Personalities... Thick skin.

OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
Hey Robb. Yeah I hear you on the 60 calls per year thing. I think I will definitely give it a rest. If my LT asks me why I am not responding on calls lately I will let him know kind of what's on my mind. Like I said reality is starting to kick in. I actually feel bad, because I have been on so many calls... I am sure I may have made it harder for the full time guys in some way shape or form...

It explains the evil eyes from the captain!

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
In regards to your perception of the attitudes of the paid guys:

What's the real relationship between the vollys and paid crews? Is there an old history of tension that maybe you don't know about?

I ask because I have been involved as a paid guy on a combination department where the employee's job status was dependent on the opinion of the volly command staff.
For that reason we would always be "friendly and happy to see" all volly members regardless of their care level or whether or not they were actually a hindrance on a call.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am asking if your FT guys are nice to you because they're paid to and there would be consequences if they weren't?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Op:

If all responses above assuming you are male are wrong, please correct us if it is meaningful to you.
;)

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Hey Robb. Yeah I hear you on the 60 calls per year thing. I think I will definitely give it a rest. If my LT asks me why I am not responding on calls lately I will let him know kind of what's on my mind. Like I said reality is starting to kick in. I actually feel bad, because I have been on so many calls... I am sure I may have made it harder for the full time guys in some way shape or form...

It explains the evil eyes from the captain!

Instead of waiting for the LT to notice that you're not responding, why not just contact your LT and tell him about your concerns. That way it makes you look more proactive than reactive.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
September isn't too far away. That's when my school starts. I think the best thing for me right now is to study up. Especially since I have the book already. Just read it inside and out... That way when EMT class roles around I will be ahead of the game you know?

I'm going to have a long wait till next semester too, I can understand that..

Is there an EMR class you can take over the summer? Do you have a HCP-CPR cert yet?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I never really knew what I wanted to do until a year ago. I love EMS. There are people on the dept who have no certs at all. The thing with me is I went the Law enforcement route at 21 and decided that was not for me. I wasn't aloud to get out of the trucks until I was 18. So for two years I was working full time and I never really decided what I wanted to do. I may have said that wrong... The fire dept has known me for well over 4 years but there have been times where I had to resign. Like moving out of the city etc... I would still go visit them and say hi but I was never an official volunteer until I was 18. They taught me a lot at the station... I ran many calls. They know my passion for it, but at the time I was doing PD ride along's as well.

I think EMS fits my personality type a lot better... That's the thing I could never make up my mind on what I wanted to do. So I wasted a lot of time in between which I regret.

There are people who show up on calls who have no certs at all. I got my CPR, and basic first aid... but I have been on so many calls I have been allowed to do vitals and I am so familiar with the equipment I can administer oxygen etc. They would take me down in the bay area and showed me how everything worked. They said if we responded on a intoxicated party I could do some basic vitals etc. So I am familiar with that stuff. Medical terminology... Talking to the ambulance crew etc.

I regret lagging though and not getting my EMT earlier. I was young and didn't quite know what I wanted to go for. The captain on the full time side went to school with my mom and I know them all very well. They teach me a lot and trust me. Quite a bit of policies have changed though. The chief is hammering me to get my EMT as soon as possible so I can start doing EMS stuff. It starts in September. I got me a job today too so it's going good so far.

Maybe it is because I haven't had my coffee yet, but this doesn't really answer my question. What have you been doing for 4 years at the department? What is the point of volunteering with no qualifications?

Very bluntly, if I was in a position of power in a volly department, and someone joined and didn't get either their EMT or FF within 6 months they would be gone. Unless the department has "driver only" positions, there is absolutely no point in having uncertified people running around.

Rettsani

Forum Captain
Do I understand correctly you're Unemployed, you worked as a volunteer at a firedepartment and do not have any qualifications ?

How does this work ?

OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
Maybe it is because I haven't had my coffee yet, but this doesn't really answer my question. What have you been doing for 4 years at the department? What is the point of volunteering with no qualifications?

Very bluntly, if I was in a position of power in a volly department, and someone joined and didn't get either their EMT or FF within 6 months they would be gone. Unless the department has "driver only" positions, there is absolutely no point in having uncertified people running around.

Ohh I gotcha. Theres two sides to the volunteer part. Obviously the calls, but then theres helping raise money for kids at chistmas... Donation stuff etc. I am into all of that too.

Rett- I have a job now. But yeah you are correct on the second part. I dont know, but I do know there are people without any certs like myself who have been on for over ten years. Thats changing in September. I forgot to mention there's a mandatory academy I have to go through which starts very soon for all volunteers.

OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
I also do have my CPR and basic first aid. Not much use if there is a full time medic and EMT always on scene... But its something. EMT school starts soon.

OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
Sorry for my grammar up above... I was on my mobile. Also sorry for the double post!

I am just going to throw this out here... From what I am hearing.

Would you all suggest to start doing ride a longs with the ambulance especially since it's strictly EMS I want to get into anyway? I really don't want to cause any issues for the full time guys there.

There are people on the volunteer side who actually have more rank over the full time guys. I don't know how that works to be honest... For as long as I have been there even...

I am just the guy that tries to help out on those calls but I never knew how much I was getting in the way. It's weird though like I said... All the full time guys know me very well and are always happy to see me and sometimes will ask me why I haven't been showing up on calls. So I guess I am just confused!

Your replies help me a lot... I just don't really know where I should go from here. I love being on scenes and helping... but until I get my EMT cert, I can see where everyone is coming from. I guess I just never really saw it from the full time guys point of view.

I know you guys are EMT's and medics as well, and from the replies I am getting (Thanks again for helping me out on this) I don't know... I just don't want to get in the way. Maybe it's better to start doing ride a longs with the ambulance but still making it to the training's at the FD and not running calls.

Like I said... I actually feel bad if I have been making it harder for the full time guys. I was kind of blind I guess.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I am just the guy that tries to help out on those calls but I never knew how much I was getting in the way. It's weird though like I said... All the full time guys know me very well and are always happy to see me and sometimes will ask me why I haven't been showing up on calls. So I guess I am just confused!

If the full time guys and gals don't have an issue with you being there you need to talk to your captain and see what her issue is.

Approach her kindly and calmly and find out what she wants. If the crews don't have an issue and have been asking why you haven't been around to help there may be something more that's irking her, ya know?

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Glad I could make you laugh, Cody1911!

DEMedic took down my post and sent me a pm saying it was an infraction against forum policy or something because it was inappropriate or not family friendly. I didn't see it, but I don't enforce the rules or interpret them.

But to reiterate without the inappropriateness, go get your EMT and do whatever you want to do. You may even get paid after that!

Imagine that!

Anywhere you work, there's always somebody that will rub you the wrong way. It's human behavior.

OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
Glad I could make you laugh, Cody1911!

DEMedic took down my post and sent me a pm saying it was an infraction against forum policy or something because it was inappropriate or not family friendly. I didn't see it, but I don't enforce the rules or interpret them.

But to reiterate without the inappropriateness, go get your EMT and do whatever you want to do. You may even get paid after that!

Imagine that!

Anywhere you work, there's always somebody that will rub you the wrong way. It's human behavior.

No worries trashtruck I needed the laugh! Yeah... I think in ANY career you will always run into people who will rub you the wrong way. It just sucks she has to do it on scene. I just wish she could have waited until after the call to tell me too. Instead of in front of the patient... Pt was intoxicated but still. I'd never treat anybody like that. But yup! Very excited for EMT school to roll around. I want to get my IV cert after. Just kind of go from there.

Hockey

Quackers
Reminds me of the special kid that always followed the fire trucks to the scene, or heard a medical and was always there...

Nothing towards you OP

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
Reminds me of the special kid that always followed the fire trucks to the scene, or heard a medical and was always there...

Nothing towards you OP

why do I feel so bad for laughing so hard when I just read this?

cbabymedic

Forum Ride Along
Hey i dont think anybody can understand your situation if they havent lived through it. Ive encountered many difficult people like this. Just imagine this you just have to share moments withher butshe has to wake up everyday and b with herself forever! Youll get through it and soon enough youll b emtp like me! Just keep sticking to it, can you file a complaint?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Cody, after that don't worry about your dermal thickness.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I also do have my CPR and basic first aid. Not much use if there is a full time medic and EMT always on scene... But its something. EMT school starts soon.

That's more than I had when I first started volunteering with my local fire department. I walked through the door to help animals affected by fires and car accidents. I had my LVT (veterinary technician license) but no certs that would allow me to treat humans. Since they had a need for more women on the EMS side, I started being a chaperone for patients with 'female issues' (pregnancy, etc) if there was an all-male crew. I then took AVOC and became a driver. After 2 years I got into an EMT course and got licensed for that as well.

And as far as the original reason for joining? Seems there's not much call for that around here. I've had only 1 four-legged patient, but many many more human patients.

Edited to add:
I'll second the "don't worry about your dermal thickness" bit. A lot of the "good ol' boys" on the department didn't think I'd make it. It was more than a year before I even got an EMS jacket and helmet, and that was just because I was going to a training class that was a joint class with a few local departments, and it was needed for safety reasons. I stuck with it, ignored the ones who tried to block me, did what I could when I could. Now most of the "good o' boys" are gone for one reason or another, but I'm still there.

Last edited by a moderator: