Pediatric head trauma

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I don't get along with kids in the slightest. My medic school had us spend 4 hours at the schools daycare to help us. It was a very awkward moment for all of us.

Luckily I work in an area that has a huge number of geriatrics and not an extreme amount of kids. It's usually a very awkward transport. I'll usually have the kids parent in the back to keep them entertained.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
The main concern was... how to deal with the patient as in words, gestures, attitudes. Pediatrics and geriatrics tend to get me a little anxious, probably because I don't see many.
Don't see many geriatrics? Say wha?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My medic school had us spend 4 hours at the schools daycare to help us. It was a very awkward moment for all of us.

That's....unusual.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
That's....unusual.
At my paramedic school we went to a local daycare to do pediatric assessments as well. They had a variety of different age groups and we just talked to them really. I found it helpful as I don't have kids of my own yet nor do most of my friends. This was all pre-clinical. After we started clinicals, we did several shifts in the Children's Hospital to see some sick kids.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
At my paramedic school we went to a local daycare to do pediatric assessments as well. They had a variety of different age groups and we just talked to them really. I found it helpful as I don't have kids of my own yet nor do most of my friends. This was all pre-clinical. After we started clinicals, we did several shifts in the Children's Hospital to see some sick kids.
Never heard of that. Interesting.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
In regards to dealing with a peds pt, be slow and calm, especially if they are scared. Get the parents involved in the care when appropriate, do an "exam" on the parent to show the child what is going to happen and that it is not scary. Never stand over a kid, try to always be at their level. I am constantly on my knees when taking care of kids.

As for the medical treatment of this kid (I know it's not what the OP was asking about), the community hospital should be fine. Although a few details are missing, it doesn't sound like this kid needs a head CT (see the PECARN head CT study). We've all fallen and hit our heads at some point.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Not so much concerned about that part as-- how to deal with kids? (Mannerisms)

I'm awkward enough with adults. I'm terrified that kids may be terrified of me

yes the MOI is ambiguous but can't get more into unfortunately

Well, my first concern is that this MOI isn't really a concern with you. Even as a FR, your first priority is to the patient, being awkward or not. A 4 year old simply doesn't fall out of a car (as a mother of 2 boys and being a nanny of 5 boys for 7 years in college), let alone hitting her head so hard that she has an altered mental status (not believing the mom at this point) because a normal reaction would be to hold your arms out to protect the pumpkin head. Were there lacerations on the hands or elbows? If you see these things and encounter the mother and she says these things, you absolutely need to tell the EMS en route your general impression. This should absolutely be your first concern. 2nd, if you smile and goof off with them, most likely you'll be ok with the kid. But my first concern is your lack of concern of the MOI.

Amelia

^ That is just going off by what you say... during my first cup of coffee. If I had misread, I apologize, but the "fell out of a car and is normally quiet" doesn't cut it for me, to be honest. Possible? Absolutely, but I'd at least tell the EMS that something is a bit off- if they see it too, good, if not, good too.

OP
OP
RedAirplane

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, my first concern is that this MOI isn't really a concern with you. Even as a FR, your first priority is to the patient, being awkward or not. A 4 year old simply doesn't fall out of a car (as a mother of 2 boys and being a nanny of 5 boys for 7 years in college), let alone hitting her head so hard that she has an altered mental status (not believing the mom at this point) because a normal reaction would be to hold your arms out to protect the pumpkin head. Were there lacerations on the hands or elbows? If you see these things and encounter the mother and she says these things, you absolutely need to tell the EMS en route your general impression. This should absolutely be your first concern. 2nd, if you smile and goof off with them, most likely you'll be ok with the kid. But my first concern is your lack of concern of the MOI.

Not to say I wasn't concerned about the MOI.

I meant in terms of what I was asking on the forum, I felt comfortable enough with head trauma, coordinating with EMS, etc. the part I was less sure about was the dealing with kids bit so that's what I asked

OP
OP
RedAirplane

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
^ That is just going off by what you say... during my first cup of coffee. If I had misread, I apologize, but the "fell out of a car and is normally quiet" doesn't cut it for me, to be honest. Possible? Absolutely, but I'd at least tell the EMS that something is a bit off- if they see it too, good, if not, good too.

Yes the MOI can see a bit bizzare, passed up the chain with concern of whay actually happened noted

Amelia

Ok. :D I'm a mom so those things catch my attention big time. But as for kids- be smiley, goofy, cartoon-like. If it doesn't fly, go into teddy-bear, soft caring mode. Let the kid help with what s/he can. Don't ask permission, but like "Which arm should we hug?" (with the bp cuff). "Which eye should I look at first?" "Do you have a tongue?" etc.... just remember what you liked when you were a kid. :)