Phillips & LP12

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Reaction score
(Searched and didn't find anything)

Which do you use? Any preferences?

My school trains us on the Phillips, but I also hear good about the LP12(15). The Phillips is also used by MedStar here in Ft Worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate the Phillips monitor.... it gives the poorest tracings... as in almost always. LP12 is by far a more quality and better made monitor.

I have only ever used the LP12 in the field, well the LP 10 or whatever. I do not really like the 12, maybe it's just ours...
I have seen the philips as a demo several times and I liked it. Have not heard good things around town about the zoll, but never used it myself.

I hate the Phillips monitor.... it gives the poorest tracings... as in almost always. LP12 is by far a more quality and better made monitor.

I actually completely disagree. I have found the MRX to have great tracings with minimal artifact and false alarms. Even in the helicopter. On the other hand, I used the LP-12 in my clinic in Baghdad. Air from the A/C would cause it to produce artifact!

I also like the real time 12 lead that the MRX produces vs. the same 3 seconds in all leads that my LP-12 gave.

The MRX also has recessed and protected connections on the sides vs. the front of the LP 12. Too easy to smack connections around.

We also perform sidestream ETCO2 on every pt. which to my knowledge isn't even available on the LP-12. We also use the core temperature probe which I also do not believe to be available on the 12.

Adding additional components such as hemodynamics is also a snap to set up on the MRX.

Battery life is also better.

Its the MRX for me hands down!

I actually completely disagree. I have found the MRX to have great tracings with minimal artifact and false alarms. Even in the helicopter. On the other hand, I used the LP-12 in my clinic in Baghdad. Air from the A/C would cause it to produce artifact!

I also like the real time 12 lead that the MRX produces vs. the same 3 seconds in all leads that my LP-12 gave.

The MRX also has recessed and protected connections on the sides vs. the front of the LP 12. Too easy to smack connections around.

We also perform sidestream ETCO2 on every pt. which to my knowledge isn't even available on the LP-12. We also use the core temperature probe which I also do not believe to be available on the 12.

Adding additional components such as hemodynamics is also a snap to set up on the MRX.

Battery life is also better.

Its the MRX for me hands down!

Sorry buddy, have to disagree on this one. I am quite the opposite don't care for the MRX. LP we has all those features as you described too. They are already built in, all one has to do is have them place the cartridge in. We have a few services that

LP 12 has an easy side stream and mainstream component and are very easy to use. The LP15 has some nice new features but I believe over priced for right now. We'll see how it works out...

R/r 911

Sorry buddy, have to disagree on this one. I am quite the opposite don't care for the MRX. LP we has all those features as you described too. They are already built in, all one has to do is have them place the cartridge in. We have a few services that

LP 12 has an easy side stream and mainstream component and are very easy to use. The LP15 has some nice new features but I believe over priced for right now. We'll see how it works out...

R/r 911

Didn't realize that sidestream ETCO2 was available, good to know. What about invasive hemo monitoring though? Will the LP-12 transduce an art line or a swan?

Personal preference I guess.

MRx used in my service and I really don't like them at all. We've also had a lot of problems with them in terms of dodgy tracings, strange capnography waveforms (that don't appear when you change to a different monitor), leads failing, all sorts of stuff.

I do like the battery life over the LP12, but that is all.

LP15 looks very nice, but haven't used it so can't really say.

Also haven't used the Zoll. There are other brands out there liek Schiller who seem to make nice stuff (from the websites and brochures) but I haven't seen them outside of Europe.

Didn't realize that sidestream ETCO2 was available, good to know. What about invasive hemo monitoring though? Will the LP-12 transduce an art line or a swan?

Personal preference I guess.

Yeah, it will do all of the general waveform and hemo's (arterial, CVP, Swan Ganz etc) What is amazing is they are set to do this, but alike computers you have to purchase them to turn it on. There is a cassette that one enters into it to use for hemodynamics but pretty simple.

I do agree there is too much artifact but the second generation cables appear to be better than before.

I have not used the LP15, just tinkered with it from a rep. I don't think there is much difference from 12 but the cable is definitely bigger and stronger, as well there is a built in Co detector with the Spo2 cable. No longer a monochrome screen and that decreases the sun glare, and helps decrease the confusion of multiple areas such as wave forms.

One of my only reasons I like the Physio products is the quick turn around on service and replacement. In comparison of other makers, it is better. Maybe with competition all of them will step up. I agree that each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

R/r 911

This is a pretty sad reason...but I like the MRx just a tad bit better than the LP12 operationally because it has squishy buttons instead of the LP roller dial. :D

I find it strange that Physio-Control still hasn't adopted a "ready for use" indicator like the MRx or Zoll R Series. (Not that this replaces the daily check out or anything.)

I think The MRx 12-lead cable system is a hot mess, whereas the LP12 is better thought out. I also appreciate the much larger EKG paper that the LP12 comes with. Oh that the fact it says "***ACUTE MI***" in big big words instead of that tiny line in the MRx that says Acute MI at the very bottom of the interpretation. When you're in a system that requires computer interpretation for a STEMI activation its somewhat helpful to see the warning! Me and my bad eyes. ;)

For the MRx I like the twist-knob feature for energy selection instead of having to use the arrows. Had two times though where the defib turned on while putting it into a FD engine since the knob caught the side of something. I wish the start up made a "BEEP BEEP" noise when it turned on to manual.

For all the defibrillators out there...the supplied equipment bags that come with them standard...are terrible!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is like asking which flavor of ice cream is best; everyone will have their own response, and none is more right than the other. I tend to like cookies and cream.

Have had the luxury of having used both LP's and Phillips/HP's. Much to be said about both but honestly..I really like the LP 10C for its user friendly size...without the 12 lead box of course. Too bad we had to go and make progress with capnography and 12 leads :>) Physio is having some service issues as well. Anyone else notice?

Yeah that shipping suspension was on for a while wasn't it? Kinda disconcerting, it affected everything from the Lifepak CR Plus to the LP 12.

I use LP12s in internship, was trained on both LP and Phillips, and used Zoll M-series at my old job. I really do prefer the Zolls. I'm not experienced in the CCT functions of any of the monitors, but from what I have used, it's my personal preference

I always preferred the Zoll M's at my last service, just because they were EtCO2 and temperature equipped, and the Lifepak 12's weren't.

The LP seemed really behind the times, missing features like color/inverted screens, and an AC charging cord, that come standard on the Zoll and Phillips monitors. The LP15 does have these things.

I still do like the LP for ease of use, but have gotten used to using both Zoll's E and M series on our ALS trucks.

And my $0.02 regarding AEDs; Phillips has always had the best, although the Zoll AED Pro is now competing.

Phillips vs LP12

I've used the LP 10 LP12, PHillips MRX, and Zoll M series CCT monitor. Of the bunch, I prefer the Phillips. Good tracings, easy access to accessories, I dislike the twiddle and push method of changing things on the LP 12, give a a switch and a couple of chiclet buttons and I'm good to go.

Another Phillips plus---

The PulseOx boot ^_^

Back