Penetrating traumatic arrest, work or not?

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
You have a mid 30s male with multiple gsw's to the chest. Pulseless and apneic, showing a wide complex PEA at a rate of 30 on the monitor, fixed pupils. Call time was 15 minutes ago but bystanders can't advise any details on pt condition prior to arrival. Who out there would work it, who would pronounce? What are the protocols for everyone's system? For the sake of the scenario, you're 5-10 minutes from a small ER with no specialties, and 40 minutes from a trauma center.

Last edited:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ugh the pea is what would force us to work it. Work it on scene and then call it. There is zero point in transporting it.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'd be stuck working it, and an attempt at pronouncement would likely be denied since A. There's no GSW to the head and B. The patient still exhibits some cardiac activity.

If I start working it and he becomes asystolic, the rhythm is trending towards agonal, and/or the EtCO2 output is terrible, medical control might be more likely to grant me termination orders. This is going to be very doc dependent too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
We'd likely pronounce. Our PEA rate for being required to work a traumatic arrest is >40 (and unofficially a narrow complex >40). Along with the rate qualifier, there is also Presence of VF/VT, or Arrest in front you (of course) or any first responder.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Our protocol is 2 minutes of high quality CPR with BLS airway, NRB mask at 15lpm, and bilateral decompression if suspected pneumo. Then call it if nothing improves.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
No palpable pulse with exsanguination as the apparent cause of death? Call it.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Our protocol is 2 minutes of high quality CPR with BLS airway, NRB mask at 15lpm, and bilateral decompression if suspected pneumo. Then call it if nothing improves.
I like this... corrects the unlikely but correctable. Avoid working the unsalvagable.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
No palpable pulse with exsanguination as the apparent cause of death? Call it.

OP doesn't say anything about bleeding. I mean, that's obviously a pretty likely guess...

Dispatched 15 minutes ago but it sounds like don't have a very reliable story. For all we know he was alive until just before we pulled up on scene.

With so little information, young patient, penetrating trauma, 5 minutes from an ED who can at least give him blood... Maybe it's my inexperience, but I don't see how you can justify not working this at least for a few minutes before calling. I probably end up throwing him in the truck and transporting, it'll be less hassle to just let the hospital call it, and we can do interventions away from prying media eyes.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
OP doesn't say anything about bleeding. I mean, that's obviously a pretty likely guess...
Yeah, but with multiple GSW's to the chest, exsanguination is the most reliable assumption. If you had US you could take a look at how well the ventricles were filling and whether the lungs were compressed.

Dispatched 15 minutes ago but it sounds like don't have a very reliable story. For all we know he was alive until just before we pulled up on scene.

With so little information, young patient, penetrating trauma, 5 minutes from an ED who can at least give him blood... Maybe it's my inexperience, but I don't see how you can justify not working this at least for a few minutes before calling.

I actually think that's a really reasonable approach. I think if you wanted to go with a strictly EBM approach, you would not transport this guy. But OTOH, young healthy people surprise you sometimes and the long shots are sometimes worth it. With a five minute transport, I don't see much harm in transporting a patient like this.

Hopefully @ERDoc and the other EM guys will weigh in.

Last edited:

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
Our protocol is that if we arrive on scene to find a pulseless and apneic patient with traumatic injuries that is in Asystole or PEA at a rate of <40 then it we immediately call it on scene. If the PEA is greater than 40, shockable rhythm or other signs of life such as agonal breathing are present then we would transport it. If we start resuscitation on a traumatic arrest we must transport and you can not call it in the field like a medical code.

With so little information, young patient, penetrating trauma, 5 minutes from an ED who can at least give him blood... Maybe it's my inexperience, but I don't see how you can justify not working this at least for a few minutes before calling. I probably end up throwing him in the truck and transporting, it'll be less hassle to just let the hospital call it, and we can do interventions away from prying media eyes.

The patient in case though is not simply hypovolemic, which could be corrected with blood or fuids, but clearly has exsanguinating trauma which is causing him to bleed out rapidly. Even if EMS was capable of administering blood products he would be immediately bleeding out internally again and it would not matter. The only thing that might possibly save the patient is an operating room with an on duty trauma surgeon. Taking this patient to the small ER would not benefit him.

vf116

Forum Probie
I'd call it as well.

PEA greater than 30 or v-tach/fib gets worked with transport to closest unless trauma center is no more than 15 out. (Closest is a level 3 trauma, next is a community ER 30 mins away)

Wide complex PEA 30 or less, pt shall be determined to be dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
From my knowledge we dont work traumatic arrests because they have a hole somewhere that we can't fix.

However, pediatrics we always work them up and transport. Anyone know the reasoning for this?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
From my knowledge we dont work traumatic arrests because they have a hole somewhere that we can't fix.

However, pediatrics we always work them up and transport. Anyone know the reasoning for this?
Outdated thinking. People work peds when they shouldn't to 'prove to the parents that everything was done' when in reality that provides a false hope for them.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
The problem could be a damaged blood vessel, pneumo or both. The likelihood of survival in this case in minimal, neurological recovery is even less likely. As for where to take him, there is no good answer. He may or may not get a thoracotomy and chest tubes in the ER, it just depends on who the doc is.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Outdated thinking. People work peds when they shouldn't to 'prove to the parents that everything was done' when in reality that provides a false hope for them.

I don't see a problem with this. If it helps the family cope, why not?

I just can't imagine how this goes down in real life. You walk in, Mom and Dad are hysterical, you look at the kid and say "he dead, sorry" and leave? Really?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
If it helps the family cope, why not?
Does it though? I think breaking the news honestly would be easier on them.

Once you start pumping on the body in front of a family member, the family will make some sort of emotional investment. We can't forget that the act of resus has probably been played up to these families.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I just can't imagine how this goes down in real life. You walk in, Mom and Dad are hysterical, you look at the kid and say "he dead, sorry" and leave? Really?

It never, ever happens remotely like this. I've done only one pediatric DOA, but everyone else I know has done the human thing and broken the news (that the parents likely already know) as gently but directly as they can.

I spent over an hour on my scene talking to the family as well. We did our paperwork like on any DOA, waited for LE to respond, called a pastor and friend at the family's request, did some cleaning in the patient's room, then made a pot of coffee and sat with them as they told us about vacations they had taken and struggles with the decedent's illness. Emotionally draining, but worthwhile.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Lack of a pulse and organized respiratory activity upon my arrival and then lack of organized respiratory effort after basic airway maneuvers we'd call for termination. With that said I probably wouldn't even start working him to begin with and cite an injury incompatible with life as my reasoning.

If we did work him it would be extremely basic.We'd do compressions, basic airway maneuvers and the monitor then if they remained pulseless and apneic we'd call for TOR orders. Only advanced thing we might down would be a three hole punch but it would be under OLMC and since it's wide complex PEA it's not really indicated. Narrow complex PEA would be a different story.

If I witnessed him lose pulses I can do a three hole punch on standing orders then go from there.

For those of you who don't know a three hole punch is bilateral needle decompressions and a pericardiocentesis.

Generally a traumatic arrest with a wide complex PEA indicates structural damage to the myocardium which is virtually unsurvivable. Narrow complex PEA indicates an obstructive cause like a tamponade or tension pneumo.

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member

It's also protocol based, like in my county. Whether or not its outdated thinking, we still gotta do everything right, just a matter of agreeing with it or not.