Physical requirements of EMT-B

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Hello!My name is Svet. I have academic certificate of 2 years in nursing college from 3 years age. i am not a EMT nor am i a student. But i am interested in this profession and curently thinking about gonig for EMT-B training. i don't have a quiestions about theoretical part of the course. but what can i expect from practical training. Does it include a physical training or do they expext you to be phisicaly ready and just concentrate on technical part?Thank you.:rolleyes:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Unless you're part of a fire program I've never heard of physical training as part of class but it's a good idea to take care of that yourself if you want your back to hold up.

Hockey

Quackers
As long as you can fit into a uniform, lift, and fit in a rig, and able to do your job, I don't think they care

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
As long as you can fit into a uniform, lift, and fit in a rig, and able to do your job, I don't think they care

I most certainly will fit, not a problem. But im a lil concerned, read a book Emergency training, 10th edition. do they seriously expect u to lift 125 pounds right of. I weight 128, am i in trouble?:unsure:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Crimson, I'm 110, and, no, I'm not expected to lift 125, I'm expected to lift 140. If your worried, hit the gym, with a trainer, and start strength training.

Oh, and some EMT programs DO have physical training components.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
I most certainly will fit, not a problem. But im a lil concerned, read a book Emergency training, 10th edition. do they seriously expect u to lift 125 pounds right of. I weight 128, am i in trouble?:unsure:

Not at all, as of this morning I weighed 111 lbs. I regularly lift, with assistance of an equally small partner, people who are easily double my weight. Hit the weight room!

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Crimson, I'm 110, and, no, I'm not expected to lift 125, I'm expected to lift 140. If your worried, hit the gym, with a trainer, and start strength training.

I am serious:excl:personal advice? how many month in anvance to start?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I started 2 months before my class started. But, you need to get with a trainer, do it right.... I would have started sooner, but that was how much lead time I had.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
I started 2 months before my class started. But, you need to get with a trainer, do it right.... I would have started sooner, but that was how much lead time I had.

But would EMT instructors test your physical strenght prior to course?:unsure:I was kinda hoping to work on that during the course.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
But would test your physical strenght prior to course?:unsure:

I wouldn't be overly concerned about getting into great shape prior to class. Yes, hitting the gym now and lifting weights is an excellent idea. However, most of the heavy lifting comes with your first job in EMS, not in the class.
I was expected to lift other students in a pram, stair chair, backboard, etc. However, the heaviest person I probably had to lift (people in class were in relatively good shape) was about 170, and I usually had a fairly strong person lifting on the other side. In clinicals and ride alongs, we were specifically forbidden from lifting. Period. Keep in mind other EMT programs may be different and may expect more or less of you.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
But would EMT instructors test your physical strenght prior to course?:unsure:I was kinda hoping to work on that during the course.

Depends on the course. You haven't yet told us where you are. That might matter.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
I wouldn't be overly concerned about getting into great shape prior to class. Yes, hitting the gym now and lifting weights is an excellent idea. However, most of the heavy lifting comes with your first job in EMS, not in the class.
I was expected to lift other students in a pram, stair chair, backboard, etc. However, the heaviest person I probably had to lift (people in class were in relatively good shape) was about 170, and I usually had a fairly strong person lifting on the other side. In clinicals and ride alongs, we were specifically forbidden from lifting. Period. Keep in mind other EMT programs may be different and may expect more or less of you.

:)Oh-oh, i was greatly confused and misinformed before i read your post. U see: when i had hospital practise during study in medical college, nurses and doctors would make us move pts all the time, even freshly dead. Althought it was in another country and some years ago...

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok, I'm not familiar with any programs in that area, so, can't tell you if they test you first, or in class, or not.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member

:rolleyes:Thank you! Thats pretty much what i wanted to know.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Didn't have anything for EMR/EMT-B...but for EMT/EMT-I, we are required to lift 250 lbs with a partner and carry it up and down 2 flghts of stairs. Just remember: the wall is there specifically so you could lean on it...lol.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Didn't have anything for EMR/EMT-B...but for EMT/EMT-I, we are required to lift 250 lbs with a partner and carry it up and down 2 flghts of stairs. Just remember: the wall is there specifically so you could lean on it...lol.

:ph34r:pardon me, if my quiestion is naive or inappropriate, but wouldn't they have different weight lifting technics or regulations, depending if you are famale or male. just asking...:unsure:

jochi1543

Forum Captain
:ph34r:pardon me, if my quiestion is naive or inappropriate, but wouldn't they have different weight lifting technics or regulations, depending if you are famale or male. just asking...:unsure:

Never heard of anything like that. I personally don't think it makes much sense to have different requirements for genders. You either can lift your patient, or you can't. I think anyone going into EMS should be expected to be able to lift a reasonably-sized adult with a partner.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
They key is to learn to lift properly with your legs. You aren't expected to curl somebody. I got some practice during clinical's with lifting patients, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Lifting them in/out of ambulance with them on stretcher.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
They key is to learn to lift properly with your legs. You aren't expected to curl somebody.

Yeah, there are also lots of ways to "cheat." Lean on the wall to keep your balance (balance seems to be the main issue for people), as I mentioned before, "hook" the stretcher onto your belt, rest it against your thighs or pelvis rather than trying to hold it up with just your arms, and start by going backwards up the stairs if you are the weaker person in your crew, since it's usually the toughest part of it.