pediatric drugs

emtssave

Forum Probie
hi everyone ,I am almost done with my paramedic program and will start pediatrics may 16 =) happy but nervous .I wanted to know if anyone has a cheat sheet or a web site as a reference so I can be better prepared for class .any help is greatly appreciated

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Just use the PALS reference card. Has all kinds of meds with the peds doses on it.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Epi 0.01mg/kg
Amiodarone 5mg/kg
Adenosine 0.1mg/kg
Midazolam 0.02mg/kg
Fentanyl 1mg/kg

That should cover about 90% of your needs.

OP
OP
E

emtssave

Forum Probie
thank you very much sir =) and off topic guys quick question .lets say you get a pt with unstable vtach with a pulse and you sync and sync and sync and he codes on you yes sedate before you sync or pace =) but lets say he codes on you and you go through your acls protocols and get rosc and see on the monitor sinus rhythm with pvcs would you recommend amio 150mg.50ml bag over ten minutes using a 10 drop set or would you skip the amio and just 02 and monitor this guy ?my thinking was if this guy was in a ventricular to began with what is to say he wont go back into that again ? correct me if I am wrong

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Atropine is a critical one to have memorized. 0.02 mg/kg IV; double that dose for IM.

Sux is 2 mg/kg IV; double it for IM.

For fentanyl, I prefer the respiratory-drive sparing yet still-effective-as-an-analgesic dose of 1 MCG/kg. :)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
thank you very much sir =) and off topic guys quick question .lets say you get a pt with unstable vtach with a pulse and you sync and sync and sync and he codes on you yes sedate before you sync or pace =) but lets say he codes on you and you go through your acls protocols and get rosc and see on the monitor sinus rhythm with pvcs would you recommend amio 150mg.50ml bag over ten minutes using a 10 drop set or would you skip the amio and just 02 and monitor this guy ?my thinking was if this guy was in a ventricular to began with what is to say he wont go back into that again ? correct me if I am wrong

I would start by administering one bolus of punctuation. Followed by a maintenance infusion of proper sentence structure and capitalization.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Epi 0.01mg/kg
Amiodarone 5mg/kg
Adenosine 0.1mg/kg
Midazolam 0.02mg/kg
Fentanyl 1mg/kg

That should cover about 90% of your needs.
That seems like a low dose of Versed to me?

We're at 0.1mg/kg and our medical director today spent some time emphasizing pediatric tolerance of benzos during case review.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
That seems like a low dose of Versed to me?

We're at 0.1mg/kg and our medical director today spent some time emphasizing pediatric tolerance of benzos during case review.
I agree, the range is 0.02-0.1. I'd go with 0.1 personally, but a lot of people are in conservative areas. Hence when you give 2 mgs to a two year-old the QA system flips. For once I tried to be diplomatic lol.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
e7457f5f38353caee84c6fbfaca42645.jpg

Obviously, make sure any cheat sheet follows YOUR protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I agree, the range is 0.02-0.1. I'd go with 0.1 personally, but a lot of people are in conservative areas. Hence when you give 2 mgs to a two year-old the QA system flips. For once I tried to be diplomatic lol.
We have a two year old with Dravet Syndrome, gave her 7.5 of versed last time to get it to stop. And then left him on scene...joys of "community paramedicine" right there.

To bring it around though, make sure you learn the doses you'll be responsible for OP!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
We have a two year old with Dravet Syndrome, gave her 7.5 of versed last time to get it to stop. And then left him on scene...joys of "community paramedicine" right there.

To bring it around though, make sure you learn the doses you'll be responsible for OP!
Similarly, the most I've ever given to one patient was 17.5mgs....to an 8 year old on a 45 minute flight.

I remember looking at my partner as we cracked open the fourth vial thinking "is this gonna be ok????"

ShiannCamacho

Forum Probie
Hantevy is great. That is what helped me the most. Memorize the drug dose for each weight so you don't waste time moving decimals in your mind. Always remember with Peds...... Airway is (most of the time) the underlying issue!