Pets in a burning home...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
That's ok, I could do jail, as long as my piggies were alive for when I got out.

I'm tough. I can handle jail.

I've got one word for you .........

PACO!

:p

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hey I always make a little bar-b-que. You have to remember, I am country boy. In the morning it might be a pet but by the afternoon dinner. Many times I remember petting an animal in the morning and putting gravy over it at night.

R/r 911

OP
OP
SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear

Forum Crew Member
And you would probably be joining the guy in the cell right next to him.

That's what we don't know about this situation. We don't know what actions the arrested guy did that caused him to get arrested. If he struck any FF/Police/EMS worker then he absolutely deserves to be in jail and the charges shouldn't be dropped. If he interfered with firefighting operations, then he not only put his own life at risk, he risked those of the FF's and cops in addition to risking his neighbors lives and property.

The article mentions noone was hurt (from chasing him) so we have to assume that's the case. Problem is the guy may have struck the officers in blind grief--his house was burning and his pets were dying. I can't tell you how many times I've been struck by half crazed patients and even family members. I never pressed charges. Cell is fine, detainment is ok--but the guy in the article was charged with a felony after loosing everything. IMHO whoever in the department pushed the issue has no soul. Just sayin :sad:

OP
OP
SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear

Forum Crew Member
I would not leave a burning house with out my piggies. They are my childrens, I love them dearly, and if I'm getting out, they're getting out too.

I think I would have to say I'm on your side here. The only thing that may stop me is if firefighters insisted on going in after me.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
R/R I absolutley love your version of PETA.

And I still say the guy should not be detained based on what I read/heard other than until the fire is out. Now I agree about interfering with FF placing them in danger but a FELONY???, Unless this guy pulled a weapon?,

But Again I wasnt there so I dont know all the circumstances.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The worst I ever saw was a woman whose chihuahua was inside a fully engulfed residence. She was absolutely out of control. We had to call LEOs to restrain her because she was repeatedly attempting to assault the chief (in the middle of extinguishing a structure fire) She kept screaming... "if it was a baby, you'd send someone in after it... That's my baby!!!" Chief finally told her.. "if it was a human baby and you left it home alone, you'd be in jail!"

There is no reason to jeopordize human life for an animal. I love my animals. I have many of them. I just took in another one on Saturday. I wept when my husky mix/companion of 14 years died this September. I still tear up when I find her photos around the house. But they are animals!

When the homeowner is unable to control themselves to the point where its dangerous to those doing their job.. its a crime. For it to warrant prosecution of a felony for the local prosecuting atty, there has to be certain criteria met. I'm sure it was met in this case, otherwise they would have pled it down to a lower charge.