was in the gym I was lifting at one machine 200lbs so lifting 250lbs with a partner wouldn't be much of a problem.

It's not the lifting that's hard, it's the carrying it up and down the stairs part...just walking on a flat surface with the stretcher off the ground isn't hard - but it's also unrealistic.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Yes like others have said we technically expect equal out of everyone regardless of sex. That doesn't mean that I won't grab the cot an extra time when I'm on with a female it just means that they should be able to lift their share. As for lifting techniques I'm pretty tall (6'4) and I find it best to find a shorter partner and I always take the down end when going up/down stairs.

Because the partner at the top is short they naturally hold their end slightly lower and because I'm tall I naturally hold my end slightly higher keeping the patient closer to level without straining. If a shorter partner would take the down end they would have to hold the cot over their head to keep the patient level. At the same time I would be bent very far over trying to keep my end low, placing me in an awkward position that leads to many back injuries again trying to keep the patient level.

So far in the field I've only had one partner (yes it happened to be a female) that couldn't lift her share but in our area FD is automatically dispatched on most calls and available for a lift assist on anything they're not dispatched for. Don't be shy about calling them if either you or your partner are unable to safely lift a patient as no patient is worth your career (read back).

Yes, i've witnesses that scenario not long ago(the one with FD on call). guess it depend on a area (was a small town).
but anyway do they actualy teach you body mechanics or ergonomics (i had 44 hours 0f ergonomics in nursing) or they kinda say: you'll see, when you get there. proper body positioning and all...